PDA

View Full Version : Wright's new Stand on Comparrison Chart

tallimeca
10-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Got a pm from the site about Wright's new stand on comparrison chart, which compares the new Toro Grand Stand, their unit, and the Gravely/Great Dane.

Some points are valid. Wright makes a good unit.

However, I found this amusing. When talking about the Gravely/Dane, it said this

"— Platform is ahead of the rear wheels, making
it harder to get on and off quickly without
interference from the rear of the mower."

Haha. Not like your climbing over the rear wheels or anything...haha. You step onto the platform just like the Wright machine......except it's a 6 inch difference from where their platforms differ. How exactly does this interfer with getting on and off the machine? Hahahaha.:dizzy:

I kinda take this like the question the smarts of the people shopping for their mower.

They should post videos of why they have wheelie rollers on their machines if the balance is so great?

Here's a funny video. "This is Ms. Jones. Your guy was here to cut the lawn today and made a mess!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KcvCpPrO6M

Ever pick up your new Stander and think your tires look a little bald?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xES8GHFB00s

Ever wonder why you continuously are replacing hydro pumps, or why your guys never seem to finish on time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVOXgRpMzm4

Wright Mfg
10-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Some points are valid. Wright makes a good unit.

However, I found this amusing. When talking about the Gravely/Dane, it said this

"— Platform is ahead of the rear wheels, making
it harder to get on and off quickly without
interference from the rear of the mower."

Haha. Not like your climbing over the rear wheels or anything...haha. You step onto the platform just like the Wright machine......except it's a 6 inch difference from where their platforms differ. How exactly does this interfer with getting on and off the machine?

You might call it a minor point when you are just casually getting on and off the mower, but consider that you often get off a mower to pick up something in front of you and when you step off their machine you're still between the wheels and have to back out to go around the machine. You may still consider this a minor point, but there are also hairy situations you can get into and I would rather be on the back of the mower than surrounded by it. The bottom line is that there is no advantage to having the platform forward except for driving straight up a hill and the only reason it was designed that way was because Dane couldn't put the platform in the optimal position due to our patents. We still gave him a limited license to put it where it is, a less desirable position.

They should post videos of why they have wheelie rollers on their machines if the balance is so great?

You don't understand. We have rollers "because" the balance is so great. If our mower had less need for rollers, it would mean that the mower was more front heavy, and the mower would tend to nose dive when crossing hills.

Here's a funny video. "This is Ms. Jones. Your guy was here to cut the lawn today and made a mess!!!

Ever pick up your new Stander and think your tires look a little bald?

Those video's were not examples of how you should mow. What they do show is how maneuverable the ZK is at a high speed, and somewhat demonstrates the low polar moment. Any other mower would not turn as quickly and would be sliding more, and so you would have less control. The videos also show that you can stay on the machine when turning quickly without centrifugal force throwing you off, as it may with the rear platform example, particularly if it could go that fast.

Ever wonder why you continuously are replacing hydro pumps, or why your guys never seem to finish on time?

As I'm sure you know and as the video shows, machine abuse is not limited to the treatment of Standers. We had nothing to do with that video BTW.

Wright Mfg
10-21-2008, 01:19 PM
.....You step onto the platform just like the Wright machine......except it's a 6 inch difference......

It's actually at least a 9 inch diffenence because their tire is 18" (20" on JD) and the back of their platform is at least 1 inch ahead of the wheel axis.

tallimeca
10-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Jeez, take offense already. The video's were a joke!!! Haha.

You don't understand. We have rollers "because" the balance is so great. If our mower had less need for rollers, it would mean that the mower was more front heavy, and the mower would tend to nose dive when crossing hills.

Which also means when going UP a hill, the front casters come off the ground. Just like they do loading it on a trailor. Which is why you have wheelie wheels on it.

You might call it a minor point when you are just casually getting on and off the mower, but consider that you often get off a mower to pick up something in front of you and when you step off their machine you're still between the wheels and have to back out to go around the machine. You may still consider this a minor point, but there are also hairy situations you can get into and I would rather be on the back of the mower than surrounded by it. The bottom line is that there is no advantage to having the platform forward except for driving straight up a hill

You talk like you have to walk down a hallway to get on the competition. This is a stretch and why i'm pointing it out that i think it's silly.

