PDA

View Full Version : Hand controls

TheGrassGators
10-23-2008, 09:48 AM
This is going to sound like a weird question and I can already see minds going in the gutter but I need to ask.

I just bought a used 48" Scag walk behind and want to know if there is a way to make it easier to use the twin hand controls? I am a woman with small hands. My hand just isn't big enough to comfortably squeeze the controls. I can get the job done, it just isn't pretty.

Any suggestions?

bohiaa
10-23-2008, 09:55 AM
when I purchased a BOP product, it had rather small hand grips on it.

it was next to nothing to b honest I quickly went down to my local wal mart and purchased Bycycle hand grips that looked confortable, however this made the reach longer and it was hard to use. Really caused pain after a while. ya may want to try hand grips that are very small.

Best of luck to u

JimQ
10-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Adding grips isn't much of an option. The issue is, the handle tube is large in diameter and the OPC lever is huge. The combination of the 2 make for a HUGE grip.

I wish I had an easy solution for you. Unfortunately, I don't. I feel like that's a real shortcoming of that design for operators with smaller hands.

Q

topsites
10-23-2008, 10:24 AM
I know this doesn't really help but this is one of the main reasons why I will never own a Wb that isn't a Toro,
I categorically REFUSE to operate pistol grips, that stuff gives me allergic reactions.

SB Gary
10-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Take a look at the Wright Quad lever system. They were designed to relieve the wrist damage from the pistol style mowers. Did you do a proper demo before you bought? Had you spent a day with the unit you would have seen the problem. Always ask for a demo and spend time with the machine.

ALC-GregH
10-23-2008, 11:33 AM
"She" said it was used. Are you going to let someone "use" the mower your trying to sell for a full day of use before you let them hand over the money? I sure as heII wouldn't. If you want it, give me the money and it's yours.

naturescape
10-23-2008, 11:42 AM
On my Exmark Turf Tracer WB, I added a "spacer" to the spring so there would be less resistance, also you can remove the OPC and put on a jet-ski type OPC that connects to you.

If you do these 2 things, you will see, I think, at least a 50% reduction in effort. Do a search for threads on these two suggestions.

ALC-GregH
10-23-2008, 11:45 AM
On my Exmark Turf Tracer WB, I added a "spacer" to the spring so there would be less resistance, also you can remove the OPC and put on a jet-ski type OPC that connects to you.

If you do these 2 things, you will see, I think, at least a 50% reduction in effort. Do a search for threads on these two suggestions.

That's what this forum is all about. I had never thought of these ideas and they sound like a perfect fix for her problem.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Check out the Gravely with Pro-Steer

nemow
10-23-2008, 12:05 PM
This is going to sound like a weird question and I can already see minds going in the gutter but I need to ask.

I just bought a used 48" Scag walk behind and want to know if there is a way to make it easier to use the twin hand controls? I am a woman with small hands. My hand just isn't big enough to comfortably squeeze the controls. I can get the job done, it just isn't pretty.

Any suggestions?

May seem like a silly answer but your hands do get stronger and you will get blisters in all the right places. You may get used to it with practice. Before you add anything have a dealer look it over and see if they can adjust anything on it. I have two 52 scag walk behinds and they are night and day. One is broken in almost to the point of broken down but is really soft to operate. The other is newer, still about 4 years old but newer, and that one hurts your forearms after the first spring day of mowing every year. If you notice that the speed control lever will move the pistol grips up and down closer to the handles the slower the speed. You may want to try running it slow at first (for many reasons) and see if that helps bring the paddles closer to the handles making it easier to reach. Worst cast is you can modify the safety paddles to make them thinner. I would never take them off!! Just modify. Good luck! It gets easier

nemow
10-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Check out the Gravely with Pro-Steer

She just bought a mower. I can name a whole bunch of mowers that are better for smaller hands but she doesn't seem to own any of them. :laugh:

nemow
10-23-2008, 12:14 PM
I just thought of this too...Slid your hands as far forward on the grips as you can. You will get one heck of a blister on the tops of your thumbs but the further forward your hand the less you have to reach your finger tips. I have a 36 scag belt driven mower that at full speed my finger tips just barely touch the controls. The faster the gear the waaay further away the controls are on that thing. ONce you are more comfortable with the operation of the machine you will also notice you dont have to white knuckle it all the time you will be mowing with one hand in no time. The best grip on some mowers like that I have found is to hold on to the handles with your pinky and ring fingers and work the controls with middle and pointer finger...Sorry Im being long winded.

buttaluv
10-23-2008, 12:44 PM
I had the same problem with a few Encore mowers my buddy has, it looks as though they might adjustable? I didn't look to hard since they weren't my mowers though. My Exmark fits me fine, but yeah, after awhile stretching for those grips and the faster you go the farther away they get, it is uncomfortable. I'd trace it all the way down and see if you can adjust them.

mowisme
10-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Just a note on using softer spring..You need to find a 'happy medium' I would think because doesn't that spring you pull agains't when squeezing grip also the one that puts tension on drive belt when you release? to weak of spring =belt slippage and speed reduction..and belt wear? just my thought..Better qualified will know. I've played with my Scag 36 sorta..really can't recall for sure thou. Gene

JimQ
10-23-2008, 01:52 PM
The springs on most walk behinds are stiffer than they need to be so they will work for all conditions. They are generally setup for "worst case". The setup has to be able to handle a heavy operator on a sulky going up a hill.

Assuming we're talking about a hydro drive walk...

You need a stiff forward springs to overcome the force generated by the swashplate in the pump. As the hydraulic system pressure increases (like it does pulling a heavy operator up a hill), it take more force to stroke the pump. (make it go faster).

The reverse spring take more force to overcome than the forward spring. This is done so that there is a distinct neutral/reverse positon with the levers. Thank you ANSI

5.1.2.2 Hand-operated forward-to-reverse (nonvariable-speed) directional control levers shall have a Neutral position.
5.1.2.3 Hand-operated combination direction and variable-speed ratio control lever(s) shall have a device that holds the lever(s) in the neutral position. Provision shall be made for a detectable change when passing through or into neutral.

The springs used on the Scag are relatively long without a bunch of stretch. This means they have a relatively consistent spring rate. Adding a spacer and effectively shortening the spring will do little to reduce the spring rate. You could experiment with springs with a lower spring rate. Most good hardware stores have an assortment to choose from.

Q

JimQ
10-23-2008, 02:02 PM
BTW - I proof read my post AFTER clicking "submit reply". I'd just like to say... no, I am not of Oriental descent.

Please append an "s" to "take", forming "takes" where appropriate and disregard other grammatical errors.

Geeeez.

:laugh:

Q

TheGrassGators
10-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks guys...I mowed more with it today, it wasn't as bad as before, I definiately need to build up my hand and arm strength. I'm also going to try a softer spring.

naturescape
11-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks guys...I mowed more with it today, it wasn't as bad as before, I definiately need to build up my hand and arm strength. I'm also going to try a softer spring.

Did you try the softer spring or spring extension? If so, how is it?