PDA

View Full Version : Interlock driveway

"Ground Control"
10-21-2008, 06:14 PM
The other day I got a call from a customer that I have done a lot of work for in the past. He is doing an addition on his house and wants a paver driveway. (He also wants an outdoor kitchen w/ built in bbq and bar with granite top and fire pit but that will wait till next spring). The existing garage will be turned in to living space and the new 3 car garage is being built now. The driveway will be about 80' long and the garage is 38'6" wide. I have never done a driveway before and have a couple questions...

Originally, i was just going to do the landscaping and the outdoor kitchen but i talked him into a paver driveway - gave him my little talk about concrete and how there is 1 sure thing about it - it cracks.

A couple questions I have:

It looks like this lot was filled. Any ideas how deep I will need to excavate to find a suitable base? Will a 10" base be sufficient?

Im going to an ICPI class in a couple months, hopefully I can do this job after I return from that.

Thanks for any help guys.

flairland
10-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Holy the existing driveway is steep!!!! You've gotta get snow in Montana right? I can't imagine they'd be able to drive up that with any amount of snow on it!

Anyways, you need a min of a 10" base on ANY driveway.. if it was recently filled, you're gonna need one heavy compactor, and probbably a good 12-14" base.

cudaclan
10-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Holy the existing driveway is steep!!!! You've gotta get snow in Montana right? I can't imagine they'd be able to drive up that with any amount of snow on it!...

And think of all the fun the kids will have sledding.

"Ground Control"
10-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Yea the existing driveway is rediculuous. Its definitely the steepest driveway ive ever seen. I think thats why they bought the corner lot next to it and are doing this re-model. Im guessing they have a lot of de-icer in the garage. That and they dont own any cars - just two Lexus SUV's.

Dreams To Designs
10-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Braylen, it is very important for a driveway to get down to virgin soil, and yes, compact extensively. In your climate and any potential load, deeper is better with the base. A very heavy compactor would be in order, something like a vibrating sheep's foot roller. With two heavy SUV's and the potential for deliveries of all kinds on the driveway, thicker is better.

That's going to be a large area of pavers, so get creative with some designs or borders. You can do multiple rows of borders with diamond patterns between sailor or soldier courses as well as something in the field to break up that big expanse. Maybe a simple circle kit or other geometric shape and initials are always a hit. A paver insert, like something from Paver Art will give it a one of a kind look as well.

You may want to consider an ice melt installation also. Looks like the new driveway won't have the treachery of the existing, but it's nice to back out of the garage to a clear driveway.

Kirk

"Ground Control"
10-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Braylen, it is very important for a driveway to get down to virgin soil, and yes, compact extensively. In your climate and any potential load, deeper is better with the base. A very heavy compactor would be in order, something like a vibrating sheep's foot roller. With two heavy SUV's and the potential for deliveries of all kinds on the driveway, thicker is better.

That's going to be a large area of pavers, so get creative with some designs or borders. You can do multiple rows of borders with diamond patterns between sailor or soldier courses as well as something in the field to break up that big expanse. Maybe a simple circle kit or other geometric shape and initials are always a hit. A paver insert, like something from Paver Art will give it a one of a kind look as well.

You may want to consider an ice melt installation also. Looks like the new driveway won't have the treachery of the existing, but it's nice to back out of the garage to a clear driveway.

Kirk

Kirk, thanks for the great info. But what if virgin soil is 4' down? If I excavate 15" and run a vibrating sheeps foot roller over the soil, put down geotextile fabric and then 12" of base material will that be ok?

Anybody else?:confused:

Thanks!

PatriotLandscape
10-29-2008, 06:40 PM
thats sounds like a good plan just make sure you use the correct compaction equipment for the base something over 6k and I would split it into 4 lifts.

NewHorizon's Land
10-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Here is my take on the driveway. In your area I would say you would want at least 12" of base but probably 15-18". If virgin soil is 4' down you will have a good base. If you have to go more than 18" for base then you could use larger stone say 1.5" minus to bring it to the 18" base height.

I would use a thicker paver than normal. Something in the 3" range.

Don't use large pavers as they can turn if the tire turns on the paver.

I agree with breaking it up with a couple of circle kits, different borders, etc.

Rent the biggest compactor you can afford.

This will be very extensive so make sure you account for that in your price.

If you have any questions you can pm me.

stevelsc1
11-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Very steep driveway for sure. I would install footings under the concrete to stop the concrete from cracking. Then to help with the ice problem install pex to a hot water heater or a small boiler to be turned on when there is snow or ice on the way. Then ontop of that your pavers with a creative design

Expensive but there will be no problem of ice and snow to deal with

Good luck!!!!!

AztlanLC
11-02-2008, 05:14 PM
in this case to really know how much base you need you have to consider a soil test not just start digging and increasing the base if the existing soil is not suitable it won't matter how good of a base you install or how properly compacted it is, it will fail if the sub soil underneath fails.

creativeaudio69
11-06-2008, 12:02 AM
The sheep's foot compactor is only going to come in handy if you have a lot of clay in your soil.

creativeaudio69
11-06-2008, 12:04 AM
You can use a cheaper compactor, but you'll have to get down to virgin soil, compat that sub-grade and put in your base in two inch lifts. Anything larger than two inch lifts will not compact with a small compactor.

Branching Out
11-25-2008, 07:55 PM
I thought thagt was the driveway from the gag e-mail tha i have seen sent around

PatriotLandscape
12-03-2008, 05:15 PM
You can use a cheaper compactor, but you'll have to get down to virgin soil, compat that sub-grade and put in your base in two inch lifts. Anything larger than two inch lifts will not compact with a small compactor.

you need a compactor with at least 6k of force nothing smaller. why risk it just rent the right machine.

rproducts
12-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Without a doubt, at least 12" of a modified stone base compacted in 2'' lifts, make sure you use a geotextile fabric such as Mirafi 3XT this will stop your base from working its way into the soil this is even more important if you are working with a clay base. I would also a Permeable Paver, this would allow for water to drain naturally back into the earth this would eliminate the potential waterfall, also Canadian paver manufactures put their paver thru 50 freeze thaw cycles in salt water during testing as opposed to what we do here in the U.S. only 20 freeze thaw cycles, in other words you can pour rocksalt on Canadian pavers without hurting them.

CertPro
12-11-2008, 10:30 AM
I virgin soil is 4' down, then you need to dig 4' down! No exceptions. On a new construction home, the soil WILL settle no matter how thick your base is. You need to be on virgin, suitable soil. On option though is to bore down through the frost line, install concrete piers, pour a concrete slab and overlay your pavers on that. This way you will have support without the additional excavation a standard paver installation requires.

SuperDuty335
12-24-2008, 03:22 PM
I agree with the previous post. Excavate to the virgin soil then compact the soil as you fill it back up to grade.