PDA

View Full Version : Tracked Skid Steer

CASEBoy89
10-22-2008, 08:11 PM
We are looking for a tracked Skid Steer. We want to use it for snow..just for small town home driveways...we figured it would do ok as it wouldn't be pushing a lot of snow at one time. We are looking at a CASE. what would u suggest. would u suggest to stay away from tracked skids for winter..we want to buy something we can use year round...and would reallly like to have tracks for spring and fall when we dont want to cause ruts or tear the crap out of lawns, and property.

CAT powered
10-22-2008, 08:18 PM
If you're using the unit to push snow I would get a wheeled unit. The tracked one will tend to float on top of the snow instead of sinking in and grabbing traction. You could always get a VTS for it to put on during the summer when you don't want to tear up the turf.

CASEBoy89
10-22-2008, 09:08 PM
VTS im not sure what that is? But we do have rubber tracks that we can put on our wheeled 430 but we really dont like them as they seem to be very hard on the machine and tear the sidewalls of the tires apart...

bobcat_ron
10-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Bridgestone has winter tracks now for the CTL's, a softer rubber which hugs ice better, now CAT/ASV has some competition.

Gravel Rat
10-23-2008, 04:10 PM
I don't think I would want to be plowing snow with anything with tracks even steel tracks slip and slide.

Just think you have two skis that slip and slide with 4 tires you have 4 contact patchs exerting more pressure to the ground.

Why do you think snow mobiles have tracks to drive them they float on top of the snow.

bobcat_ron
10-23-2008, 06:32 PM
I saw an advertisement for studs designed for the CTL tracks now, but I lost the website.

CASEBoy89
10-23-2008, 06:48 PM
yea...we just are looking into it because we would like to have a tracked skid for the warm months but dont want to buy something that cant be used year round. We are also looking into Wheeled skids but we already have four and would like to add a tracked one to the line up.

ksss
10-23-2008, 07:13 PM
yea...we just are looking into it because we would like to have a tracked skid for the warm months but dont want to buy something that cant be used year round. We are also looking into Wheeled skids but we already have four and would like to add a tracked one to the line up.

Google "Loegren VTS tracks" (that spelling is not right, but might be close enough). Sounds like the perfect fit for you.

meets1
10-23-2008, 09:28 PM
If you have 4 wheeled units - are they being used for snow as well? IF so, you have work to justify a 5th wheel unit? If it is maybe to help out - get a tracked unit but if it is primary snow - wheel is the better option.

J. Peterson Grading
10-23-2008, 10:32 PM
I plow with my ASVs. I do not slip at all.

J.

bobcat_ron
10-23-2008, 10:45 PM
I plow with my ASVs. I do not slip at all.

J.

That's because us MTL'er's have a soft rubber like snow tires.

stuvecorp
10-23-2008, 11:04 PM
VTS im not sure what that is? But we do have rubber tracks that we can put on our wheeled 430 but we really dont like them as they seem to be very hard on the machine and tear the sidewalls of the tires apart...

I am a big fan of the VTS. Run the tracks for the season and take them off and run tires for plowing. It can get expensive the first time but if you keep the same size machine when you trade you always can put the old tracks on the new machine.

J. Peterson Grading
10-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks Ron. I didn't realize that my tracks are different from everyone elses.

Its not just the softness of the tracks, its the track pattern itself. A tight, closed pattern will hook up better that a open type.

J.

Optimum Lawn
10-26-2008, 03:40 PM
I had the chance to use a Cat247B last year for a day when the New Holland wheeled unit unload all its hydraulic fluid.
Much preferred the tracks in the snow than the wheels.
The Cat was underpowered in comparison (but that really is apples to oranges) but put a little bit of snow under those tracks and this Cat would just keep pushing. Plus you can walk on top of snow piles something wheel units have no chance of doing...great for piling up snow.
On Ice it is all equal and rubber type or studs would be the difference.
One thing I found was when pushing snow and was having a traction issue I would just let some snow ride under the tracks and that would make a big dif. The tracks would lock onto the snow and away we go. Much better than wheels. Just takes a different approach
IMO....
Of the 2 machines I would hands down take the tracks of the Cat...just gives me more versatility