PDA

View Full Version : Are these trees dying? (pics)

Kurfer
10-23-2008, 08:43 PM
I hope i'm in the right forum, this seems to be the biggest place on the internet as far as landscaping goes. If I am in the wrong place then please accept my apologies but I really would love to hear from people much smarter than me.

I have several trees that were planted in a brutal drought ridden summer in Louisville, KY. They started out great but I have a weeping cherry tree that was attacked my Japanese Beetles and lost the leaves in the middle of the branch. The leaves eventually fell off and never grew back, over the course of the summer the tree started losing leaves and now it's almost completely bare. The tree was planted some time in July...

Here is the tree accompanied by a new Japanese maple planted at the same time:

http://gallery.mac.com/kurfer/100113/DSC_0081/web.jpg

Now here is the tree (picture taken today)

http://gallery.mac.com/kurfer/100113/DSC_0094/web.jpg

As you can see, it still has green under the bark and the branches are very durable.

http://gallery.mac.com/kurfer/100113/DSC_0096/web.jpg

The next item is the Japanese maple, I felt like I watered the heck out of this thing but this is how it looks now. There are still traces of green but alot of brittle branches.

http://gallery.mac.com/kurfer/100113/DSC_0097/web.jpg

My last tree is a weeping willow, it seemed to go into tree shock weeks after planting and eventually lost most (90%) of it's leaves before the month of July even ended. I am not sure if I should cut down all the dead limbs or see if it recovers in the spring.

http://gallery.mac.com/kurfer/100113/DSC_0104/web.jpg

So my biggest question is that I have no idea what to do with the trees other than wait. Do I wait until spring to see what happens or should I be cutting away the dead branches or should I pull them out of the ground completely? The dead looking weeping willow has an identical healthy one right next to it that's doing great.

Sorry for the long thread! Thanks in advance for reading!

cpel2004
10-23-2008, 09:45 PM
A couple of questions for you?
What type of tree?
How long have they been planted?
Was it container grown or feild grown?
What has been your watering schedule?

Michael J. Donovan
10-23-2008, 10:28 PM
we also have a tree forum - www.treeservicessite.com - thought you may want to post your question there as well

JNyz
10-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Grass looks dried out so I assume someone let the trees dry out too. Are the buds set for next year? If so you should be ok.

joshua
10-23-2008, 11:51 PM
the weeping cherry looks 50/50, but it did have a healthy bud in the one pic. i don't like the suckers growing on the trunk- they need to be removed. also the stake needs to be removed or loosened. the jap. maple looks fine, beat up but fine. the last one looks like a nishki willow? you might lose that one but if it is a nishki with the growth rates it has it should be fine. if it isn't i would need to know what type of tree it is.
i would prune off the white branches on the maple now- they are dead. and wait until spring and see what is alive and how healthy. looks like to much mulch around the trunk of the weeping cherry or planted to deep.

Kurfer
10-24-2008, 12:35 AM
Grass looks dried out so I assume someone let the trees dry out too. Are the buds set for next year? If so you should be ok.

Not sure what that means about the buds...how can I tell? :)

Kurfer
10-24-2008, 12:36 AM
the weeping cherry looks 50/50, but it did have a healthy bud in the one pic. i don't like the suckers growing on the trunk- they need to be removed. also the stake needs to be removed or loosened. the jap. maple looks fine, beat up but fine. the last one looks like a nishki willow? you might lose that one but if it is a nishki with the growth rates it has it should be fine. if it isn't i would need to know what type of tree it is.
i would prune off the white branches on the maple now- they are dead. and wait until spring and see what is alive and how healthy. looks like to much mulch around the trunk of the weeping cherry or planted to deep.

The weeping cheery tree feels the healthiest of all of them, very durable branches with lots of bend-ability.

THe one tree that you said was a Nishki, I thought was a weeping willow tree.

topsites
10-24-2008, 02:52 AM
This is exactly my beef with the landscaping community today,
it is rare anymore to see a job well done, for a decent price, truly rare.

And I am assuming a landscaping type of company did this, seeing how you said they
were planted, you didn't plant them, or at least you didn't say it that way.

On that note, have you called them?
What did they say?

Because whoever planted those trees is responsible, you're not supposed to do any
planting outside of certain temperature ranges due to the impact on the plant.

You see, a plant is a living thing, just like we are.
And temperatures affect a plant like it does us, too.
Planting most anything should only be done in milder temperatures,
say when it's between 60-70 degrees fahrenheit.

Planted that crap in the middle of farking summer, whether that in itself is responsible I couldn't tell you,
but it didn't help and it's not the way this is supposed to be done.

Now you might wait until spring, but it really depends who put them in, too.
If you did it, get new ones.
If you paid someone else, haul them back in and make them fix their mistake.

allinearth
10-24-2008, 08:00 AM
This is exactly my beef with the landscaping community today,
it is rare anymore to see a job well done, for a decent price, truly rare.

