PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil sample review

Turf Dawg
10-24-2008, 07:14 AM
I recieved my sample bottle on Oct 17 and have used about 3 gal of it, so I thought I would write my review. The equipment brands that I used it in are: Echo, Redmax, Kawasaki and Stihl[4mix]. I have three 2.5 gallon no spill cans that I use for my mix-fuel, so I liked the bottle having oz. numbers on the side. It made it easy to put 4oz into a can for a 80:1 mix. The first thing I noticed when using the Amsoil was the smell, it has a stronger smell than anyother oil I have used. When I used it in my newer equipment, a Echo 280 trimmer and Kawasaki hedge trimmer, I did not notice any difference. When I tried it in my 4mix stuff I noticed a immediate difference in the acceleration and power. In the rest of my 2stroke equipment I could notice a slight difference in acceleration and power. Also I had to slow the idle speed on a couple of things. I do believe this is a high quality oil and will continue to use it. The only negative thing I have with this oil is the smell, but I am getting used to it.

lawnboy dan
10-24-2008, 08:27 AM
i love the smell

Happy Frog
10-24-2008, 01:14 PM
i love the smell

Yes, it does smell better than most other oils.
It's not that it is strong, it's just that it is a very distinctive "sweet" smell.

Amsoil works great for me and better than any other oil I tried.

greendave
10-24-2008, 04:28 PM
I just love the smell of Amsoil in the morning, it smells like victory. :cool2:

WH401
10-24-2008, 05:49 PM
I just got a BR600 today and the first tank through it was what the dealer had put in. I suspect most likely it was Stihl Ultra mixed at 50:1. On the first tank it seemed to have a hickup here and there, just like where it would bog down slightly then rev back up. It seemed to be fine but did this a couple of times. I ran that tank through and filled it back up with the mix I had at the house of Amsoil Saber & 89 Gas at 80:1. With that it only had it's hick up once, but the hickup still could have been because of break in. All in all I am pleased with Amsoil Saber and definately pleased with the BR600. It's amazing what that thing can do. It's like "Hells Leaf Blower: The Tim the Toolman Taylor Edition" lol. It's the best $500 I ever spent:cool2:.

Sweet Tater
10-24-2008, 07:13 PM
I just got a BR600 today and the first tank through it was what the dealer had put in. I suspect most likely it was Stihl Ultra mixed at 50:1. On the first tank it seemed to have a hickup here and there, just like where it would bog down slightly then rev back up. It seemed to be fine but did this a couple of times. I ran that tank through and filled it back up with the mix I had at the house of Amsoil Saber & 89 Gas at 80:1. With that it only had it's hick up once, but the hickup still could have been because of break in. All in all I am pleased with Amsoil Saber and definately pleased with the BR600. It's amazing what that thing can do. It's like "Hells Leaf Blower: The Tim the Toolman Taylor Edition" lol. It's the best $500 I ever spent:cool2:.

I agree with the br600 comment, Tim Taylor would be "grunting" for days of one of those..

AmsoilPower
10-24-2008, 09:51 PM
I recieved my sample bottle on Oct 17 and have used about 3 gal of it, so I thought I would write my review. The equipment brands that I used it in are: Echo, Redmax, Kawasaki and Stihl[4mix]. I have three 2.5 gallon no spill cans that I use for my mix-fuel, so I liked the bottle having oz. numbers on the side. It made it easy to put 4oz into a can for a 80:1 mix. The first thing I noticed when using the Amsoil was the smell, it has a stronger smell than anyother oil I have used. When I used it in my newer equipment, a Echo 280 trimmer and Kawasaki hedge trimmer, I did not notice any difference. When I tried it in my 4mix stuff I noticed a immediate difference in the acceleration and power. In the rest of my 2stroke equipment I could notice a slight difference in acceleration and power. Also I had to slow the idle speed on a couple of things. I do believe this is a high quality oil and will continue to use it. The only negative thing I have with this oil is the smell, but I am getting used to it.

Thanks for the review. To get the best pricing, you can sign up as a commercial account. Costs you nothing and saves you 20-30% off retail. All inquires welcome.

lawnwizards
10-24-2008, 09:57 PM
in all fairness, whos to say the intitial "hiccups" werent due to break in in as well?

sweetz
10-25-2008, 02:44 AM
in all fairness, whos to say the intitial "hiccups" werent due to break in in as well?

In all fairness, read his post again, he was basically saying that they ALL could have been because of break in.

lawnwizards
10-25-2008, 07:56 AM
In all fairness, read his post again, he was basically saying that they ALL could have been because of break in.

i did reread it and it still says that the hiccup he got from the amsoil was due to break in where as the hiccups from the stihl oil were due to the oil. maybe he can clarify his post. it is rather confusing to read.

