PDA

View Full Version : Started a New Good Size Pondless Waterfall

Venturewest
10-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Here are some pics of a pondless or disappearing waterfall I just started at a subdivision entrance center island. We placed 9 tons of moss boulders with the mini excavator yesterday. Today we will finish out a lot of the feature with foam, gravel and assorted sized river rock.

This will have an Easy Pro EP 10,000 gph pump. I used a Savio waterfall well, and I also used Aquascape aquablox so I wouldn't have to dig as large a hole

I will be landscaping the entire entrance in the next couple of weeks. This is the first time I have had control of the plantings surrounding one of my features so I am pretty excited.

I will post more pics as I go along.

yosoniamcool3
10-21-2008, 09:58 AM
how big is the area u got to work with

Venturewest
10-21-2008, 08:05 PM
I spent half the day getting the smaller rock. We didn't get too much done. Note the nasty foam will all be trimmed out.

The center island is 69' x 36' total. There will be about 3 1/2 feet of total fall. Length of feature will be about 25 or 30' long and meander a lot.

Venturewest
10-23-2008, 10:28 PM
We only had 3 hours to work on this today. It is taking shape and tomorrow we will finish, fill and test.

mzgloves20
10-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Sweet...lets see the finished!

Pondliner.guy
10-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks for telling me about your feature. Sorry the EP10000 already kicked the bucket on you. Hope the new pumps will be better for this feature

Andy

NewHorizon's Land
10-27-2008, 05:55 PM
What is the smaller rock 3/4 pea gravel?

Venturewest
10-27-2008, 07:16 PM
What is the smaller rock 3/4 pea gravel?

It is 1 1/2 " to 2 " washed river rock.. Some slightly smaller.

jfmx345
10-28-2008, 08:25 PM
looking GREAT so far... can't wait to see the final pics.
Were you able to place all those rocks with the 334? I used the same machine for a pondless waterfall and had problems moving smaller boulders than you have in there.

Venturewest
10-29-2008, 09:14 AM
looking GREAT so far... can't wait to see the final pics.
Were you able to place all those rocks with the 334? I used the same machine for a pondless waterfall and had problems moving smaller boulders than you have in there.

Yeah the 334 did just fine. I think 1200 lbs was the heaviest boulder. This was a 334 Long reach and I had it fully extended. Maybe they had the one you used governed down, or the hydraulics limited like they do sometimes with rentals. Of course I had the blade down to keep it from tipping.

My new pump had a problem, so I wont take any more pics until my new pumps arrive and we have permanent electric service out there. Maybe a few days. I decided to use 2 6000 gph Atlantic Water garden pumps. Only draw about 4 amps a piece. I will put one on a timer to turn off during the winter so I can keep one running so the feature doesn't freeze.

XStream Aquatics
10-31-2008, 10:30 PM
What is the max head on the Alantics

Venturewest
11-01-2008, 08:56 AM
What is the max head on the Alantics

Hey Larry, They wouldn't be worth using beyond 15' I bet. They put out a little over 4000 gph at 5'. Good for tons of efficient flow at low head.

ANC Stone Creations
11-01-2008, 07:04 PM
I would use 2 cal pumps, 7500 I have used many of them in larger water features.
These 2 together would pump around 10k-12k gph at that head height.
But they would draw about 7-8 amps per pump.

Venturewest
11-02-2008, 11:07 AM
I would use 2 cal pumps, 7500 I have used many of them in larger water features.
These 2 together would pump around 10k-12k gph at that head height.
But they would draw about 7-8 amps per pump.

I really want to push the energy efficiency of this subdivision entrance. I am going to install the latest LED lighting technology also. I used a ton of watefall foam so I wont lose any water. I tested the feature with a 8 gpm garden hose and I got water flow all the way to the bottom of my feature, even in one spot where I did a 3 way stream division. I think it will really flow with 8 or 9 K gph.

I am open to using the Cals sometimes though.

DUSTYCEDAR
11-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Nice work lookin good

Summit L & D
11-28-2008, 01:27 AM
Any updates on this feature?

TXNSLighting
11-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Wheres the resta the pics?

Venturewest
12-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Sorry for the delay. There has been a delay from the utility company getting permanent power out there. I wanted the next pics to have the waterfall flowing. There are 5 nice size loblolly pines and 3 blue atlas cedars behind the feature. It is going to get some nice scaping.

Just about time for the lighting. I will post ASAP

Kennedy Landscaping
12-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Looking foward to seeing the pictures. I am beginning to read up on these features, I may have a job next season involving the installation of a pondless feature

Lite4
12-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Hey Venture,
Ahhh, I just love seeing guys using large boulders for their waterfall construction. Looking very good, can't wait to see the finals.

Venturewest
01-07-2009, 08:43 PM
After 2 months of great anticipation we finally got the pumps running on the falls. Here are a few differant angles. I installed 2 6000 gph Atlantic W.G. pumps. These pics are taken with just one pump running.

Venturewest
01-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Check that weather out. January 7th...shorts and T shirt! Can't complain. :cool2:

Grace Irrigation
01-08-2009, 12:30 AM
It looks good. Where is this neighborhood located? I would like to see it.