And I am assuming a landscaping type of company did this, seeing how you said they
were planted, you didn't plant them, or at least you didn't say it that way.

On that note, have you called them?
What did they say?

Because whoever planted those trees is responsible, you're not supposed to do any
planting outside of certain temperature ranges due to the impact on the plant.

You see, a plant is a living thing, just like we are.
And temperatures affect a plant like it does us, too.
Planting most anything should only be done in milder temperatures,
say when it's between 60-70 degrees fahrenheit.

Planted that crap in the middle of farking summer, whether that in itself is responsible I couldn't tell you,
but it didn't help and it's not the way this is supposed to be done.

Now you might wait until spring, but it really depends who put them in, too.
If you did it, get new ones.
If you paid someone else, haul them back in and make them fix their mistake.
How is it the landscapers responsibility if somone doesn't water correctly? Yeah he says he watered but.....? Anything that is going to be nice takes maintenance.

dean1130
10-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Well I own a tree and landscape company and do integrated pest management. The cherry is still healthy. I would not cut any of the trees or remove them. The willow should come back, they are a very hard tree to kill. A willow you should water alot, they take alot of water. The japanese maple , now did it wilt before the leaf curled??? For one I don't think you should have planted the maple at the top of the hill, water will be running off and not be kept for the tree. That could be a problem. Who planted the trees? Did you dig the holes 2-4 times the size of the root ball. They could have been planted to deep or too high. The staking is fine, leave it staked. The trees are def lacking water. Make sure you water them in the spring and you can also install soaker hose around the trees to provide the right amount of water. You may want to put in a irrigation system if leaving the trees on the slope, when they get older they will have better water and nutrient uptake. As far as the japanese beetle, they don't usually kill trees totally, but if lacking from water and having the beetle eat, bot will kill the tree. You can buy a homeowner insecticide to spray for the beetles, or anything with sevin. Keep them and see what they look like in the spring and go from there. If they die its from lack of water.

dean1130
10-24-2008, 09:34 AM
one more thing, the best tree forum is called www.treebuzz.com. Its tree care only. You all will enjoy this site.

Smallaxe
10-24-2008, 09:44 AM
How is it the landscapers responsibility if somone doesn't water correctly? Yeah he says he watered but.....? Anything that is going to be nice takes maintenance.

That is a lame excuse that justifies some of the worst planting scenarios that I have seen.

A properly planted and PROPERLY watered bush of that size needs very little care from the homeowner. If it is a properly timed fall planting it would require ZERO care from the HO after the LCO has checked up on the 2nd day.

I would like to hear what a properly planted potted bush, bareroot, t-plant or B&B would look like? What steps are essential to ENSURE success?

That one picture looked like it wasn't even set in the ground straight. :laugh: Pay a drunk minimum wage to plant trees and shrubs, thats what you get.
I had one expert in irrigation water a hillside of B&B by an extension of the lawn pop-up sprinklers. Those B&Bs were put in sand w/out water, mulched over with pine needles on a 45 degree angle slope.
The idiot [I mean expert] didn't seem to have a clue that sprinklers or rain is NOT going to penetrate into the soil b4 running down the hill over a pine needle mat.

Kurfer
10-24-2008, 12:15 PM
That is a lame excuse that justifies some of the worst planting scenarios that I have seen.

A properly planted and PROPERLY watered bush of that size needs very little care from the homeowner. If it is a properly timed fall planting it would require ZERO care from the HO after the LCO has checked up on the 2nd day.

I would like to hear what a properly planted potted bush, bareroot, t-plant or B&B would look like? What steps are essential to ENSURE success?

That one picture looked like it wasn't even set in the ground straight. :laugh: Pay a drunk minimum wage to plant trees and shrubs, thats what you get.
I had one expert in irrigation water a hillside of B&B by an extension of the lawn pop-up sprinklers. Those B&Bs were put in sand w/out water, mulched over with pine needles on a 45 degree angle slope.
The idiot [I mean expert] didn't seem to have a clue that sprinklers or rain is NOT going to penetrate into the soil b4 running down the hill over a pine needle mat.

First of all, thanks for all the replies. Letís not insult the installer just yet since there may be details I didnít get into. I am just wondering about the health of these trees and whether I need to take action to protect or replace them.
My backyard has an aggressive uphill slope, I love my house hate my yard. The entire project was done in July, the waterfall was installed/mulch/deck painted/shrubs/trees all done at the same time.
I can honestly say that I donít think my guy knows his trees, I canít blame him too much because we had VERY little rain over the summer; everyone who did not have irrigation lost their yard. It was constant 99 degree sunny heat all summer long.
Lesson learned, next year I put irrigation in the back yard. As far as timing, I wanted trees in the backyard but landscapers around me all claim to be over-booked all summer and getting someone in during spring is next to impossible. My guy is the owner of a new company, I knew I would be taking risks going into the install.
As far as the trees, I am thinking about moving the weeping cherry tree to the top and moving the jap maple somewhere else. The location of the cherry tree is an aggressive uphill slop and I think itís not getting enough water no matter how much I water it.

