PDA

View Full Version : New Husky ez 4217

hychewright
10-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi, I'm a home owner with 1 and half acres to cut. Going from a lawn tractor to ZTR. I live a mile from a Husky dealer and they have a ez 4217 with a 17 hp Kawasaki engine and a fab deck. They don't make this model anymore because they went to the kolher engine for this size ZTR. Some of my property is sloped, and most of it is fescue except the front yard is emerald zoysia. They are asking $4500 out the door. Is this a good deal? The dealer said it was low end commercial, high end residential. Any advise is appreciated.

Lamar Wright

dura to the max
10-21-2008, 12:15 AM
its probably a decent mower, but i would shy away from the briggs. i would also say if there is anything to the slopes that you mentioned that mower is going to be worthless, that small of a mower wont be as steady on hills as a larger ztr.

IMO i would look for a lightly used commercial ZTR or walk behind. now through the begining of the next mwing season you ought to be able to find some deals. a ton of people buy commercial stuff expecting to get rich cutting grass, and sell out at the end of the season or winter b/c their business failed.

dura to the max
10-21-2008, 12:17 AM
i would really look into a commercial grade walk behind for that size lawn though. great exercise, and fun to use IMO. w/ a 48" wb you should be able to cut that lawn in 20-40 minutes depending on obstacles.

hychewright
10-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Hey thanks for your advice, Yes, I have about a half acre that is on a slope of about 6 or 8 degrees. Rest is flat. I have to set to one side on my lawn tractor so I do need something heavier.

IHusky
10-21-2008, 12:25 PM
I found a EZ5224 for around what your dealer is asking plus shipping on ebay, so I not sure on how a great a deal it is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-52-HUSQVARNA-ZERO-TURN-LAWN-MOWER-24HP-KOHLER_W0QQitemZ140269598304QQihZ004QQcategoryZ50377QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its the center of gravity, size of hydo pumps and engine size that's going to help out on the slopes and hills. Also having a ROPS system if your going to use on slope or hills is definatley a good idea too!!!!

If you go with the EZ 4217, I would definatley demo it on your slopes, not all ZTR do good on slopes and that model probably has some small hydro motors and not too sure if that EZ 4217 would do much better than your lawn tractor, so definatley demo if you are going to buy.

If your going to go with it, I would counter with $4000 out the door, its the end of the year and sales are slowing down, so don't rush to buy it.

That being said, I think that a 48 or 52 walkbehind would do alot better on your slope. A 48" or 52" wb would cut the 1/2 acre slope in in no time at all and you could still use your lawn tractor for the flat areas if you wanted to ride. A 52" walkbehind with velke will definately out cut your lawn tractor.

Good luck

hychewright
10-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Hey thanks Husky. That sounds like a good plan. Tractor on flat and a good walk behind on the slopes! I'll start shopping for one. My tractor weights almost as the ez 4217. Thanks again