WH401
10-25-2008, 10:20 AM
i did reread it and it still says that the hiccup he got from the amsoil was due to break in where as the hiccups from the stihl oil were due to the oil. maybe he can clarify his post. it is rather confusing to read.

Yes, as "kolawns" said, I was saying they all could of been because of break-in. But it had a hickup about 4 times with the dealer mix and then only once with the Amsoil. The amsoil though, made a noticeable difference in a POS blower I have, so I think the hickup it had with Amsoil in it, was because of break-in. But in all fairness I believe the dealer mix was on High Performance Stihl oil and not the Ultra, which it's supposed to have. The dealer gave me two small bottles of the HP and I already I won't use it in it. I'll never go back to anything else from Amsoil though, it's great stuff.

lawnwizards
10-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Yes, as "kolawns" said, I was saying they all could of been because of break-in. But it had a hickup about 4 times with the dealer mix and then only once with the Amsoil. The amsoil though, made a noticeable difference in a POS blower I have, so I think the hickup it had with Amsoil in it, was because of break-in. But in all fairness I believe the dealer mix was on High Performance Stihl oil and not the Ultra, which it's supposed to have. The dealer gave me two small bottles of the HP and I already I won't use it in it. I'll never go back to anything else from Amsoil though, it's great stuff.

thanks for the clarification. :waving:

Pennington Lawncare
10-25-2008, 07:49 PM
I don't know if this was a recommended thing done by the dealer you bought the blower from but, it's often recommended that the first tank of fuel run through a new 2 stroke engine has a higher ratio of oil. This extra oil is supposed to give the new engine an added level of protection but, it can also try to foul a spark plug. That may have been what was going on but, it was happening before the premix with Amsoil was added. If the hiccuping persists I'd change the spark plug.

One tidbit, I'd use the spark plug model and brand that the manufacturer recommends. I recently had a go around with my local Ace Hardware who sells Echo and Stihl.. They only have Champion spark plugs and almost all Echo trimmers use the same NGK spark plug and the Champion plug they had was 1 heat range too high but, the explained that they use that hotter Champion plug in all the Echo trimmers they service.. Not reassuring so I had Advance Auto Parts order me 3 of the correct NGK plugs which came in the next day. Echo puts a 5 year warranty on a trimmer and the dealer can't even sell the right spark plug. Ridiculous.

sweetz
10-25-2008, 08:07 PM
I recently had a go around with my local Ace Hardware who sells Echo and Stihl.. They only have Champion spark plugs and almost all Echo trimmers use the same NGK spark plug and the Champion plug they had was 1 heat range too high but, the explained that they use that hotter Champion plug in all the Echo trimmers they service.. Not reassuring so I had Advance Auto Parts order me 3 of the correct NGK plugs which came in the next day. Echo puts a 5 year warranty on a trimmer and the dealer can't even sell the right spark plug. Ridiculous.

Ace Hardware.....dealer? OOOOKEEEEEDOKEY!

Most people use their trimmers at maybe 1/2 throttle. Hence the reasoning for hotter plugs.

sweetz
10-25-2008, 08:35 PM
it's often recommended that the first tank of fuel run through a new 2 stroke engine has a higher ratio of oil. This extra oil is supposed to give the new engine an added level of protection but, it can also try to foul a spark plug.

Sorry if it seems like I'm picking on you, but I'm not. Amsoil DOES have more protection in it (than dino oil) at the lower ratios of mix.

WH401
10-25-2008, 10:53 PM
thanks for the clarification. :waving:

Yep, no problem, anytime

WH401
10-25-2008, 10:54 PM
I don't know if this was a recommended thing done by the dealer you bought the blower from but, it's often recommended that the first tank of fuel run through a new 2 stroke engine has a higher ratio of oil. This extra oil is supposed to give the new engine an added level of protection but, it can also try to foul a spark plug. That may have been what was going on but, it was happening before the premix with Amsoil was added. If the hiccuping persists I'd change the spark plug.

One tidbit, I'd use the spark plug model and brand that the manufacturer recommends. I recently had a go around with my local Ace Hardware who sells Echo and Stihl.. They only have Champion spark plugs and almost all Echo trimmers use the same NGK spark plug and the Champion plug they had was 1 heat range too high but, the explained that they use that hotter Champion plug in all the Echo trimmers they service.. Not reassuring so I had Advance Auto Parts order me 3 of the correct NGK plugs which came in the next day. Echo puts a 5 year warranty on a trimmer and the dealer can't even sell the right spark plug. Ridiculous.