JNyz
10-24-2008, 03:27 PM
The title of this forum is commercial landscaping, not homeowner questions. Call your county extension agent and discuss it with him. Don't bother us again.

Kurfer
10-24-2008, 06:40 PM
The title of this forum is commercial landscaping, not homeowner questions. Call your county extension agent and discuss it with him. Don't bother us again.

Wow you're a real tough guy. I bet you roll your cigarettes up in your sleeve.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
10-24-2008, 06:45 PM

WOW! That's harsh!

Whitey4
10-24-2008, 11:16 PM

Were you the guy that did this poor install? Or did someone just take a dump in your cheerios this morning?

Green Team Landscaping
10-24-2008, 11:24 PM
This is kinda irrelevant, but you have a really nice camera. That 1st pic could be an advertisement for Honda it's that good. And clear too.

allinearth
10-25-2008, 08:25 AM
I have had plenty of success planting all summer. The key is proper irrigation. What makes you think that any kind of plant material is better off in a black plastic container in the nursery than in the ground. Sure there are some scenerios that I would recomend that the customer wait it until fall. Mainly if I didn't think they would irrigate properly.

JNyz
10-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Were you the guy that did this poor install? Or did someone just take a dump in your cheerios this morning?

I will help any contractor on this forum but when homeowners come on to this forum acting like a contractor it does not help any of us. I told him to look to see if the buds were set and he didn'tknow what the meaning of that was. There are plenty of forums for him.

By the way someone did dump in my cheerios the othe day when I looked at my 401k and it was down over 350,000.

Natural Impressions
10-25-2008, 01:58 PM

Be happy a homeowner is trying to get some helpful advice instead of just blaming the installer. I would like few customers like this.

ProMo
10-25-2008, 02:27 PM

That is a rather rude comment

Smallaxe
10-25-2008, 07:12 PM
First of all, thanks for all the replies. Letís not insult the installer just yet since there may be details I didnít get into. I am just wondering about the health of these trees and whether I need to take action to protect or replace them.
My backyard has an aggressive uphill slope, I love my house hate my yard. The entire project was done in July, the waterfall was installed/mulch/deck painted/shrubs/trees all done at the same time.
I can honestly say that I donít think my guy knows his trees, I canít blame him too much because we had VERY little rain over the summer; everyone who did not have irrigation lost their yard. It was constant 99 degree sunny heat all summer long.
Lesson learned, next year I put irrigation in the back yard. As far as timing, I wanted trees in the backyard but landscapers around me all claim to be over-booked all summer and getting someone in during spring is next to impossible. My guy is the owner of a new company, I knew I would be taking risks going into the install.
As far as the trees, I am thinking about moving the weeping cherry tree to the top and moving the jap maple somewhere else. The location of the cherry tree is an aggressive uphill slop and I think itís not getting enough water no matter how much I water it.

I was not cracking on your guy in particular, except for the crooked tree comment :), but rather agreeing with the fellow that said - it is a rare thing to find a proper install at a reasonale price.
But I am glad that you brought 1 more point to the fore. Sprinkling with irrigation is not going to save your bushes, especially on the hill. Soak the darn things at install then again the next day then once or twice a week thereafter depending on the heat. Simple and no more problem. Watch for air bubbles and have enough of a dish around the base for a nice puddle b4 you shut the hose off.
People who have shrubs and grass on the same sprinkling zones are NOT professional grade irrigation folk.

Whitey4
10-26-2008, 12:50 AM
I will help any contractor on this forum but when homeowners come on to this forum acting like a contractor it does not help any of us. I told him to look to see if the buds were set and he didn'tknow what the meaning of that was. There are plenty of forums for him.

By the way someone did dump in my cheerios the othe day when I looked at my 401k and it was down over 350,000.

:laugh: I hear ya.....

joshua
10-26-2008, 01:01 AM
wait till spring and post more pics of them, you will get answers. trees, shrubs, cutting grass, and fertilizing shouldn't be done once the temp. is over 85degrees but then again this isn't a perfect world.

lot0210
10-26-2008, 01:58 AM
Hay Obama gets in office none of us will have 401ks he wants the gov to take and regulate them all

JNyz
10-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Hay Obama gets in office none of us will have 401ks he wants the gov to take and regulate them all

Most of us have made more money in the last 8 years then we ever had. Why change and take a chance?

Isobel
10-26-2008, 11:45 AM

wow. that was rude.