PDA

View Full Version : solo's. what do you do when you get hurt?

lawnwizards
10-22-2008, 05:47 PM
i picked up my little girl yesterday and hurt my back. to tell you the truth, it felt like something came loose. anyway, i havent been able to move, let alone do any work. thank God the season is slow right now. anyway, what do you solo guys/girls do when you get hurt and cant work? thanks.

randy.

Phil G
10-22-2008, 06:00 PM
what do you solo guys/girls do when you get hurt

randy.

Bleed. :rolleyes:

Phil G
10-22-2008, 06:03 PM
i accidentally posted this in the wrong forum, so if you already responded there. thanks.

i picked up my little girl yesterday and hurt my back. to tell you the truth, it felt like something came loose. anyway, i havent been able to move, let alone do any work. thank God the season is slow right now. anyway, what do you solo guys/girls do when you get hurt and cant work? thanks.

randy.

It ain't no fun when this happens. You worry because no work is usually no money. Just try and let your injuries heal. Take a day or two off otherwise you may make it worse causing you to have more time off.

Wishing you well,

Phil

EMJ
10-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Right now I am down due to a motorcycle accident. Casts on both hands. I have a guy I use when I get behind or to busy. He is cutting all my accounts with my equipment. I am paying him 10$ a yard.

Woody82986
10-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Seriously... I just make sure I'm careful and don't get hurt. I'm not saying I'll never break a bone or need stitches... but in 25 years, I've managed to avoid both.

robtown
10-22-2008, 06:20 PM
I only cut a few days a week and landscape the rest of the time.
So if i have to push back some landscape work to take a few days off it is not that much of a loss.
Cutting just pays my bills.
Its nice because if it rains for a day or 2 no one gets missed. just shift some landscaping around and your good.

IN2MOWN
10-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Get some hydrocodone and get back to work.

lawnwizards
10-22-2008, 06:28 PM

i'm very reluctant to take any medication for fear of becoming addicted to it. i've seen so many "normal" people become addicted to pain killers and its a vice i dont want to control me. if ibuprofen cant cure it, then i'm screwed. :laugh: or an occasional budlight.

IN2MOWN
10-22-2008, 06:46 PM
i'm very reluctant to take any medication for fear of becoming addicted to it. i've seen so many "normal" people become addicted to pain killers and its a vice i dont want to control me. if ibuprofen cant cure it, then i'm screwed. :laugh: or an occasional budlight.

I used to be the same way infact I barely take asprin but I have some permanent back problems and medication really helps it.

topsites
10-22-2008, 07:17 PM
I am very busy right now, I don't even have the time to think about pain.

Motrin works for me,
and yeah, get back to work. :p

Sym
10-22-2008, 08:39 PM
I hurt myself 3 times this year....:hammerhead:

1. I threw out my back.....missed one day....muscle relaxers, pain pills and sucked it up. This usually happens once or twice a year

2. Sprained my knee ...missed one day...knee brace, pain pills and sucked it up.

3. Cracked a bone in my foot....luckily it was on a Friday Night so I propped it up on the weekend....put on an ankle brace, pain pills and sucked it up for a few weeks....this one really sucked cuz it was soon after I hurt my knee and it re-agrivated my knee.....I'll be back on the soccer field this Friday!!!!!

Nothing too bad where I couldn't work through it...I do know my soccer days are numbered though.......

underPSI
10-22-2008, 09:42 PM
anyway, what do you solo guys/girls do when you get hurt and cant work?

that's what disability insurance is for.

stevenf
10-22-2008, 09:56 PM
I have degenerative disk and when one gets pinched the wrong way. I have to gut it out and it hurts like a mofo! I usually change the way I sleep the night before to put less stress on it and take 800mg of Ibuprofen before I even think about starting to get active.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
10-22-2008, 10:20 PM

WAKE up that will not keep your customers, or the money coming in ..YOU think aflac duck s will go do your work:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

LawnTamer
10-22-2008, 11:14 PM
This is the danger of being a solo. I broke my ankle quite badly in '99. I was jumping my XT500 and landed on a tree.:cry:

I couldn't work for 3 weeks. At the time, I was only doing fert and squirt, I was able to reschedule everyone, so I didn't lose too many clients, but between medical and loss of income, it sucked.

