PDA

View Full Version : Ferris WB ???

mf13368
10-23-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm looking at 2 Ferris WB's and was looking for some feedback.

#1 Used Hydrowalk - 48", 14 Kohler, Owner is not sure if this single or dual hydro. I tried asking him how he turned it but couldn't gather much from that conversation. I've only seen pics (2 hours away) but it appears to have been well-used (or at least not well maintained appearance wise). Current owner used it to cut his own property but he bought it from a church (the church ownership part concerns me from a maintenance standpoint). Decent price - $1400 but really wanted 36" rather than 48".

#2 New Hydrocut - 32", 13 Kaw, single hydro, Leftover stock at dealer so does not have new quick adjust deck. $2195

Negatives for both - Nearest Ferris dealer is 70 miles away.

Are the Hydrowalks single or dual hydro?

Thanks!

Mark

bohiaa
10-23-2008, 10:58 AM
no experance whth them personaly, however I have a froend that cut's only with Ferris.

he swears by them

ericmcj31
10-23-2008, 12:28 PM
I have Ferris'. I have a 48 WB DD---mine is a 19 HP. To me the 14 is too few HP especially if you're gonna be using a velke/sulky. Kinda a high price, too--it would be third owner (you) and you said yourself that it's not too well maintained. If you go look at it-FIRST thing-check the oil--if it looks black, then you know that it prob. wasn't maintained well--and oil is the most important thing as far as engine life. Second check its air filter, if really clogged-then taht should tell you somethign--I mean he knows that you're coming to look at/possibly buy-and I would AT LEAST change oil/sharpen blades/clean or replace filter. if he's not willing ot do that-then I would DEF walk away. I would also try to get him around the 1,000 mark.

Sounds like the second is a better deal-although smaller (deck). 13 hp is great for 36'' WB. I assume it comes with the 2-year warranty?? 70-mile drive is a bummer-esp. if something small happens-you've wasted half a day taking/picking up each time.

If I were you, I'd prob. look into another brand-not that anything is wrong with Ferris, as I said I love mine and have used them for about 7-8 years now-but first isn't really a good deal, and the distance to your dealer doesn't sound good either. Good luck!