PDA

View Full Version : starting a web site?

ACA L&L
10-24-2008, 01:44 AM
Ok we have been in bizness now for over 13 years. Its now time for a website. I have no idea where to start, any and all help would be awesome. I mean from square one, so let me have it.

shepoutside
10-24-2008, 06:41 AM
http://members.freewebs.com/

Play around here, get a feel for what you want/need. Very easy to use !!

Roger TheShrubber
10-24-2008, 07:14 AM
I design websites in the cooler months. Let me know if I can help.

http://thunderclouddesign.net

cbscreative
10-24-2008, 01:23 PM
I'd start with research. Obviously, you already have your 13 year old business and don't need to become an expert in web design, but I advise getting informed enough to avoid being taken. There's a lot of snake oil being sold as web design. I've been here long enough to know that this forum has some good info already here, so you may want to begin with a search through existing threads.

For sure, your first step is a domain name. You want to pick a good one that describes your company/services that is easy to remember. Create a list of ones you would like to have. DO NOT do a search until you are ready to register it. As soon as you search, it will become unavailable within a matter of hours. Get both the .com and the .net if you can. GoDaddy.com is a good place to register domain names. You do not need a host right away, but getting the domain name is important.

Turboguy
10-24-2008, 08:52 PM
I agree with CBS. Go ahead and get your domain name now. If it takes a while to get the rest of it put together there is no rush. The domain name will only cost you $ 9.95 a year and it can just sit as long as it has to.

Sit down with a piece of paper and pick out names you might like. Pick out as many choices as you can before you do any search. Go for a .com name if at all possible. The only other acceptable alternative is .net. Rate them in the order that you like them. for example lawnzilla.com (ist choice) LawnzillaLLC.com (second choice) LawnzillaLawnCare.com (third choice).

I would highly recommend GoDaddy.com for Domain registration but do not like them for hosting. They are head and shoulders better than other services. You can go there and plug in the names you have picked to see if they are available. Register it right away and go with the best available choice. Do more than one if you have any doubts. At worst you will be throwiing away ten bucks on one you never use.

You always want the domain name registered to you. Never let anyone keep it in their name. After you have the name you can worry about design and hosting.

Teresa Weisenbarger
11-11-2008, 04:23 PM
first you need domain after that you have web hosting and you have ready design upload it and start you business ok if you have such product you ned cart to sell products..

Team-Green L&L
11-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Keyword-Rich Domain Name

Apthost.Net for Hosting

Private Registration to keep solicitors at bay

SSL if you plan to collect visitor info

5-12 pages of good content and another 5-10 of advertising content.

A contact form that links to your PDA or calls your cell when estimates come in is well worth the expense. The first calls usually lands the deal.

Fork out the $ for a MySQL admin database and you'll reap many rewards

If you need further assistance please PM me.

Kiril
11-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Not following your logic TG.

RickR1818
11-11-2008, 11:03 PM
You need to have a background in Web Design or IT to follow his logic.

Kiril
11-11-2008, 11:25 PM

I do, and still not following most of it. I can't see why anyone in the service industry would even need most of that stuff. Private registration is the only thing I see as a must have. Not really sure what a "Keyword-Rich Domain Name" is? I guess have key words in your domain name.

Team-Green L&L
11-11-2008, 11:27 PM

You're probably right there. I have a bad habit of thinking that everyone speaks my "language". The best way to get a commercial website is to let someone give you "what you want". All you need to do is know what that is. Do you know exactly what you want your site to "Do" and "Say" and "why" on both of those?

Turboguy
11-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Not following your logic TG.

What part of my logic are you not following Kiril?

The keyword rich domain name was TeamGreen's post but I agree with him. I will try to explain what he means and I will also talk about keyword rich content.

A keyword rich domain name is one where the search term is incorporated into the domain name. For example if you are a landscaper in Suffolk County NY and your business name is Suffolk County Landscaping the domain SuffolkCountyLandscaping.com would be a keyword rich domain name. The likelihood of it coming up number one in a search for landscapers in Suffolk county would be very high.

My business is different from most of you in that I manufacture landscaping equipment. We have a number of different products and I use a separate website for each product. For example we make straw blowers. My domain name for my straw blower site is www.strawblowers.com That is a keyword rich domain name. My turf sprayer site is www.TurfSprayers.com. also a keyword rich domain name. We make ice control sprayers and my domain name is www.IceControlSprayers.com We have been making some watering units for the past few years. I started a website for that a few months ago. My domain name is www.WateringUnits.com To be honest this site has had a few hundred visitors, yet a month after I put the site up if I did a search for watering units on Google it came up number 1. A keyword rich domain name does help search results.

Let's talk about keyword rich content. Keywords in the meta tags are not as important as they used to be. Use of your keywords several times preferably early in your text and as often as you can without spamming will help your search engine rankings.

Let's say for example you are in the landscaping business in Sufflok county NY. If your text in your home page reads something like.

Looking for a quality landscape contractor in Suffolk County NY?......................... Suffolk county homeowners have found XX to be a reliable Landscaper who cares about their having the best landscape in the neighborhood. .................. XX has been serving Sufflok County NY for 12 years and if you need landscaping work done we would be happy to give you a free estimate. Call today.

Ignore the words that I threw together pretty fast but my point is that text that mentions Suffolk County and Landscaping or landscape contractors will be more easily picked up by the search engines and in all probability would rate much higher than text that talks about quality lawns but does not mention Suffolk county or landscaping.

In the old days people would pull tricks like repeating over and over Suffolk county landscape contractors in white text on a white background that users would not see but search engines could read. That tactic today will get you booted from the search engines so it should be avoided.

