PDA

View Full Version : Billy Goat force...Push blowers

nemow
10-22-2008, 09:59 PM
I searched first I promise. The search function just sucks on these sites. Im looking at push blowers. I have never had one. Right now I have 3 c4 shindaiwas and two of the older echo's (forget what they are called) I have a leaf loader and a couple 61 inch mowers (one leaf plow). I feel like it is time to look into the push blowers. I came into this about ten years ago right when backpack blowers started to under weigh and out blow some of the smaller push blowers so I never saw a use for them.

Has anyone used the new force pushers? Has anyone had any experience with the subaru engines? At what horse power do the push blowers become better than the backpacks(as in worth it)? Anyone know if the billygoat videos from the website use the 18 or 13 horse for the demo?
Im looking for info on the higher end models. Im not going to say price doesn't matter but I did read someone write "Buy the most horse power you can afford". I take that as "If your not spending the money its not worth it"

Any info on any walk behinds would be great...Thanks

PS Im not looking for a product war. .

topsites
10-22-2008, 10:07 PM
The heaviest backpacks always have outperformed the puniest push blowers,
so the real question is why the sudden change of heart?

Either you're ready to spend the $1300 or you're not.

nemow
10-22-2008, 10:17 PM
The heaviest backpacks always have outperformed the puniest push blowers,
so the real question is why the sudden change of heart?

Either you're ready to spend the $1300 or you're not.

Oh topsites your the reason I've been hanging out on Plowsite for the last few weeks. If you start plowing Im throwing my computer in the trash because their will be no hiding from you.

Now yes I have $1300. Have you used a subaru engine? Is the push blower going to sit on the trailer because its to heavy to "lug around" all day? Im trying to rationalize spending $1300 on another tool that blows air. Do you have anything useful to add or are you just pumping up that post count of yours?

WETSCAPE
10-22-2008, 10:23 PM
I just picked up the 9hp (honda motor) Force. It works really well! It is not as quiet as they claim (after all it is a leaf blower). So far so good I think the 9hp is perfect! It does give you a work out, but not as bad as my old Fraden 14hp. Hope this helps!

ed2hess
10-22-2008, 10:26 PM
We got the 13hp Billygoat but it is three years old. It sits in the shed until our big parking lot properties get leaves then we pull it out. It will outshine two Echo 650 backpacks especially in windy situations. But this unit is just too darn heavyto move across lawns and actually it blows too much dirt anyway when using it to push leaves on the ground. We did demo a lighter weight 8hp billygoat and found it worthless.

nemow
10-22-2008, 10:31 PM
We got the 13hp Billygoat but it is three years old. It sits in the shed until our big parking lot properties get leaves then we pull it out. It will outshine two Echo 650 backpacks especially in windy situations. But this unit is just too darn heavyto move across lawns and actually it blows too much dirt anyway when using it to push leaves on the ground. We did demo a lighter weight 8hp billygoat and found it worthless.

When you say it pusher dirt do you mean it will actually remove healthy grass and make dirt divits? Is your this new fangled Force or the older model? Thanks for the response. Some of my fears of this thing being useless seem to be true.

nemow
10-22-2008, 10:34 PM
I just picked up the 9hp (honda motor) Force. It works really well! It is not as quiet as they claim (after all it is a leaf blower). So far so good I think the 9hp is perfect! It does give you a work out, but not as bad as my old Fraden 14hp. Hope this helps!

Do you have backpacks too? Do you have anything to compare it to? Thanks for the help..Im still up in the air.

Lazer_Z
10-22-2008, 10:43 PM
nemow, ed's machine is 3years old as he states in his post, so no, it's not one of the new force models. I've not personally used a new force, but if I needed one I'd buy one no questions asked. Hopefully Drew aka "Mr.Force" from Billy Goat will see this thread and can offer you some more insight into the blowers.

nemow
10-22-2008, 10:46 PM
nemow, ed's machine is 3years old as he states in his post, so no, it's not one of the new force models. I've not personally used a new force, but if I needed one I'd buy one no questions asked. Hopefully Drew aka "Mr.Force" from Billy Goat will see this thread and can offer you some more insight into the blowers.

I was poking around down in the sponsor section after I postd this. I guess I dont know if I "need" one :) .

WETSCAPE
10-22-2008, 10:51 PM
I own two Stihl BR 600 back pack blowers. These are great for beds(at idle) and after wet cuts. You can really rip a lawn up with one of these backpacks (as I tell the boys all the time)! It seems the Billy Goat is perfect for larger areas! We used it today with wet leaves and moved them around with no problems. The guys moved the wet leaves out of the beds and around trees and I shot them to the curb (actually over shot at one point). It does have power even with the 9hp thats for sure. I am happy I made the purchase it will reduce time over the pack blowers.
Hope it helps......

