PDA

View Full Version : stihl in all john deere stores?

meets1
10-23-2008, 10:34 AM
At the JD dealer yesterday and they asked if I owned any stihl products. Nope! They said they can as deere dealer be a stihl dealer. Stihl said it doesn't matter if there is a dealer next door. They also said they need to buy 25K a year worth of stihl stuff.

Anyone else heard or know about this?

1999frontier
10-23-2008, 10:38 AM
I saw this in my free TURF magazine I rec'ed last week.

Sammy
10-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Heard about it last month.

bohiaa
10-23-2008, 10:50 AM
new to me I thought anyone could be a dealer as long as the meet there requirements.

I went to a demo once and they loaned me a line trimmer for a week.

It worked I went and purchased one the folling week

meets1
10-23-2008, 09:13 PM
what I don't get is dealers are kinda dying out and yet stihl wants to go the DEERE route - I suppose for more exposure and lucritive sales yet leave the die hard 25 yr stihl dealer out there to fend for himself.

P.Services
10-23-2008, 09:18 PM
i will continue to buy from my 25yr dealer who is fending for himself. i get GREAT service so i have no reason to change.

mowerbrad
10-23-2008, 10:43 PM
I think that stihl got the contract to make Deere's handhelds? If I remember correctly kawi was making them before for Deere.

WH401
10-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Down here Stihl's are sold at the John Deere dealer, as well as at the Kubota one.

meets1
10-23-2008, 11:44 PM
really what drives market share?

I have a kubota dealer here is also bobcat dealer. He can't get any bobcat telehandlers cuz a digger dealer an hour away has that market - now he can order you one and i pay two people there mark up or I drive. Same with the new bobcat tractors. He can't get them due to the same reason.

Same with kubota. He has tried and was told he can't get any of the new kubota skids. I think they be tough at first but they'll sell - kubota unit has to be pretty good even if it is new out of the gate.

Same with our new holland dealer. All ag. They have tried a few times for construction. There told know b/c a dealer 45 miles away has construction and ag and to much overlap to sell consctruction equipment.

I have a jonsreed dealer. He is being called from 1 - 2 hours away cuz jonsreed has dropped a few dealers and now he likes it cuz he is serving and getting parts. But to me with small stuff - matter of time b/f someone else picks jonsreed up.

I don't get it!

MowerMedic77
10-23-2008, 11:52 PM
This was posted back in July..........
http://www.stihlusa.com/pressoffice/releases/corporate/jul08_deere.html

mowerknower
10-24-2008, 12:40 AM
All JD dealers will have the option of selling stihl if they meet stihls requirements. Not everyone can be a dealer. In fact it stihl is very pickey about who can be a dealer. For the most part JD stores meet the requirement to be a stihl dealer.

newz7151
10-24-2008, 12:50 AM
For the most part JD stores meet the requirement to be a stihl dealer.

Yeah, lots of money or lots of credit, and usually large places with plenty of wall space.

Runner
10-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Many Deere dealers have already been Stihl dealers for several years. I don't understand what the new news is. Am I missing something?

meets1
10-24-2008, 08:07 PM
I think the news is deere is wanting exclusive stihl products in deere stores. I know my store is not doing it yet but is being pushed hard by deere to offer stihl.

LAWNKILLER
10-30-2008, 04:02 PM
STIHL won't let us be a dealer for them because the want us to have as much space for their product as the next closes Stihl dealer, 200 linear ft. Stihl is goo,, but not that good. If I were to give up 200 ft to anything it will be to JD toys.

CFB
10-30-2008, 10:41 PM
They sell stihl at a box store here.... Big R, similar to farm n fleet. Have for years. Have all the products.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-30-2008, 11:24 PM
STIHL won't let us be a dealer for them because the want us to have as much space for their product as the next closes Stihl dealer, 200 linear ft. Stihl is goo,, but not that good. If I were to give up 200 ft to anything it will be to JD toys.

I just shopped the Stihl product line at my hometown Deere dealer yesterday. Dealer did comment on how much wall space Stihl requires, just as you stated. Its kind of funny, Deere stuff gets like one corner and Stihl gets a whole wall and this business has been operating for 25 years or more.