PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw what one?

WETSCAPE
10-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Looking to pickup a chainsaw. I would be needing it for pruning and those ut oh (help calls) a tree came down in my yard. I like the STIHL brand but am open to other brands and blade sizes? Need one for the occasional use, kind of thing when you need it you really need it?
Thoughts Comments Etc?

mowerbrad
10-22-2008, 09:25 PM
I will probably be buying chainsaw this fall or in the spring. I haven't really had a need for one before but I am finding more uses for one now. I talked with my Stihl dealer not too long ago and he said that the MS-250 has been a very popular model at the dealership. He said that many professional tree companies had also been buying them too.

Lazer_Z
10-22-2008, 09:27 PM
I've got a Stihl MS 260 PRO with a 20" bar/chain combo and I find it to be a decent balance of power to weight.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
Most are gonna sya Stihl or Husqvarna. Stihl is a proven winner. Husky's make some great Saws too. The Stihll ms 361 pro is a top notch Saw and lite Weight Has plenty of power and not to Expensive Handles a 16-25 inch Bar. Can handle some pretty big jobs . The ms 441 can get a little pricey.

The Stihl 260 ,290 or 310 is pretty good for Small to medium Stuff.These will all take 16-20 inch bars too.

Husky's 346xp and 357xp are some great Saws too. There 350 and 359 at lowes aint to Shabby Either.

Michael J. Donovan
you may also want to check out our tree forum and post your question over there as well - www.treeservicessite.com :waving:

WETSCAPE
10-22-2008, 09:30 PM
That was one that is on my list. Looks to be around 325.00.
Thanks!

beano
10-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Check out the Echo 370. Great saw with lots of power. Love mine!

P.Services
10-22-2008, 10:29 PM
I've got a Stihl MS 260 PRO with a 20" bar/chain combo and I find it to be a decent balance of power to weight.

this guy speaks the truth!! i second that combo and i cut a shat pile of trees every day. i either grab the 260 or a 660 nothing else.

Lawnworks
10-22-2008, 10:45 PM
I have a stihl 250 and it is great for small stuff... you don't want a big one if you are not cutting big trees. My next saws will be Husky. I have a Husky 65? and it seems a little more reliable than stihl... plus they don't have that gay gas/oil cap. I always end up spilling barchain oil all over me with that stihl.

dean1130
10-23-2008, 09:09 AM
I run a tree business and landscape, but for tree work I use the Stihl ms 192T , Stihl MS 200 T, Husky 372, and a Husky 346xp. I also sell wood and for that part, I use the Stihl ms 250 with an 18 in bar or the stihl 021. There are both light saws and run awesome. The Stihl ms 250 will be your top pick probably. Its not heavy and has great power with a sharp chain. The husky 346xp is a nice saw as well but very pricey, you will pay around 489 - 524.00 for it...

Green King
11-22-2008, 02:32 PM
You should also take a look at Dolmar!

PORTER 05
11-24-2008, 04:34 PM
stupid question

STIHL!!!!!!!

if you are just going to be doing light work, the 180 might be a good idea, $200, or if youre really feeling like a man go for the 441 25"bar.

Dodge Truck
11-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Shindaiwa 490 will suit you just fine. Most just say stihl cuz its everywhere try Shindy...trust me its worth it

baddboygeorge
11-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Husky ae the best saws hands down buy the 450 model an you will love it ,,,,

JNyz
11-28-2008, 05:38 PM
stupid question

STIHL!!!!!!!

if you are just going to be doing light work, the 180 might be a good idea, $200, or if youre really feeling like a man go for the 441 25"bar.

Agree. Stupid question. Stihl is the only way to go. Get an 020T and a 46 and you will not look back. You will not need anything else.

integrityman
11-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Id recommend a STIHL 210 or 250. I have been running Stihls for years and years and have NEVER EVER had any mechanical problems. Stihl really is worth the $$.

lawnbutch
11-28-2008, 10:50 PM
We have a Husky 142 that runs circles around a stihl ms290 period!!!!

Jerry Lee
11-29-2008, 06:50 PM
if ur just pruining go with the smallest chainsaw stihl makes that thing is great. i cant remember what its called. but its small enough u can hold it in one hand. i use it all the time when u have to climb a tree and cut down branches. its like a side arm.

Greenboy24
11-29-2008, 08:00 PM
I will second the shindaiwa 490....great saw by a great company. Use my all the time and it has never let me down.

JNyz
11-29-2008, 09:01 PM
if ur just pruining go with the smallest chainsaw stihl makes that thing is great. i cant remember what its called. but its small enough u can hold it in one hand. i use it all the time when u have to climb a tree and cut down branches. its like a side arm.

i think it is still called the 020T. t for top handle.