Kiril
11-12-2008, 09:50 AM
What part of my logic are you not following Kiril?

TG = Team-Grean, unless your posting under 2 different names.

The keyword rich domain name was TeamGreen's post but I agree with him. I will try to explain what he means and I will also talk about keyword rich content.

I understand what a key word is, and how to choose domain names that will position your site higher on search engines, ... it was the wording. :dizzy:

My business is different from most of you in that I manufacture landscaping equipment. We have a number of different products and I use a separate website for each product

Why not use subdomains and save yourself the cost of registering and managing multiple domains? One well chosen domain with any key word(s) subdomain of your choosing.

sprayblow.com -> pesticides.sprayblow.com -> deicing.sprayblow.com -> mulch.sprayblow.com

meta tags are not as important as they used to be.

You are correct, and many crawlers ignore them.

Use of your keywords several times preferably early in your text and as often as you can without spamming will help your search engine rankings.

There are ways to include a meta tag type key words list without printing/displaying them (not that cheesy white text on a white background either). :rolleyes:

Turboguy
11-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Sorry, I guess we do share the same initials. Another non related forum I am active in I get addressed as TG so often that seeing it just got me off track.

I agree that subdomains are another option and they could work fairly well. I think too that most theories of SEO are guesses and about the time someone figures things out the search engines change their algorithms and what worked well may change. Still a domain name and good wording can help and yes there are ways to use the keywords without having them appear in the text. I still think using your keywords in your text is a good thing.

Team-Green L&L
11-12-2008, 04:40 PM
My method of operation is in off-site optimization and keyword-rich content + keyword-rich domain linking. I own around 450 domains, all are industry-related and keyword-rich. This gives me a lot of linking capabilities without the need to find link partners of relative value.

I also use about 25% of my efforts towards press releases, articles, and informational content (pages). Google LOVES information and curses advertising. REMEMBER THAT! Make your site informational as a #1 priority and Google will LOVE you for it.

ACA L&L
11-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Wow Im lost!! I was the original poster here, I think im gonna try and use a build your own site type of thing for now. I just need it for current customers to refer to the site for monthly updates. anyadvice as to which web hosting company is the best for this would be cool. thanks, also as u can tell i donot have a bachground in computer programming.

BDLC Mikey
11-29-2008, 04:44 PM
check ixwebhosting.com they are cheap and offer everything

WebMan
11-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Wow Im lost!! I was the original poster here, I think im gonna try and use a build your own site type of thing for now. I just need it for current customers to refer to the site for monthly updates. anyadvice as to which web hosting company is the best for this would be cool. thanks, also as u can tell i donot have a bachground in computer programming.

and I can understand why :dizzy: you've been blasted by a lot of stuff that's way beyond what you would ever need. Now, if you're a larger company and you're in a highly competitive market where lots of landscapers have great looking websites, then you're probably going to need some of that stuff. But I can't imagine someone keeping 450 websites around just for SEO... even at GoDaddy that's an expensive proposition... but to each his own and if that's what works for him and he's happy I'm happy.

To the original poster, you were bombarded with a whole lot of advanced website stuff and you just want to start a website. You're a beginner, and none of the stuff they posted about makes a bit of sense to you, and it's certainly understandable and in fact, when it comes to something like landscaping; most of it's really not that necessary.
Now for the machinery manufacturer, I can understand. He has a large budget and a lot of people to compete with.
But you probably don't have either one of those. So what you need is a good website; if you have one built it will cost you in the neighborhood of $200-$400, or you can choose a hosting plan with a do it yourself website builder, and like many people do; come back here and post for tips and help as you're building your website. And if you look back through the last 10 or 20 threads here you'll find that people have given lots of help to other people with websites they're building themselves. That shouldn't cost you any more than nine or $10 a month, and most web hosts will give you a free month, or at least a 30 day moneyback guarantee to try out their website builder.

That way, you don't need any software on your computer and the good ones have videos that will guide you step-by-step through building your own website, and after you've played with it long enough, it can look just as good as one that was professionally designed; and mainly if you do it right it can bring you, just as much business and make you just as much money!

So I'd suggest either finding a good web designer, who is familiar with building websites for contractors and small businesses or finding a web host, who provides excellent hosting services with plenty of support (a toll-free support number always comes in handy) and try doing one yourself.
First you'll need a domain name; and while what the fellow said was true about having keywords in your domain name, it's not a necessity at all, remember he's in a much more competitive market than you are, (unless you're in a densely populated section of a city like Chicago competing with 500 other landscapers, all of which have great-looking websites). A good web host will help you pick out a domain name, if you don't already have one in mind that is available.
The main thing is to be sure and get one that ends in.com. You don't want any of the other extensions. If there's one important point about domain name it's to get one that ends in .com. After you get the domain name, you'll need a hosting package. You can get them both from the same company or by the domain name one place and get hosting somewhere else.
Then you can decide when picking a hosting company, whether you're going to be doing it yourself or not.
If you're going to give it a try picking a host with a really good do-it-yourself program can make all the difference (and there are dozens of different do-it-yourself programs out there; from bad to great). I suggest always giving a host a call first, that will let you know how fast they respond, which is very important if you're in trouble and need them; and you can get an idea if what they have is what you need. If you're going to have a web designer do the website then your hosting requirements won't depend on having a website builder. In that case just look for a good host again with excellent support, and with a very good uptime record. You want a host with a guaranteed uptime of at least 99.9%. Preferably 99.99%.

Best of luck, and if I can help you with anything else in plain English. Just ask or give me a call :dizzy: