PDA

View Full Version : Zone 4A

Steiner
10-20-2008, 09:36 PM
I live in Syracuse NY and have a retired couple that travel to go SCUBA diving often. They want to add some color and interest with as low maintenance plants as possible. Let me stress the low maintenance part. Almost every plant I brought up that would bring color to the party had some trimming, thinning, or fall trim down involved and they did not like it.

They did like the idea of ornamental grasses so I will be using quite a few of those in clumps.

I also may add some Alberta spruce for a different texture and height. Maybe some burning bushes as we have heavy clay soils. The front of the house is southern facing and receives full sun.

What other plants can give me a texture/color to drive curb appeal but yet be low on the maintenance side? What are your 5 all star plants from zone 4?

Steiner
10-21-2008, 05:40 PM
21 views and no replies?

dean1130
10-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Hey,
I live 3 hours north of you. Burning bush is a good one, goldflame or gold mound spirea, japanese barberry, Potentilla, rosa rugosa, even a purple sand cherry might not be too bad, Euonymus Emerad gaiety and Emerald n gold, and sea green juniper. Must shrubs will need to be sheared every few years. Those are the most common ones up here. A forsythia is a good one for spring time flowering, but will et big if not pruned back every 2 years... Hope this helps..

JimmyStew
10-22-2008, 07:39 PM
From your description, they are looking for "no maintenance" plants and those do not exist. Sell them on annual maintenance!

White Gardens
10-22-2008, 07:56 PM
I agree, I tell my customers there is no such thing as no maintenance. Just a matter of what level they want, and yes, sell them on tri-weekly maintenance.