AWJ Services
11-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Husky saws are not what they used to be.
They are full of junk parts.
There is no comparison between them and stihl.
No logger here will go out in the field with a Husky.
However if you will only saw 20 or 30 hours a year then the Husky will do the job and last.

I have a Husky Rancher.
It has lasted me well but if I had it to do over I would purchase a Stihl.

SLR
11-30-2008, 05:39 PM
So what parts are "junk" then AWJ?
(be descriptive)..my 55 is holding fine..

AWJ Services
11-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Lots of plastic.
Have you taken it apart?

Lawnworks
11-30-2008, 05:45 PM
I have alot more problems out of my stihl ms250 than my husky 365.

JNyz
11-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Here we go!!!

AWJ Services
11-30-2008, 06:51 PM
I have a Husky weedeater that will not tear up.
I like Husky stuff but some have plastic carbs and really cheap construction.

I am only going by what the loggers here say.
They use there saws everyday all day.I doubt any of us here will ever put a saw through that type of abuse.
That being it will be hard for most of us to really ever have an educated opinion.
Heck if it starts and I do not have to work on it to get it to start it is First class for me.:)

Lawnworks
11-30-2008, 07:03 PM
I have a Husky weedeater that will not tear up.
I like Husky stuff but some have plastic carbs and really cheap construction.

I am only going by what the loggers here say.
They use there saws everyday all day.I doubt any of us here will ever put a saw through that type of abuse.
That being it will be hard for most of us to really ever have an educated opinion.
Heck if it starts and I do not have to work on it to get it to start it is First class for me.:)

The loggers would know.

I just can't stand those gay little oil and gas caps stihl has! You just don't know how many time I have looked down at my pants and have seen oil all over me!

AWJ Services
11-30-2008, 07:24 PM
I hate to get that chain oil on me.
My Husky leaks it out all in the case.It makes a mess.

Lawnworks
11-30-2008, 09:03 PM
I hate to get that chain oil on me.
My Husky leaks it out all in the case.It makes a mess.

Can't win either way!

SLR
12-01-2008, 02:44 PM
My ONLY complaint with my rancher is after an hour of cutting i feel it's weight on my arms/back.It almost always starts with 7pulls..but plastic carb??looks very much metallic to me!You say "very cheap constuction" but again where..what chain saw doesn't have plastic on sides/top??
post link to a saw that has..metal..:0..on the sides then!I think you'll be back in the 70's if it is metal sides on a saw!

AWJ Services
12-01-2008, 08:00 PM
My ONLY complaint with my rancher is after an hour of cutting i feel it's weight on my arms/back.It almost always starts with 7pulls..but plastic carb??looks very much metallic to me!You say "very cheap constuction" but again where..what chain saw doesn't have plastic on sides/top??

I did not say that all saws had plastic carbs just the Husky has used them in some of there handheld tools.

SLR
12-02-2008, 02:38 PM
I did not say that all saws had plastic carbs just the Husky has used them in some of there handheld tools.

I have yet to see such plastic carburation items.Do you mean
plastic screws on the throttle/mix settings,or actual plastic slides,needles,jets?

AWJ Services
12-02-2008, 04:09 PM
I will take a picture and post it .

PHS
12-02-2008, 07:32 PM
..what chain saw doesn't have plastic on sides/top??
post link to a saw that has..metal..:0..on the sides then!I think you'll be back in the 70's if it is metal sides on a saw!

The newer saws are so much lighter and more powerful than those of yesteryear. So what if there's some plastic in them. I'll gladly take the higher performance for the tradeoff of needing to take a little better care of it.

Grassmechanic
12-03-2008, 02:33 PM
The newer saws are so much lighter and more powerful than those of yesteryear. So what if there's some plastic in them. I'll gladly take the higher performance for the tradeoff of needing to take a little better care of it.

The new saws are lighter, but there sure not as powerful. EPA regs have taken a lot of power away from the new saws.:cry: I put my 066 up against a new MS660 and there was no match. It's a shame what the gov't did to small engines.

PHS
12-04-2008, 12:45 PM
I can't really speak for Stihl saws as I haven't used them as much. I like my ms200T better than my 020T and I think it's way better than an 020AV. Those are all good saws but the newest one is the best of the group overall for me.

With the Husky saws, I have a 2101xp and from my experience a 395xp will run circles around it, not to mention how much better the 3120xp is. I have an old trusty 266xp yet the newer 372xp is a full pound lighter, over half a horse more power, faster chain speed, and it's much more comfortable to use because of better vibration dampening. I used a 288xp for a long time, it was a great saw but I'll take a 385xp any day for the same reasons.

I'm not in the tree business any more so all I have are my old trusty saws that run great and always get the job done but to me the Husky saws have gotten better. Sure they're not perfect but overall they're easier and more comfortable to use.

