PDA

View Full Version : Recent job

steve5966
10-22-2008, 10:52 PM
This is a job we finished recently. Anchor Highland Stone wall and seat walls with columns. Belgard Arbel pavers with Urbana soldier course.

Hardscaping
10-22-2008, 10:55 PM
very nice looking how long did that take you?

Hardscaping
10-22-2008, 10:57 PM
you should post some close ups of the work!

DUSTYCEDAR
10-22-2008, 11:01 PM
That is sweet

steve5966
10-22-2008, 11:20 PM
very nice looking how long did that take you?

Too long, we worked of a master plan, but there were some changes and a couple things that I had never done before and one thing I don't think has ever been done. If we had worked straight through, maybe a month.

steve5966
10-22-2008, 11:23 PM
you should post some close ups of the work!

I'm my own worst critic, :hammerhead:I don't really need the lawnsite judging crew to pic me apart.

KCfireman
10-22-2008, 11:36 PM
very nice work! I like the stone work! And thats a nice house too!:clapping:

klkanders
10-23-2008, 12:58 AM
Looks nice! Good pics. I see lighting as well. What all did you use for your fixtures and wall lighting?
I am about 2 1/2 hrs North of you. Take Care!

Keith

beano
10-23-2008, 08:35 AM
WOW, thats sweet, nice job

McKeeLand
10-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Looks very good, at first glance its hard to tell if the pavers are wet laid flag stone or not. How was it working with belgard? Did the pavers go together pretty easy or was it difficult getting tight joints with the randomness of them.

steve5966
10-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Looks very good, at first glance its hard to tell if the pavers are wet laid flag stone or not. How was it working with belgard? Did the pavers go together pretty easy or was it difficult getting tight joints with the randomness of them.

Every paver in the main part of the patio is the same outside dimension. I don't have time to post a link, but check Belgard or Oldcastle

steve5966
10-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Okay, I have a little free time now. The pavers are all laid on crush and run and sand bed. We don't wet lay much of anything around here. The Belgard Mega-Arbel pavers are all the same size with either one or two joints in them. If you look for the spot where three meet together you'll start to see the pattern. As far as laying them, piece of cake, once you get the hang of the pattern. Cutting them in is another story. Since they are shaped like flagstone the outside all the way around needs to be cut. As far as quality, we have stopped offering any other paver brands unless the customer asks for them by name.

http://www.belgard.biz/shapes-mega-arbel.htm

Can anyone guess what the black rectangles on the columns are?

Supertiger
10-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Well i sure cant tell but my guess is that it might be some kind of garbage Ben. " the dark rectangles on the corners", I really like what you've done especially incorporating the pond into it all. I wish you had more photos of before and after. I for one wont say a word that is negative about anything on this forum.

Mike33
10-23-2008, 08:43 PM
That's one of the nicest projects i seen this year. Good job, and keep up the nice work.
Mike

JimmyStew
10-23-2008, 08:56 PM
That is an awesome project. Excellent first pic as well. That will look great in your portfolio. As for the black rectangles, my vote is speakers.

deere615
10-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Wow very very nice work, that looks beautiful

Lite4
10-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Beautiful. Very nicely done!!

steve5966
10-23-2008, 11:38 PM

steve5966
10-23-2008, 11:48 PM
I think this might be the first time this has been done with a column and in my opinion it is the best part of the project

McKeeLand
10-24-2008, 12:29 PM
about how much per sq/ft does that run? i assume you where using the 80mm paver?

McKeeLand
10-24-2008, 12:30 PM
yikes!! 666 need to past again real fast. lol

DVS Hardscaper
10-24-2008, 04:34 PM
McKeeLand - Glad to see you're back! Taking a break from the *other* forum?? You know, the one thats about as happenin as watchin paint dry.....

That Arbel is a great lookin paver. We just did a job about 2 weeks ago. 600 SF patio with the Mega-Arbel. But man oh man, we had 16 solid hours with 3 guys, of cutting that stuff! It was a rounded patio with walls all around. Luckily.....the client agreed to pay us per day :)

If anyone ever uses the Arbel, and if it's radiused - you better factor in a lot of extra time for cutting, especially if you're cutting along any walls, steps, etc.

steve5966
10-24-2008, 08:44 PM
about how much per sq/ft does that run? i assume you where using the 80mm paver?

We are paying about 6.30 a square foot. The Arbel is three and an eighth inches thick.

DVS is right on with the cutting, it is a lot harder than any other paver to cut in. The end result is sure worth it

mrusk
10-25-2008, 12:45 AM
McKeeLand - Glad to see you're back! Taking a break from the *other* forum?? You know, the one thats about as happenin as watchin paint dry.....