To the original poster, go see a good chiropractor. Ask around, a lot of them suck, more into selling than healing, but a good one will work wonders on your back.

m&mmowing
10-22-2008, 11:17 PM
AFLAC...if you're hurt and you miss work

JKOOPERS
10-23-2008, 03:21 AM
i missed a week my first year due to the rota virus. i was throwing up and had the runs for a week straight. i was on the toilet every ten minutes. so i just took off for a week and it was in the spring. other than that i just suck it up and work no matter how bad i feel or hurt.

delphied
10-23-2008, 07:28 AM
You learn how to deal with your back problem because it will never leave your life completely. My cure is stretching and ice. Laying on the sofa only makes it worse. If you can stand to hold the trimmer, keep working.If the problem is muscles, strengthen it in the off season. I have other solo people that would help me. A friend broke his arm last year and couldnt drive his fertilizer spreader. I helped him. Try to establish a friendship with other solos.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-23-2008, 09:08 AM
AFLAC!

(seriously though, I haven't been hurt on the job yet so no good advice for you)

Frue
10-23-2008, 09:41 AM
majore advil and wait to the seasons end to get it fixed. Right now I have a foot injury that needs fixed by surgery but if I do there goes the business. I guess thats the down side of being solo!!!!!

lawnman757
10-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Ive been down for 2.5 weeks due to a nail being lodged in the bone of my leg while mowing. I have had to sub my work out to 2 local's to keep the business going thru the rest of the year.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Just suck it up and get back to work. My knee has been messed up pretty bad all summer, hurts everyday to the point that it tenses up. I have been going to therapy and having to wear all sorts or braces. When I broke my thumb a few years ago just kept on going, when a nail went through my foot, kept on going, when I cut my finger bad with the hedge trimmer, kept on going. Yeah, the point is just suck it up and go back to work

Green Finger
10-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Ive been down for 2.5 weeks due to a nail being lodged in the bone of my leg while mowing. I have had to sub my work out to 2 local's to keep the business going thru the rest of the year.

When I get hurt I Pray for rain.:cry: Or I just go there and give it my best.

But thank the good Lord I haven't been hurt too bad. Other than fainting on a commercial job site years ago working in 100degree heat and Wifee had to come and get me. LOL

Lawnman what part of MD are you in?

Charles
10-23-2008, 02:51 PM
I agree with those who say--Muscle relaxers, pain pills and back to work--IF you have work that you will lose out on. Yes I have hurt my back, sprang my ankle, twisted my knee(s), cracked my shoulder something or other(lol). I find the best medicine for all that is to get out and work it off:usflag:

david shumaker
10-23-2008, 08:22 PM
I have disability insurance in case I get seriously injured. I've been lucky and careful and have only been out a few days because of sprains, back pain, etc. I have to be careful about my back.

LwnmwrMan22
10-23-2008, 09:00 PM

Disability insurance is crap.

Read my thread "Solo op - broke my foot", that's my time to heal this summer when I broke my foot.

Stupid disability insurance wouldn't pay until I was disabled for 90 days. I've been back to work for 6 weeks already.

You scramble to find guys to cover for you. You farm some yards out to people you trust in the business. I mowed for 3 days with a broken foot on a ZTR before I finally had the surgery to repair my foot.

EMJ
10-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Disability insurance is crap.

Read my thread "Solo op - broke my foot", that's my time to heal this summer when I broke my foot.

Stupid disability insurance wouldn't pay until I was disabled for 90 days. I've been back to work for 6 weeks already.

You scramble to find guys to cover for you. You farm some yards out to people you trust in the business. I mowed for 3 days with a broken foot on a ZTR before I finally had the surgery to repair my foot. You bought the wronge coverage. You should have bought short term.

LwnmwrMan22
10-23-2008, 09:46 PM
You bought the wronge coverage. You should have bought short term.

