PDA

View Full Version : Retaining wall with no caps?

CALandscapes
10-21-2008, 11:01 PM
We have an upcoming job with 2' tall retaining walls around the garden areas (total around 200 linear feet) and I was wondering what you experienced hardscapers think about installing a wall with no capstones. Will it look ugly/unfinished?

By the way, we're using Belgard Celtic Wall blocks.

Thanks for the input.

YardPro
10-22-2008, 07:15 AM
yes, it will look unfinished...

you can use garden wall, etc.. they are designed to use without caps.

richallseasons
10-22-2008, 04:37 PM
I think it actually depends on the material you end up using, for instance if you are using a Unilock dimensional block you may be able to get away with it, but if you tried using a pisa block it will look funky. ( I use unilock as an example because that's what I have experience with, other manufacturers may have similar products)

Mike33
10-22-2008, 08:10 PM
I did 2 ab walls in early years w/o caps h/o needed wall couldn't afford them. Job looked un done now i automatic bid caps with job. However i could see why they didnt care, it was on back side of there property,an alley way with no traffic. timber wall was falling in street. City made them do the job and they actually had to take a loan for the job. Walls was only 35' x 3'.
mike

Superior L & L
10-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Installing a wall without caps is like buying a new truck without wheels and tires.

It just should never happen! :nono::nono::nono:

CALandscapes
10-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Installing a wall without caps is like buying a new truck without wheels and tires.

It just should never happen! :nono::nono::nono:

Yeah, I should have sold the client caps..

I've never used this product before (Belgard Celtik Wall) and my salesman told me that it'd look good w/out caps.

I don't think he was right.

CALandscapes
10-25-2008, 12:44 AM
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I'm the type of contractor that will throw in a bit extra in order to make our work look perfect...

So this one may eat a bit into my profit if I don't like it without caps and I can't convince the client to spend a bit more...