It's like my dealer not giving me the Ultra oil, (even though I don't think they even stocked it nor would I be using it anyway), when it's known that the original problems of the BR600 were partly because of the HP oil.

WH401
10-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Sorry if it seems like I'm picking on you, but I'm not. Amsoil DOES have more protection in it (than dino oil) at the lower ratios of mix.

I agree with you on that one, the Amsoil would give more protection with better performance than a higher ratio of dino.

sweetz
10-25-2008, 11:08 PM
I agree with you on that one, the Amsoil would give more protection with better performance than a higher ratio of dino.

I run Amsoil Saber @ 100:1 in ALL of my handhelds. They ALL run better than they ever have before! I will NEVER go back to dino oil for anything.

Pennington Lawncare
10-25-2008, 11:35 PM

NP, I was referring to the first tank of gas that was provided by the dealer. It may have had a higher oil to gas ratio than one would want to use on a normal basis. Thus it may have tried to foul out the spark plug and cause the hiccup.

I've been using Amsoil in jetskis since 97 or so and have paid the $20 a few years to become a preferred customer. The discount was definitely worth it when I was buying 4 gallon cases at a time. I haven't been riding jetskis very much since I started mowing so I let my preferred customer account expire. Luckily, I found these forums and saw Hoyt's post about signing up people for a commercial account. So I'm a believer in the Amsoil products. I've used their small engine oil in the 21 hp Kawasaki on my Cub after the first oil change and I just bought 2 quarts of the Saber 100:1 oil. The only thing that I have a little reservation over is using 100:1 ratio with a chainsaw. I wouldn't have any reservation about using that ratio of Saber in a trimmer or blower but, they don't have the kind of engine load that a chainsaw does when cutting through a big log. Amsoil is the only oil I would even consider running at that kind of ratio though.

sweetz
10-25-2008, 11:47 PM
NP, I was referring to the first tank of gas that was provided by the dealer. It may have had a higher oil to gas ratio than one would want to use on a normal basis. Thus it may have tried to foul out the spark plug and cause the hiccup.

I've been using Amsoil in jetskis since 97 or so and have paid the $20 a few years to become a preferred customer. The discount was definitely worth it when I was buying 4 gallon cases at a time. I haven't been riding jetskis very much since I started mowing so I let my preferred customer account expire. Luckily, I found these forums and saw Hoyt's post about signing up people for a commercial account. So I'm a believer in the Amsoil products. I've used their small engine oil in the 21 hp Kawasaki on my Cub after the first oil change and I just bought 2 quarts of the Saber 100:1 oil. The only thing that I have a little reservation over is using 100:1 ratio with a chainsaw. I wouldn't have any reservation about using that ratio of Saber in a trimmer or blower but, they don't have the kind of engine load that a chainsaw does when cutting through a big log. Amsoil is the only oil I would even consider running at that kind of ratio though.

Just so you know, at first I had the same reservations as you, probably even more so. But, I took the plunge, I run Amsoil in EVERYTHING, including three chainsaws. I LOVE the stuff, as you can tell!

WH401
10-26-2008, 10:27 AM

I was skeptical at first too, that's why I tried it first on a POS blower at 80:1. I wouldn't have felt bad if I screwed that up, unlike a brand new $500 blower. I had always had problems with it getting it to run wide open. It would usually take about 15 minutes of running it on half choke before I could get it to run wide open. Now with Amsoil its about 10 seconds on half choke and its running flat out. The $20 bucks once a year for a preferred account really does save alot in prices, thats for sure.

Pennington Lawncare
10-26-2008, 10:31 AM
My preferred customer account had just expired a month or 2 before I saw Hoyt posting about signing up people to commercial accounts for free. So I jumped at that chance and ordered 2 quarts of small engine oil and 2 quarst of Saber 100:1. I don't know how busy Hoyt is now after his latest setback but, I'd suggest that you sign up for a commercial account through Hoyt if he's able to do so.

AmsoilPower
10-26-2008, 10:50 AM
My preferred customer account had just expired a month or 2 before I saw Hoyt posting about signing up people to commercial accounts for free. So I jumped at that chance and ordered 2 quarts of small engine oil and 2 quarst of Saber 100:1. I don't know how busy Hoyt is now after his latest setback but, I'd suggest that you sign up for a commercial account through Hoyt if he's able to do so.

I am always taking commercial accounts. But if someone is signed up as a preferred customer, I cannot sign them up until that has expired.