PDA

View Full Version : Hitch balls, how often should they be replaced?

b121774
10-20-2008, 08:43 PM
For you guys that run trailer's everyday, how often do you wear out the ball's? I finally replaced mine after 2 years just to be safe. How bout the trailer part that goes over and latches onto the ball? What's the name of that?

Jason Rose
10-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Good idea to replace them, though 2 years wouldn't seem like it would wear that much on a solid steel ball... The hitch coupler on the trailer does wear, and is something that a lot of people never think about replacing. It's hard to monitor wear inside the coupler, and most of the time you never know there's a problem until a trailer hops off the ball with the coupler latched down. It's not all that common of a problem though, that I'm aware of.

Replacing the coupler on the trailer would require cutting the old welds and re-welding a new one in it's place. Unless you are a good welder I'd not attempt such a project since that is the lifeline to the trailer (critical welds). I prefer the Bulldog style couplers for most lawn/landscape trailers.

Excursion12
10-21-2008, 04:15 PM
The coupler part on the trailer is often adjustable. There is a nut on the bottom that you can tighten to make it tighter on the ball. If you run a trailer all the time it is a good idea to use grease on the ball. Many people won't because it is messy but it will make things last longer. Reese sells special grease for this very application.

Frontier-Lawn
10-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Good idea to replace them, though 2 years wouldn't seem like it would wear that much on a solid steel ball... The hitch coupler on the trailer does wear, and is something that a lot of people never think about replacing. It's hard to monitor wear inside the coupler, and most of the time you never know there's a problem until a trailer hops off the ball with the coupler latched down. It's not all that common of a problem though, that I'm aware of.

Replacing the coupler on the trailer would require cutting the old welds and re-welding a new one in it's place. Unless you are a good welder I'd not attempt such a project since that is the lifeline to the trailer (critical welds). I prefer the Bulldog style couplers for most lawn/landscape trailers.

i dont see how this is much better then the reg type?
http://www.ontheball.com/images/traile3.gif

Frontier-Lawn
10-21-2008, 05:14 PM
The coupler part on the trailer is often adjustable. There is a nut on the bottom that you can tighten to make it tighter on the ball. If you run a trailer all the time it is a good idea to use grease on the ball. Many people won't because it is messy but it will make things last longer. Reese sells special grease for this very application.

i use fluid film once ever 2 weeks and never had any probs.