Tyler7692
12-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Quit wasting time over a measly $400 piece of equipment. Just buy a damn saw (Any reputable brand ; Stihl, Echo, Husky, ect...) and get to work! Just keep it well maintained and it will last forever.

PHS
12-06-2008, 11:19 PM
There's a lot of truth in that. I like what I like but a well maintained saw with a sharp chain is far more important to getting some work done than the brand of saw.

bare spot
12-07-2008, 12:46 AM
You should also take a look at Dolmar!

picked up a 401 earlier this yr, it has serve me well, great saw.

freddyc
12-08-2008, 02:02 PM
We have a Husky 142 that runs circles around a stihl ms290 period!!!!

Thats funny, I have a 142 Husky and its ... well, a pos.

1/ Starter is pretty useless--- all plastic and have take it apart all the time to clean the chips out of it and re-lube.

2/ worst thing is the bar oiler--- won't allow anything but really thin oil thru--- I use atf or nothing and then it pisses out all over. Any straight or 50/50 diluted oil just doesn't come thru.

3/ complete lack of power unless you're cutting down " pine.

4/ cheap choke know/pull. Probably std for most saws now but I'd appreciate something with a little more oomph

5/ whiny noise--- due to the small engine I suppose but without muffs its like listening to your mother in-law on a rant.

The good news is that it starts easy ---2 pulls or so.

Its light as hell so you can use it anywhere.

It was cheap so when I chuck it next year I won't mind.

I believe there are better choices and for not a lot more money. Its barely a good starter saw for homeowners cutting 2" sapplings.

J.Gordon
12-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Wow! It never ceases to amaze me how someone can say that is the only way to go.

You need to get the saw based on your needs not someone elseís favorite brand.

If youíre going to use this saw as a one for all saw and you are partial to Stihl, you would have a hard time beating the 361! But there not cheap and Husqvarna/Jonsered, RedMax, Echo, Shindaiwa, Efco and Dolmar/Makita makes some very good saws!

I had a Shindaiwa 488 (itís the 490 now) for a quite a while and I donít think there is a more reliable or easier to start saw on the market.

I sold it to a friend with an option that if he ever wanted to get rid of it I get first dibs!

I now run a Dolmar PS 7900EHP and a Dolmar 5100S, soon to get the EHP added to it. I would put them against Stihl or Husqvarna any day.

If I were brand loyal to Stihl I would get a 260/660 combo for my needs but a 260/361/660 would keep any Stihl fan happy for a long time.

If Husky is the only brand that turns you on then you would want a 346xp NE with a 372 and maybe a 395 but a 372 would be enough for my needs.

I have had Huskyís in the past and I believe their air filter set up is the best of any saw on the market. Of course Jonseredís are the same just different colors and ergonomicsí.

If a 3 cube saw will handle anything you need I would still get the pro version. The Shindaiwa 488/490 may not beat a 5100s Dolmar or a 346xp NE Husky but you canít kill them! They can be had for less than 350.00 if you look hard enough. I got my 488 for less than 300 new.

For tree work the MS200T is the one to beat! But being the best in its class cost a few extra bucks. Sometimes itís worth the extra money for the best out there.

From what you said you needed any 3 cube would do what you need but look at the Shindaiwa 488 used or 490 for a saw you cant kill.

dean1130
12-10-2008, 10:24 AM
I love how people argue over saws. Its just like owning 4 wheelers or trucks same exact thing. Everyone has their own preference. To be honest with everyone loggers and tree care companies like myself, also forestry colleges in there. Companies go with the brand of saw where there's a dealer close by and where they can get 20% discounts. This varies in every town in the U.S.. Many loggers up here in northern NY use only huskys, then out west they use stihl, all depends on the deal that they get from the dealers. As for plastic parts. My Stihl Ms 192 T climbing saw is 6.5 pounds. Its wicked light, I am not going to complain cause theres alot of plastic, its light and works good for me and it's easier on the elbows in the trees. Look at the New john Deere tractors, they are all plastic. Does it make them a bad tractor no. As far as pruning goes, depends on the size of the branch, use a pole saw or hand saw. If your climbing buy a top handle arborist saw, if you just cutting firwood use a mid range saw, cause if you happen to run into a bigger limb you will have the power. The husky 346xp is a good saw and the Stihl MS 250. The husky is about $480 new and the MS 250 is about $300.00 New. For you the MS 250 would be fine for your needs, buy a 18 inch bar and your set. Another thing is every saw needs carb adjustments sometime in there life, so if you do not know anything about that, then you will run into problems and will be calling all saws junk. A little bit of mainetenace goes a long way. I own a business so my saws are cleaned every night after work and ready to go the next day.