Lite4
01-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Ron,
Very nice job breaking up the linear flow of that feature with the large mossy boulder in the middle forcing the flow out of line. Once again, excellent boulder placement and selection. I especially like how you arranged the mossy center boulder and tied it into the ones adjacent to it. Looks like some I have seen out in the woods. Very well done my friend.

mowerman111
01-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Yes sir very very nice! good work.

waterscaper
01-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Looks Great. The time you spent on rock placement shows.

tadpole
01-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Excellent!!

Venturewest
01-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks a lot for the compliments guys. I really enjoy building these. Now if I could sell more than 3 or 4 per year.

Pondliner.guy
01-15-2009, 10:38 AM
The feature came out great. I'm sure with 2 pumps running that thing would be gushing. I was surprised to hear about the higher amperage than previously indicated by Atlantic. Did you put a ball valve in line in case you want to lower the flow and the amperage?

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
01-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks a lot for the compliments guys. I really enjoy building these. Now if I could sell more than 3 or 4 per year.

LOL! That's no joke! I love building ponds and waterfalls, but pavers are what pay my bills.

Lite4
01-15-2009, 11:32 AM
With the slowdown, looks like I am going back into landscaping and of course waterfall construction. Now, I just need to find someone to work for. Could be a tough task to find a company nowdays. I am excited though. I have missed building waterfalls and hardscapes.

jasonlandscape
01-17-2009, 07:47 PM
With the slowdown, looks like I am going back into landscaping and of course waterfall construction. Now, I just need to find someone to work for. Could be a tough task to find a company nowdays. I am excited though. I have missed building waterfalls and hardscapes.

If you find anyone to work for and they or you need extra help, i'll move to idaho to work.

i have not had any work in about 6 weeks...mainly cuz i just started on my own about a yr ago and don't have enuff money to advertise.

scooterbug311
01-24-2009, 04:45 PM
venturewest...... it has been a long time since we have talked. how have you been? business going good? I really like that pondless you did. it is really beautiful. you should hit me up and we can chat!!!!

Venturewest
01-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Had to take some ice picks on our coldest morning of the year. About 7 degrees this morning.

TXNSLighting
01-29-2009, 12:00 AM
That is fantastic looking!

Chrysalis
02-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Had to take some ice picks on our coldest morning of the year. About 7 degrees this morning.

Hey Venture,

How do pumps and water feature hold up to below freezing temperatures? Are you able to keep the fall running even as the water starts to freeze with no problems?

Your friend,

Marc

letsplay
02-06-2009, 10:47 PM
The water features all of you guys do look great. They look like they have always been there. I love rock work, water features but I dont get to do much.

What size and type of excavators are you guys using to move such large boulders or larger boulders?

I don't think a bobcat 331 or the comparable size Takeuchi will move those size boulders in the pictures presented

Love the pictures. Thanks for the info.

XStream Aquatics
02-06-2009, 10:52 PM
I like to use between 8000-14000 lb. excavators.

Lite4
02-07-2009, 09:57 AM
The water features all of you guys do look great. They look like they have always been there. I love rock work, water features but I dont get to do much.

What size and type of excavators are you guys using to move such large boulders or larger boulders?

I don't think a bobcat 331 or the comparable size Takeuchi will move those size boulders in the pictures presented

Love the pictures. Thanks for the info.

Small lifts.................................Big lifts.

letsplay
02-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Nice big boy rocks!. Would love to see a finished photo with the large verticle rocks. any suggestions where to purchase large stone and boulders other then landscape supply centers?

You guys should all be proud of your work and thank you for sharing.

Lite4
02-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Ok, heres a few more pics of it.

letsplay
02-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks for sharing Tim. I wish we had some developements here that built such great water features. Impressive stuff. I was wondering how you got the vertical rocks to balance. If you don't mind me asking, how do you get the water effect on top of the stones? Is it just tubing that has been run up the sides or something else? Thanks again for the pictures. I would hire you!

tadpole
02-08-2009, 04:08 PM
I have basically the same question as 'letsplay'. If the large vertical stones are core drilled, who do you get to do the drilling? Very impressive Water Feature, would like to be able to market similar designs in this area, but the core drilling stopped me.

Lite4
02-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys. The largest boulder that was set by the crane has an 8" core drilled through 10' of it's entire length. The other smaller ones are 6" and 4" cores. We had a concrete cutting company come out and core them for us. On the really big ones we had the bases leveled off with a diamond wire saw to make setting easier. Once they were all set in place and the plumbing was done, we placed large, shorter base boulders around them in a sort of ring and filled up the interiors with concrete to stabilize the whole formation. Not one of my favorite features but it served it's purpose in a narrow entryway space.

burge19
02-19-2009, 01:43 PM
not to be nosy but what would somehting like that cost....!!! i wouldnt even know where to start..haha

Chrysalis
02-19-2009, 01:56 PM

Tim,

Put some consideration into moving down here to South Florida to make some good money down here for awhile! Business is great for installs / water features / lighting. We could combine forces! Plus, you just can't beat the weather, and the women. :)

Marc

Lite4
02-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Tim,

Put some consideration into moving down here to South Florida to make some good money down here for awhile! Business is great for installs / water features / lighting. We could combine forces! Plus, you just can't beat the weather, and the women. :)

Marc

Hey Marc,
I just took a job in Indy today. Sorry!

alf500series
10-05-2009, 12:17 AM
are you putting anything special under the heavy rocks to keep them from puncturing the liner?

Chrysalis
10-05-2009, 12:23 AM
just a double layer of rubber liner