PDA

View Full Version : Need bidding info

dean1130
10-22-2008, 05:19 PM
I mainly do tree and shrub work(pruning and removals). I have to do a bid for a commerical property. The owner wants weed mat, multi-color stone and shrubs to be planted in a 130' by 4' bed behind a retaining wall. I need to plant 32 shrubs at 4 ft apart. The shrubs cost $28.99 at retail, except for 4 wichita blue junipers, which are $109.00 at retail. Weed mat is about $98.00 a roll, which I only need one roll. The stone is $25.00 a bucket, which covers 50sqft. I charge $110/hr for 2 guys for landscape rate. I am curious what your estimates would be and mark up on the plants and material and if you would guarantee anything.

White Gardens
10-22-2008, 09:07 PM
I would do it for no less than 10,000. That's just a guess without looking at it.

Third Day Creations
10-23-2008, 09:42 AM
I waaay underbid a small job involving installing mat around existing plants (multiple) and topping with lava rock. Much more work spreading rock than mulch and crawling and cutting the mat took forever. Be careful on estimating the rock coverage..it ain't fluffy.

dean1130
10-23-2008, 10:02 AM
There are no plant in the bed right now. The hotel was doing construction, so they removed the plants and weed mat and fixed the retaining wall. I just have to put all new weed mat down and plant 32 shrubs 4ft apart and put the stone down. I know spreading stone sucks, done it before working for a company but I always seems to be a low bidder when it comes to landscaping. Tree work is much more easier to bid..

Chrysalis
01-03-2009, 01:20 PM
There are no plant in the bed right now. The hotel was doing construction, so they removed the plants and weed mat and fixed the retaining wall. I just have to put all new weed mat down and plant 32 shrubs 4ft apart and put the stone down. I know spreading stone sucks, done it before working for a company but I always seems to be a low bidder when it comes to landscaping. Tree work is much more easier to bid..

Use the "Rule of Threes" that my good friend hseeder told me about and take all of your supplies for the job and multiply by 3.

He says "If you have an idea of what type of material and the amount then you are ahead of the game. A general rule of thumb that a friend of mine taught me years ago was the rule of three. I used to spend countless hours of estimating the time involved for labor, machine transport, material pick up/out etc, then when he taught me the rule of three, it comes down to figuring out the material cost, multiply by three and it includes your labor cost and profit. To my toal amazement, I have worked estimates out both ways, and found that generally speaking his rule of three is extremely accurate as a whole, maybe a little difference here and there, but essentially accurate.

This time of year the catalogs from wholesale nurseries should be at the printers, so that will make it a little more difficult, but you could always use last years and figure a 15% increase and that should give you the room you would need."

and there you go :)

OUTLANDER
01-03-2009, 03:54 PM
$3000-$4000 in that range would be about right, and don't give any guarantee that the nursery doesn't give you, but yes pass on some kind of guarantee too them on the plants, but never on the weed mat (weeding and maintenance is another job all together).........................................maybe $3500-$4500 (difficulty in mind)

TXNSLighting
01-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Im guessing theyre not 3 Gallon shrubs? If they are youre way over paying.

Tyler7692
01-03-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm saying about $5,000 unseen. White Gardens, no offense and I usually highly respect your opinion, but that's overpriced. Of course, we are all going site unseen so it could be a $3000 or $15000 job.

OUTLANDER
01-03-2009, 11:28 PM
from the sound of it, seems like a 8-10 hr job 2-guys....but would have to see, but i'm still thinking no more than $5000 no way (unless maybe its using like lava rock, that may bring it up some)

JNyz
01-04-2009, 03:51 PM
4000.00 sounds about right with a year guarantee. do not replace shrubs if they do not water shrubs.