PDA

View Full Version : Damned Cows!

wormrancher
10-23-2008, 01:09 PM
I need some advice... I once had a beautiful lawn, about 4 acres of nicely manicured lawn. Just last night, after 2 days of rain, about 35 of the neighbors cattle got loose and trampled the soggy lawn. The grass is intact, but now I have thousands of holes in the ground. Does anyone have a good idea how to get the lawn back? I hate to till and reseed due to the size and the fact that the grass is still healty, just looking for advice on repairing the divits.-Thanks

Frank Fescue
10-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Have the neighbor pay. If a neighbor of mine had their pet get loose and rip my lawn to shreds it'd be on them.

wormrancher
10-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Pay to do "what" is what I'm asking... Didn't know if rolling was an option or just waiting until it dries and skimming new topsoil on to fill holes.

VO Landscape Design
10-23-2008, 04:02 PM
When I was doing my internship this spring we had to fill "cow holes". they used half sand and half topsoil, filled the holes, seeded. I haven't seen the results and it took sometime to fill all the holes. About half of the yard/hill was going to be tilled and reseeded but it didn't have much grass to begin with.
VO

yardmanlee
10-23-2008, 04:11 PM
I'd have my freezer full of steak and hamburger !!

wormrancher
10-23-2008, 04:42 PM
I have a freezer full of beef already. The rancher/farmer happens to be a friend, and just gave us a 1/4 steer the day before this happened, so I don't really want to stick it to him on this. Just trying to figure a resolution.

yardmanlee
10-23-2008, 04:44 PM
sounds like ya might be filling them holes yourself uless ya dont want anymore free beef

RAlmaroad
10-23-2008, 05:15 PM
I'll have to guess as to when your grass will go dormant but when it does: Dump some course (Not that playground stuff from Lowes) over the holes. Not big huge piles, but what ever a couple of shovels will spread around. Then if you have a small blade for a tractor; turn it around to smooth out the piles into the holes. The grass will come up through the sand. A little cow manure with compost over all of this will just aid the growth and conceal the sand. As said, do when the grass is dormant and the ground is dry.
There was a tree trimming truck that went over one of my yards in SC and this is how I repaired it. Today you cannot tell where the ruts were. Course sand will be available at a landscape provider.
When I was just a boy we had cattle and they would tear down fences. Sometimes they just get bored or spooked--it's their nature. Your neighbor wasn't the cause and I'm sure that he hated the whole thing. Do the right thing by him, fill in the holes and let him pay for the sand. A good neighbor is worth more than one bad night from his cattle. We always mended the broken fences for our neighbors without even being asked.
With everyone hating each other in this old world, sometimes a moment of forgiveness will do more than than a lifetime of hate and bitterness.
Hey I'm old; but have many friends.
Just do the right thing and don't hate the cows. At least they didn't have shoes that would have torn big divots in your turf like horses.

wormrancher
10-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the reply, that was just the answer I was looking for. It was an accident, and certainly not worth ruining a friendship over. I'll see if I can find some coarse sand and give your suggestion a try.

Jason Rose
10-23-2008, 07:01 PM
What's your soil type? If it's sandy at all the hoof holes will likely repair themselves over time. i've had cows get loose in a neghiborhood I mow in and left some doosey holes in some lawns. Believe it or not, over time the soil went back to where it was originally and the holes were gone. The time frame this happened in wasn't tracked, but it wasn't all that long...

It's amazing what dirt does, it's not as "solid" as most people believe.

RAlmaroad
10-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the reply, that was just the answer I was looking for. It was an accident, and certainly not worth ruining a friendship over. I'll see if I can find some coarse sand and give your suggestion a try.

That's the way! Good for you--now for another good bit--The freeze and thaw of the winter will almost do a favor to you, but do use the sand and compost. There's something above you and I that looks kindly on compassion. Roy

ECS
10-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Lawns out here get trampled like that nearly every day from elk, moose and buffalo, especially this time of year when the elk are migrating and you have herds come through a lawn overnigh. The golf cousr here has herds of elk on them all day & night, along with bison year round and moose year round. They just let them be as well. No one worries about them and as the grass grows back and gets cut, it will look like an even lawn again. Out here, we just leave them.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Sounds like natural core aeration to me:)