So if I were in a "hairy situation" that you were surrounded by the machine on the competition, that means i'd be backed up against something, like if i slid backwards into a retaining wall??

......if you were on the back of it, like on your machine, I would would be getting crushed?

Look, i didn't post this to argue with you. I just think some of your comparrisons could bring up much better points to argue then on your chart. After all, the brass here sent out PM's about this new chart. I looked at it and am giving my opinion on it.

Like your comparrion on the grandstand, the operator would be higher on the machine and probably have to duck more under limbs, and the top of your enclosed trailor*** (seen a customer bash his forhead open once, it was funny for about 5 seconds until i realized he was really hurt)

Your a manufacturer and i'm criticizing you. I listen to it all the time, and now it's my turn, haha. Take it with a grain of salt.

Frue
10-21-2008, 01:46 PM
I have used both machines the grandstand and the wright. The wrights faster and goes up hills better but thats it. As far as comfort side hills and cut quality sorry wright toro has out done you. Good luck selling a 10000 machine verses the 8000 grandstand witch both are way over priced.

Wright Mfg
10-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Tallimeca- I'm not here to argue either. I'll just end it with this, very simply. There are many trade-offs. Buyers will need to determine which mower has the best combination of trade-offs.

WoodBrothersLC
10-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Wright will always sell more than the competition. There's a reason that nearly every LCO in my area chooses the Wright Stander over Great Dane even though they are priced higher...they are a flat out better mower. They were the first of their kind which has enabled them to keep that original design that has worked so well and laugh as knock off brands try to mimick them. I don't think that the $10,000 price will scare loyal Wright users away. I'm on my second one and looking to buy a third in the spring. Thanks Wright for making a great product.

Wright Mfg
10-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks WoodBrothersLC

FRUE- I don't think you realize that most of our Stander models are under $8000 MSRP and if you get the early season discount, even better. The $10,000 price you spoke of would be the Stander ZK, which way out classes the Grandstand with larger wheels, hydro system, engine hp, fuel capacity, speed, etc.

tallimeca
10-21-2008, 02:30 PM
didn't mean to start another one of these stupid debate posts. Just pointing out the PM i got about this new chart and found it amusing, and posted some videos to laugh about.

*trucewhiteflag*

I give I give!!!

Now we can apparently debate the grandstand vs wright.

New material!!! Alas!!

cajuncutter
10-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Ohhh how I wish Hustler had bowed down to Wrights Mfg. and payed the fee to keep making the Shortcut. You could both stand and sit on that machine. I have turned my Hustler Hog into a Shortcut and hope it will last me another 5 or 6 years. I hope they revisit this type of mower. The shortcut was superior to the Stander and it's cousin the Sentar. And yes I have been on both and neither would compare. Shortcut was in a class of it's own.

tallimeca
10-21-2008, 02:32 PM
great quote!

IF YOU WANT SOMETHING YOU HAVE NEVER HAD, YOU MUST DO SOMETHING YOU HAVE NEVER DONE!

TNT LawnCare Inc.
10-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks WoodBrothersLC

FRUE- I don't think you realize that most of our Stander models are under $8000 MSRP and if you get the early season discount, even better. The $10,000 price you spoke of would be the Stander ZK, which way out classes the Grandstand with larger wheels, hydro system, engine hp, fuel capacity, speed, etc.

Exactly,the ZK will even out class some Z'S .Cant even compare the 2 . I demoed the grandstand it leaves a nice cut and the riding platform is higher then on the Wright stander. Probably have to duck a whole lot more. The right control lever pops up to shut the mower down,didnt like the feature this way. Ive been using Wrights this hole year ! Switched over from WB.Mowers which suck anymore.

Ive had the chance to Buy some Grate Danes really cheap,but didnt Wright just builds a better machine. I have a 52 25 Kawi and 36 17 kawi.

Guess what ? i plan to Buy a 32 and a 48. For a total of 4.I'll Buy nothing else.Most highly productive mower for residential use or light commercial.