I had short term as well, it paid out $200 per week.

corey4671
10-23-2008, 09:56 PM
short term disability is called having an emergency fund you can fall back on...:hammerhead:

LwnmwrMan22
10-23-2008, 10:13 PM
short term disability is called having an emergency fund you can fall back on...:hammerhead:

Correct. After my accident, and once I realized how much I paid, for what little it paid out, I realized it would be better to just put the premium in a bank account.

Now, with that said, maybe if I would shop the insurance around for a better payout / premium ratio, it might change my outlook. But... with THAT said, for right now, I do not have short term disability insurance anymore.

I have a bank account that the premium goes into.

corey4671
10-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Correct. After my accident, and once I realized how much I paid, for what little it paid out, I realized it would be better to just put the premium in a bank account.

Now, with that said, maybe if I would shop the insurance around for a better payout / premium ratio, it might change my outlook. But... with THAT said, for right now, I do not have short term disability insurance anymore.

I have a bank account that the premium goes into.

smart man.

landscaper22
10-23-2008, 10:39 PM
I would not worry about sort term either. I have long term and it is also 90 days before it kicks in. It is also only $800 per month in coverage. I would love more coverage but at the time that is all the insurance company would offer me. Also in this line of work it is more expensive than say an office job. The long term is just for some strange thing that keeps you down for years. What if some drunk rams your vehicle and breaks your neck, arm, leg, etc..Or what if you are paralyzed. There is no sucking it up and going back to work. That amount of money would be something at least. I could keep my house. Then my wife's paycheck could cover the other basic utilities and groceries. Then we could cut out cable, internet, cell phones, and other extras....
This thread brings up an interesting point. We are taking a gamble working solo in a physical labor type business. Since I started my business I have avoided high risk activities that could cause me to lose work time with an injury. No motor cycles, no contact sports, etc..I know I could twist my ankle walking in my own back yard. But I try to reduce my risk when I can. No sense in losing my business because of a sports injury.

LwnmwrMan22
10-23-2008, 10:56 PM
For those that didn't read my thread about the broken foot before, I broke my foot by missing the bottom stair in my house on a Sunday morning, heading out to get caught up on some projects.

It's a house that I've lived in for 30 years, you would have thought I would know there are 7 steps, not just 6 by now.

Anyways, I'm posting it for the guys that think because they don't do "extreme sports" or "do safe things" so they don't get injured, you'd better hope you live in a rambler, not a split level house.

For that matter, just stay in bed. Or, wait, you never know when the poop chuck is going to fall off an airplane and land in your bed, don't stay in bed either.

lawnwizards
10-24-2008, 06:47 AM
thanks for the replies guys. my main agenda behind this thread is to find out how people get their jobs done when they are hurt. i dont have short term or long term insurance soley on the fact that it still doesnt do the work for you when you get hurt. i went with earlier advice and took half a percocet and a back brace and sucked it up and did the work. of course it took me twice as long and i was pissing and moaning the whole day but atleast i got my work done. anyway, keep the replies coming. i'm taking in all this information. :waving:

corey4671
10-24-2008, 08:57 AM
For those that didn't read my thread about the broken foot before, I broke my foot by missing the bottom stair in my house on a Sunday morning, heading out to get caught up on some projects.

It's a house that I've lived in for 30 years, you would have thought I would know there are 7 steps, not just 6 by now.

Anyways, I'm posting it for the guys that think because they don't do "extreme sports" or "do safe things" so they don't get injured, you'd better hope you live in a rambler, not a split level house.

For that matter, just stay in bed. Or, wait, you never know when the poop chuck is going to fall off an airplane and land in your bed, don't stay in bed either.

same here...I missed a step on my mother in law's porch and broke the fifth metetarsil in my right foot the last Friday of October last year...was on crutches until New Year's Eve. In that big boot thing until mid February. I knew there was a reason why I didn't like that woman!

word of advice to anyone that ever suffers this injury, which is common...get on ebay and look for a bone stimulator. I sold mine back in the spring and was SURPRISED at how mnay people were looking for one. If you buy it used I'd almost bet you'll get close to what you paid for it when you resell it.