PDA

View Full Version : Walk behind tiller???

Bigred350
10-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Im looking for a walk behind rear tined tiller. We seem to wear out troy builts about every other year. What brands do you guys run.

wrtenterprises
10-22-2008, 07:21 AM
I have a Honda. Like all Honda machines the price is steep, but you get what you pay for. BCS makes a great unit also, and has many other attachments......

larryinalabama
10-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Im dreaming about one of those BCS walk behind tractors.

White Gardens
10-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Im dreaming about one of those BCS walk behind tractors.

Ya, those things are sweat. I especially like all the attachments for it. I don't know if you can get it here, but in Europe they make a small hay bailer for it.

The only "new" specific walk behind tiller I would buy is a Simplicity. They're built almost as good as the old Ariens, or old Troy Built Horse tiller.

It's amazing how cheap MTD makes all their power equipment these days. I especially love how they use just the paddles and no metal auger for their small snow blowers, needless to say, worthless even in a 2 inch snow.

ARGOS
10-22-2008, 08:43 AM
I ran a BCS all day yesterday. I have a smaller one (called a 210) and the larger one we call the "mama" (I can't remember the number). I don't like to use the mama unless I can turn around outside of work area (ie run past job to turn around).

After working with the BCS I walked away thinking how great a rototiller it is. I ran the thing all day and it was easy on the back and never seemed to come under a load. Tines are easy to replace. I like it better then the Old Troy and Ariens (Didn't Troy buy Ariens?).

I don't have any of the attachments. My owners manual shows a little cart I could attach and ride around on back.

Mule100
10-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Check out the Barretto unit. It is pricey but a beast.

ViceNut
10-28-2008, 10:53 PM
big jobs - T190 + harley rake
small jobs - mantis tiller <-------things a little beast

Exact Rototilling
10-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Check out the Barretto unit. It is pricey but a beast.
I rented a Baretto last week since my Troy-Bilt horse had a busted right tine shaft which can be fixed. All I can say is it is fine for occasional use but I do heavy tilling in the Spring along with Aerations and all the rest.

The Baretto is a beast and I'm glad I rented one before I bought one. I like the hydlic contrrols and a few other features but I really prefer the old stlye Troy-Bilt horse models. Just better balance and way less weight - waaay easier to handle over all.

If all I had to till with was a heavy brute Baretto I'd quit offering this as service ASAP.

PerfectEarth
10-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Honda. Too bad they only offer one reartine tiller now, the frc800 and it's a big unit! I have an frc600 which was discontinued two years ago- it's the perfect sized tiller for the majority of my landscape jobs. I had my dealer track a new one down last year!! The older "counter-rotating tine" fr750s were awesome tillers.

You can't go wrong with a Honda tilller. I would love to try the BCS. Saw the Baretto at the show last week and it's awesome.