Lazer_Z
10-22-2008, 10:54 PM
I was poking around down in the sponsor section after I postd this. I guess I dont know if I "need" one :) . I know the feeling, I bought a little BG a good few years ago and it didn't get enough use so I sold it off. Sometimes I regret selling it and other times I'm glad it's gone. It's your call ultimately, good luck!

Mowbizz
10-22-2008, 11:02 PM
I have been looking at the Force blowers for the last couple days (pricing, demo, etc) and I will buy one in the next week. The tech guy at my dealer (salesman's day off) said the Robin/Subaru engines are, and have been trouble free engines and it's by far the best seller for them. I demoed the Honda and the Subaru and there was no noticeable difference between the two. The 13 hp Honda of course is considerably, more powerful and considerably more expensive ($1500 no rebate) I can get the 9hp Robin/Subaru Force for $1049 plus a $50 rebate, making it $999 net. a lot of moola for something used during Fall and Spring cleanups but if it makes my job go faster, easier, better, I will spend the $$ and hopefully, get good returns on the money spent. I hinted to my GF for an early X-mas present but I don't think she was "listening." :nono:
Oh, by the way, these Billy Goats are very light feeling and even though I haven't demoed one in the field (just the dealer's side grassy area) I feel that they would be very maneuverable and not too hard to push in any situation except downright mush.
The Little Wonder is noticeably heavier and less "balanced". and the Billy Goat is ergonomically superior IMHO

jrc lawncare
10-23-2008, 08:41 AM
We have the bg force 9hp subaru, very pleased. Works very well for as many fall cleanups as we do, especially on our larger jobs.

nemow
10-23-2008, 08:48 AM
So the 9 hp unit seems to have enough power? Does the next jump in hp make them to heavy to push around? I have pushed one around the show room on a nice flat floor and you can't tell the weight difference between the two.

hackitdown
10-23-2008, 03:11 PM
I have the Little Wonder walk-behind w/Honda 9HP, bought it 3 years ago for $1300. It has been on the trailer for two weeks now, and we use it every day. We also carry 2 Stihl BR600s. We use the WB to fire the leaves into the woods prior to mowing, reducing the number of times I empty the bagger on the mower. It feels about 4 times more powerful (and 4X faster) than a backpack.

I would never do a fall cleanup without a walk-behind.

I looked at the bigger 13HP blowers, but the entire machine was a lot larger and heavier. And more $$. I am glad I have the 9HP, but if (when) I buy another, it will be bigger.

bill w
10-23-2008, 04:41 PM
So the 9 hp unit seems to have enough power? Does the next jump in hp make them to heavy to push around? I have pushed one around the show room on a nice flat floor and you can't tell the weight difference between the two.

Enough power for what. If all you have is backpack blowers, it is a big step up. I bought a Force blower 2 years ago and for a single operator it is great. If I lived where the land is relatively flat, I might have gone bigger, but I don't. The thing is, I got off the pot and took that step. If I decide I need to go bigger, I can sell the one I have.

Nothing against other brands, I just bought what I bought. BTW, the Subaru engine is working out quite well. After the first start of the season it's one pull to start every time.

joshua
10-24-2008, 12:23 AM
i just got the 13hp force like but not loving it. i've used it about 6 times so far, leave season is just starting here. its heavy but rolls pretty easy. any bumps ( acorns ) make it tough to push. other than that works great, tons of power and yes if the drive or sidewalk isn't edged it will flip the overgrowth up. i don't plan on using it on every property so the weight and me pushing it isn't a problem. i wish it was self propelled like the 18hp force.

ealbertson
10-24-2008, 04:53 PM
I bought a force with a Honda 13hp motor. I also removed the deck from an eXmark 48" hydro and built a rack to hold the blower which makes for one awsome combination. It is very manuverable like this. I could not imagine pushing it all day. I had prior to this a Billygoat with the Subaru 9hp engine which wasn't bad but did not compare to the Force/eXmark combination.
Ed

brucec32
07-05-2010, 09:59 PM
I bought a force with a Honda 13hp motor. I also removed the deck from an eXmark 48" hydro and built a rack to hold the blower which makes for one awsome combination. It is very manuverable like this. I could not imagine pushing it all day. I had prior to this a Billygoat with the Subaru 9hp engine which wasn't bad but did not compare to the Force/eXmark combination.
Ed

Old thread, but a photo of that wb setup would be invaluable to many here I'm sure. Great idea to put old worn out wb's to good use.

ealbertson
07-05-2010, 10:05 PM
The eXmark has the mower deck on it now for summer and I am not sure if I have any pictures. I do have a video of it with me using it. When my daughter has some time I will see if she can find the video and try to down load it onto lawnsite.

brucec32
07-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Thanks, I just think that was a brillant move. Especially as the gadgets they sell to put a blower on behind a ztr cost about as much as an old wb would anyway, and self-propelled blowers are crazy expensive considering the limited use they get.

Richard Martin
07-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Nevermind. Old thread. Thanks Bruce. :)