PDA

View Full Version : Help new stick edger needed?

Cajun Country Lawn Care
10-21-2008, 10:45 PM
My cheap residential stick edger started smoking last time out and is not up to par anymore. I am looking at the Honda stick edger or the Stihl 110 stick edger. Prices on both are the Honda for $389 or the Stihl for $409. I have a Honda weed eater and love the performance and durability but also know that Stihl I chosen by most. My biggest concern over the Honda is I think they may be discontinuing the edger because I cannot find it on the Honda website and my dealer only has one left. Any suggestions and opinions will help. Thanks

Grits
10-21-2008, 10:51 PM
My cheap residential stick edger started smoking last time out and is not up to par anymore. I am looking at the Honda stick edger or the Stihl 110 stick edger. Prices on both are the Honda for $389 or the Stihl for $409. I have a Honda weed eater and love the performance and durability but also know that Stihl I chosen by most. My biggest concern over the Honda is I think they may be discontinuing the edger because I cannot find it on the Honda website and my dealer only has one left. Any suggestions and opinions will help. Thanks

This shouldn't be a concern. You will still be able to get parts for it.

Whitey4
10-22-2008, 01:30 AM
I bought the Redmax stick trimmer... it was OK... but when I needed replacement blades, my dealer had none. Went to another dealer... their blades were an inch longer than what comes with (and the replacement blades for ) The Redmax. That extra inch makes a huge difference. The extra blade tip speed cuts all the grass.... no stringers or hangers. The longer blade clears the safety shield comfortably. About 3/8th".

This unit has run like a champ. get the longer blade, and it edges as well as an Edgit, but can also tackle some overgrown edges as well. Does bed edging like a charm. Of all the stuff I bought this spring, being my first year... (Mower, line trimmer, hedge trimmer, blower, etc) this machine is the best of the lot in terms of performance and reliabilty.

34y old sooner in mo
10-22-2008, 01:18 PM
I had a stihl stick edger,trimmer, and blower.you can get commercial use ones and they will last several seasons.Mine always started right up.Be sure to tighten edger blade on really tight ,I learned the hard way it threw the blade 50 yards,scared the bejesus out of me,lol

ed2hess
10-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Just learn to use the trimmer to cut an edge it is so easy.

Whitey4
10-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Just learn to use the trimmer to cut an edge it is so easy.

I've tried... I suck at it. No way I could edge as well or as fast as the stick edger with a line trimmer. Easier on the arms, too.

billslawn89
10-22-2008, 09:34 PM
get the stihl, you'll like it

ProTouch Groundscapes
10-22-2008, 09:41 PM
^agreed, i originally bought the fc75, took it back, not strong enough and bought the fc110, its great! especially for long edging jobs where its not practical to try and use the trimmer.

Lazer_Z
10-22-2008, 09:49 PM
If you have the use for a multiple use machine, look into the Kombi system from Stihl. I had an FC110, but upgraded to a KM 130 R and it's a true beast especially with the edger attachment.

ProTouch Groundscapes
10-23-2008, 12:07 AM
my next trimmer will be a km130 kombi system, with the extended reach hedge trimmer and pole pruner attachment.

Cajun Country Lawn Care
10-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Well I went back to the dealer today and bought a Stihl FC 90. Hopefully soon I will try it out.

Turf Dawg
10-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Congrats on your purchase. I have the same one. Just a heads up, you might want to buy a couple of the skid-plate bolts to have on hand because they tend to break now and then. Other than that it has been a great edger.

Cajun Country Lawn Care
10-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the heads up.