Turns out everyone over there is busy working.

CALandscapes
10-25-2008, 01:19 AM
The transformation of that back yard is amazing.

Nice work!

DVS Hardscaper
10-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Turns out everyone over there is busy working.

Amen to that brother!

Or, if your name is Sea-Gee Landscaping - you're working for everone there!!!! :weightlifter:

McKeeLand
10-25-2008, 12:26 PM
We are paying about 6.30 a square foot. The Arbel is three and an eighth inches thick.

DVS is right on with the cutting, it is a lot harder than any other paver to cut in. The end result is sure worth it

yikes, $6.30/SF! i could sell them travertine for around $4/SF. it is nice looking though.

why the increase in cutting, because of the thickness? i know that was the case for us when we did a techo blue job, like 3.75" thick.

Andrew, what did you think of the quality?

McKeeLand
10-25-2008, 12:29 PM

i have been mainly learking on both sites with out really posting. Not much to talk about when work sucks! lol

besides, every time i start posting in a thread over here it gets closed or removed.:)

steve5966
10-25-2008, 01:06 PM
why the increase in cutting, because of the thickness?

There are no straight sides. Every paver on the outside has to be cut to fit. With these pavers you start laying from the middle out.

klkanders
10-25-2008, 01:42 PM
What all did you use for your fixtures and wall lighting?

I'm guessing you missed this.
If you would. Thanks

steve5966
10-25-2008, 04:07 PM
For the wall we used an under cap light from Kichler. Inside the columns is a well light as well as the trees and just path lights of the customers choosing. All Kichler. All 12 volt.

DVS Hardscaper
10-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Not much to talk about when work sucks! lol

Oh no! What are you thinking! If you state "work sucks" the almighty MRusk will make fun of you for considering doing other things to keep cash flowing, and M.F., the guy who's small company does maintenance, will send you harrassing e-mails!!!

DVS Hardscaper
10-25-2008, 06:57 PM
yikes, $6.30/SF! i could sell them travertine for around $4/SF. it is nice looking though.

why the increase in cutting, because of the thickness? i know that was the case for us when we did a techo blue job, like 3.75" thick.

Andrew, what did you think of the quality?

Arbel is more or less a speciality option. Its a paver that I don't think anyone will install on a regular basis, but when used on a nice design with the right setting - it looks great! Its not a paver to specify if the prospective client is price sensitive.

The quality is fine. No complaints. Belgard has completely revamped their operations. Infact, I've been pushing their products to prospective clients again and I'm looking forward to working with the Belgard reps again.

Because the Arbel doesn't have a straight edge on it - it takes longer to mark and cut, and sometimes you must cut the SAME paver 3 times before it fits into place. See with other pavers, they typically have 4 straight sides, so it's a cinch to measure the space where it goes. But with Arbel, if you're cutting out along a seat wall its a time consuming challange!

Yep, you start laying from the center. the Mega Arbel is heavy. You can't expect your guys to hustle all day long, they'll tire out in half the time. Even though the arbel pavers don't look the same on the top, they're all the exact same shape! Our first job with Arbel took my guys about 15-20 minutes to get the hang of dropping them into place without gaps.

PlatinumLandCon
10-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Anything made by Permacon/Belgard is great. I've found their products to be really high quality in the 3 times I used it this year. Its quite pricey (4.75 for reg or mega Arbel) but its good stuff.

I've seen a few jobs where its installed in weird ways and was a waste of a good paver. With 1000's of new homes every year around here, interlock companies are a dime a dozen. "Landscape Design & Build" companies are a needle in a haystack. It pains me to see good $$ being spent on average or below-average installs. I'm working on a 80-90k bid for next June/July that will solidify me as a respectable company, not just a number in a phone book.

ryansbob
10-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Hi any more info on the under cap light from kichler like a part # or a dealer online or in PA? Couldn't find them on their web site but would love to install some at my house....

LBFmd
10-26-2008, 08:24 PM
lol to the other stuff,

Mckee Arbel is about 4.35 sq foot here in "my area". lol

Belgard has made some great strides and since we dont have our distributor selling and isntalling like techo here We have been installing nothing but belagrd for the last 3 months. I have actually swicthed a few jobs over becasue of the look of Urbana.

steve5966
10-26-2008, 10:14 PM
The Belgard reps are telling me that they have three new styles in the pipeline. The only one they would tell me about is going to look like something you easterners get to install.

tedlandscapebiz
10-28-2009, 11:33 PM
I really like what you have achieved here.
Posted via Mobile Device