Walkbehinds are a thing of the past. Ive been seeing some of the major players like Brickmen with them.

jbell36
10-21-2008, 03:19 PM
i didn't think tallimeca made this thread to put down wright really, haha i thought the videos were funny, although i've seen them before, ha and i can also see why WrightMFG felt the opposite, because what i understand that's jim velke? partners of bill wright who owns the company...also you can tell that wright had nothing to do with these videos, atleast the turf riders one...i will say that wright makes a good product even though i do not own any, the ZK is definitely the best on the market (floating deck, fast as hell, high hp, etc...) but i do think 10000 is a little high, but you pay for what you get...

i'm getting two brand new machines next year and the ZK is definitely in the running...the main thing i'm looking for is speed and it doesn't look like the toro has that, although i've heard good things about it (especially on hills)...the JD quik-track is another i am considering, it's very quick...any thoughts?

JD: $6,000
TORO: $8,000
ZK: $10,000

wright dealer is 25 min. away, toro and JD in town...

TNT LawnCare Inc.
10-21-2008, 03:53 PM
I'd have to agree, i dont hink he did either just pointing out some opinions and he's entitled too. The JD quik Trac leaves a great cut has the 7 iron deck. Its plenty fast for a 54. The ZK is in a class of its own,larger hydro's,wheel motors and up 31 hp. Kawi.

the grandstand will never do 14 mph.Its was designed to be compared to Wrights Rapid height Stander Actually. The granstand has a rapid hgt feature too.

The Grandstand only comes in 2 model cutting widths 48 and 52.The rep told us he wasnt sure when and even if they were going to offer a 32,36 or 44 Model.

lawnprosteveo
10-21-2008, 08:02 PM
I have the old John Deere 647...just like a Dane Super Surfer. Its a great mower. Ive tried a Wright too and I can say when I buy again...I'll get a Wright.

The new Toro looks interesting, but I cant spend $8k for an new design mower when I can get a Wright for around $6K.

Frue
10-21-2008, 08:20 PM
I can understand wrights ambition because of all the talk of stand on mowers. I have demoed the wrights and the grandstand. The wright cut quality was subpar it left stringers. The toro really has a awesome cut. I have nothing against wright I just loved the grandstand.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
10-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Iam sure they'll sell ,probably out sell Dane amd gravely,maybe give JD a run. But until they can offer a 32 and 36 inch model to fit thru gates. They still have a way to go. Ive demoed one, its well built and cuts great. Its just not for me.Seemed to bulky. Our Wrights hold fine on the hills we have. I wont be selling all my Wrights. The Grandstand wont put Wright out of business LOL.

ed2hess
10-22-2008, 07:52 PM
I am curious if all these stander(except wright) are made by the same basic manufacture?

grassaholic
10-22-2008, 08:05 PM
One thing that I know Wright has that the others don't is the hillside traction. I demoed a 54" JD Quicktrack when it first came out. The dealer was letting me demo it for the day. To make a long story short, I took it back by lunch time. I was trying to follow a bedline that goes across a hill that I can mow riding my Walker or using my Exmark 52" Turf Tracer. The JD just couldn't do it! No matter how I tried it just didn't have the traction to do it. I even had my employee come over and try it thinking I was just doing somthing wrong. After that failed attempt and a couple more lawns I had enough. The funny thing is I was ready to buy that mower that day. I was really pumped up about buying that mower. I ended up buying an Exmark with a Stand on sulky instead. Since then I've tried a Wright stander and some day when the need arises I will buy one. The handling of the Wright is worlds apart.

tallimeca
10-22-2008, 08:14 PM
although built on a similar platform, I find the John Deere and Dane/Gravely units very different as far as handling.

Wright Mfg
10-22-2008, 09:01 PM
I am curious if all these stander(except wright) are made by the same basic manufacture?

The four brand names with the forward positioned platforms are all build under a limited license from us to Ariens and so they all have the same basic constraints and issues as described in our chart regarding forward platforms.

olde_blue
10-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Wright's fixed deck Standers handle wonderfully--better (with practice) than even the comparison chart can boast. I'ld like to demo a Grandstand; it may match Wright going across hills (with a hefty operator), but turning on a hill looks like it would be more difficult than Wright. You could step off, but that could be dangerous.

One advantage the competitors have over Wright's Standers (except ZK): suspension platforms. If Wright could only come up with a simple retrofit suspension platform. . . then the comparison chart would be complete.