PDA

View Full Version : Wright thing to do????

Lawn Pawn
10-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Got my new OEM spindle assembly UPS from Wright for $150. Open the box and the tag tells me it is not for my 36"... but 48" and up. OK.... box it up and sent it back, just down time for a few more days. But I did not order another OEM... why? you ask.

I could pull the center shaft up and down about an eight of an inch? With pressed on bearings to center shaft... pressed into housing... sealed ball bearings... How can I pull this shaft up and down? No I did not pull the snap rings out and take it apart... as curious as I may have been... just wanted it gone.

Got one from Russo much cheaper it seems fine. Really now.. that had to have been a bad spindle, correct. Brought it over to a retired heavy equipment mechanic friend and he thought so too, or did I miss something here. Do not think I would ever buy another OEM spindle.

Thanks for any replies.

topsites
10-23-2008, 02:42 AM
I find anytime I order via the mail I take my chances,
so when I want OEM I go to my dealer and then if there
exist any problems they can deal with that crap.

Because why pay more, but what if my dealer has it, and what if I don't know the part,
any number of good reasons I might go to the dealer. And you are right, with OEM I
don't want this wrong part nonsense, hence the dealer, price is the same and if it is
the wrong part it's just 15 minutes up the road.

But if I want a discount and I know exactly what I need and where to buy it
and I got the time, then I'll mail order the stuff, just how I do it.

Because you're not the first one they sent the wrong part to :p
And aftermarket suppliers are just as likely to make that mistake.
There's no real difference there, not from my perspective.

David Haggerty
10-23-2008, 07:28 AM
I had spindles in a mower that were loose like that. I called the manufacturer and actually got to talk to the guy that helped design the machine.
He said the bearings were "slip fit" so they could be replaced by the owner. They needed replaced every year.
I went to a machine shop and had new spindle shafts made that were press fit. Never had any more bearing problems.
It's hard to tell what tolerance your OEM spindle was manufactured to. Or it may be like you said just a bad one. But if you're replacing spindles, I dunno.
The aftermarket could have very well have been machined to closer tolerances.

This is one of the reasons I've gravitated to all Toro. Their replacement bearings come in a kit. Spacer, taper roller bearings and shims that are precision ground to that particular bearing pack. It gives tolerances that are perfect.
Though Toro does have ball bearings in some of their low end products.

mcduff48
10-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Got my new OEM spindle assembly UPS from Wright for $150. Open the box and the tag tells me it is not for my 36"... but 48" and up. OK.... box it up and sent it back, just down time for a few more days. But I did not order another OEM... why? you ask.

I could pull the center shaft up and down about an eight of an inch? With pressed on bearings to center shaft... pressed into housing... sealed ball bearings... How can I pull this shaft up and down? No I did not pull the snap rings out and take it apart... as curious as I may have been... just wanted it gone.

Got one from Russo much cheaper it seems fine. Really now.. that had to have been a bad spindle, correct. Brought it over to a retired heavy equipment mechanic friend and he thought so too, or did I miss something here. Do not think I would ever buy another OEM spindle.

Thanks for any replies.

Were you able to order your spindle directly from Wright? :usflag:

Lawn Pawn
10-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Were you able to order your spindle directly from Wright?

Ordered spindle from closest dealer.... about 100 miles away.

I am assured it was indeed OEM.