PDA

View Full Version : new to the business

nubbie
02-11-2002, 09:17 PM
I am new to the business. I worked for a landscaping/construction company but all I did was the bull work I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to get the best an latest info on estimating costs of jobs and time.
EX: books, reference material, etc....

Any help would be greatly appreciated:blob3:

heygrassman
02-11-2002, 09:42 PM
Site Work and Landscape Cost Data 2001 20th Edition
by RS Means

$90 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/087629588X/qid=1013478097/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-3054966-9148624

Everything you can imagine and more, except cutting grass and trimming.

nubbie
02-11-2002, 11:13 PM
Thank you for the insight I bought the book already(got a good deal on a used one) Just in case my last message was a littla vague I am starting a landscaping business. So I need info on everything on lawn maintence costs to commercial bidding. I hope this book will help. Any other suggestions are greatly accepted. What about Nilsson's?

heygrassman
02-12-2002, 12:42 AM
Good Luck. If you find a good one please share. I think there are a few of us that could benefit from that..

jf

LawnLad
02-12-2002, 10:26 AM
Pricing for the Green Industry by Frank Ross. I think you can get it through ALCA.

Nilsson's stuff is okay, but I didn't find it very helpful. He is the moderator on the Lawn & Landscape Message Board. You might ask what books he might recommend. I think they have a return policy if it isn't what you're looking for.

nubbie
02-12-2002, 01:12 PM
What is the ALCA? Will it help me with setting up how much to charge for services? The biggest problem I am experiencing is the fact I do not know how much to charge for different services. Is there a book that has an industry standard or average?

LawnLad
02-12-2002, 04:29 PM
ALCA stands for Associated Landscape Contractors of America. Check them out at www.alca.org

Also, just posted about pricing on the following thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25014

Your pricing is based on your cost of operation for your company within your market - there is no industry norm. The toughest part of any new business is knowing how to charge for your services. I ask myself the same questions today. How much should I charge this year? How much is too much, too little? You'll always ask this question and as time goes on, your answers will vary for different reasons.

The best thing you can do for yourself as research, research and research. Then make an educated decision and go with your gut based on the information you have. Pay attention, go back and revise your numbers. Learn from your mistakes. Trial and error. As you learn more, you'll ask more questions and you'll seek new knowledge. This will only cause you to ask more questions. The more you know the better educated your guesses will be.

No one here has the answers, you have to make you own decision based on the knowledge you have. We're all guessing. Difference is... some of our guesses are educated and come from more research, time, experience and networking. All things that you can get if you dedicated to developing your business.

tailoredlook
02-13-2002, 12:57 PM
industrybooks.com or nillson associates. thats where i got my books