PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried one of those puck style trailer locks

YellowDogSVC
10-24-2008, 12:12 PM
I just tried out one of the puck style "daplug" pintle locks that one of the lawnsite sponsors sells. I have to say it's a really heavy duty lock and would take quite a bit of time to defeat with normal tools. Has anyone else tried these locks?
I have been looking for a lock to help deter someone from hooking up my chipper which I occasionally have to leave on site in rural locations. Up until now, I have been using a gorilla style lock which I now think is flimsy compared to this lock and have not slept well knowing that theft is a big concern out here in boonies. I also wanted something compact that I could keep in my toolbox.
In addition to disabling as many of the controls as possible, I now have what I think is a much better way of protecting the lunette eye from hookup and wanted to share it.

Any thoughts?

Gravel Rat
10-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Like they say locks only keep honest people from stealing it. If somebody wants it bad enough it will be gone. A chipper or compressor etc all it takes is a truck with a hiab or a rollback tow truck the chipper is gone.

Best theft deterent is a high voltage shock that makes people back off if they get a good arc off their hand :laugh:

I noticed in your picture the lunette eye is bolted to the reach of the trailer thats a weak link the 4 bolts come off another ring bolted on off they go with your trailer.

YellowDogSVC
10-24-2008, 03:21 PM
yeah, I noticed that about the bolts but I'm going to weld around it. It's a 12k lb chipper and 11.5' tall so I don't think it will fit too well on a rollback but it's the hookup and take off scenario I am trying to dissuade.

Gravel Rat
10-24-2008, 03:40 PM
You don't really want to weld the bolts all you need is to use is stover nuts you have to take them off with a impact wrench. If the bolts go into a threaded block then locktite.

It is surprising how many theives have cutting torches so nothing is really no match. Many theives have battery powered sawsalls.

A way to lock one of the wheels or two of the wheels is a sure fire way of preventing theft. If it can't roll the only way they are stealing it is with a crane.

YellowDogSVC
10-24-2008, 06:15 PM
You don't really want to weld the bolts all you need is to use is stover nuts you have to take them off with a impact wrench. If the bolts go into a threaded block then locktite.

It is surprising how many theives have cutting torches so nothing is really no match. Many theives have battery powered sawsalls.

A way to lock one of the wheels or two of the wheels is a sure fire way of preventing theft. If it can't roll the only way they are stealing it is with a crane.

i was just going to weld plate to plate along the edges. I haven't found a sawzall that would cut through this lock or my pintle plate. I have an 18 v battery powered and it just aint that strong. sheet metal, yes. Plate and cast, no.

bobcat_ron
10-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Some liquid Nitrogen is what thieves here use, the only defense is un-bolt the hitch off the trailer, and remove the wheels and a GPS system in the trailer frame, but for such a small trailer (like a chipper) it's just best to take it home.
I've left my GN trailer at a job once, and it was out in the open, no tire tracks other than mine were near it, I guess no one but 4 dairy farmers I know of has the same hitch as I do.

CAT powered
10-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Yellowdog: I am in contact with Ken (The owner of the lock company) and he shipped me one free so that I can try defeating it. Right now I've got it on my trailer until winter rolls in and I have time to try to get it off. (without the key)

It seems like a pretty sturdy lock. You can get the higher grade lock or you can get a regular American Lock. The higher grade lock has never been drilled or picked. The collar part is probably 6 or 7 pounds alone since it is solid. I'll have Ken come take a look at this thread. I'm sure he can answer any questions you have.

ken gustafson
10-24-2008, 08:15 PM
In tests that we have had professionals do....12.5 min. with Plasma cutter that is with everything setup ready to go. Takes special setup of Oxy/Acet. to cut through both the puck lock and lunette setup. The mass of metal is to great for normal Oxy/Acet. rigs. The pile of molten metal shall catch almost everything close by.... to catch fire but it was done in 43 min.
Probably the biggest issue was ...the setting in which all of these efforts were tried under. If the trailer was out in the open...someone would notice the tremendous sparks and issues involved. Sledge Hammers were useless along with crow bars. In addition for something like $15 extra the whole unit can be heat treated...we have puck locks that have defied bypassing. What we offer is the best...yet and we continue to upgrade.....the feedback is great. Thanks Ken

Gravel Rat
10-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Anything that can prevent the quick get away with the stolen trailer is the main part. It all depends on how valueable the trailer is or the compressor etc.

If the thief wants the trailer etc bad enough anything can be stolen.

To answer Ken's question I don't see anything that can be improved on the current pintle eye lock. Anything that plugs the hole and is hard to remove without keys is good.

If a theif has a cutting torch they are going to be cutting the hitch off or cutting the bolts and putting another hitch on.

CAT powered
10-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Yes, but I'm going to say that the vast majority of thieves are opportunists that won't be carrying torches and extra hitch rings with them in case they see a chipper with a pintle hitch that has a lock that hey want to steal.

I've stopped several thieves with simple, easy to defeat padlocks over the years. On my OROPS dozers you have a little panel that comes up and covers the gauges/starter button that you just padlock in place. I know someone tried to steal it because it was made out of fiberglass and someone tried to bash through the fiberglass with a rock.

Gravel Rat
10-24-2008, 10:48 PM
When the price of scrap metal was high it didn't matter if it had a lock or not it was gone.

ken gustafson
10-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Now what would be helpful is what do people use that they think is of more help than trailer locks and GPS or Dogs? That would be something worth viewing and very helpful....any thoughts? Ken

Gravel Rat
10-25-2008, 12:19 AM
Some kind of wheel lock or theft deterent that can be locked on the trailer wheel. If the wheels can't turn they aint stealing it.

The price of scrap has dropped so that cuts back on theives stealing iron :laugh:

CAT powered
10-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Keep in mind that any wheel lock would absolutely HAVE to cover everything up so you can't get the wheel off by just unbolting it.

Gravel Rat
10-25-2008, 12:34 AM
If they pull the wheel off the trailer isn't going anywhere if they can't get the theft deterent off the wheel.

If somebody wants it bad enough they will steal it. Safest option is take the trailer home.

DUSTYCEDAR
10-25-2008, 01:09 AM
LOOKS HEAVY DUTY pics of the undeside?

cpel2004
10-25-2008, 01:30 AM
No I havent used them but Im calling this upcoming week. I bought some locks from "The Equipment Lock Company" which Northern Tool sells them. They are the biggest piece of JUNK/POS, there not worth the box that they are shipped in. 400 bucks down the drain. From the pictures they look really sturdy but they are worthless.

cpel2004
10-25-2008, 01:59 AM
No I havent used them but Im calling this upcoming week. I bought some locks from "The Equipment Lock Company" which Northern Tool sells them. They are the biggest piece of JUNK/POS, there not worth the box that they are shipped in. 400 bucks down the drain. From the pictures they look really sturdy but they are worthless.

Uhhh boys I think you guys need to rethink the puck locks

See Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvoXRySNdv4&feature=related

CAT powered
10-25-2008, 05:53 PM
That is a problem with any lock. Ken's locks are very sturdily built and you can get them with a lock in them that has never been picked or drilled by anyone including professional locksmiths.

YellowDogSVC
10-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Uhhh boys I think you guys need to rethink the puck locks

See Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvoXRySNdv4&feature=related

this guy is a lock picker. I don't think it would be so easy at night or in a hurry or in tough location without light. I think that video was setup.

ken gustafson
10-26-2008, 05:24 PM
I sought out the guy that shot the video on YouTube. His name is Bruno. When Bruno did his professional work....I then asked him for his opinion on what would be better. He said...try this brand of lock...I tried to get a hold of those people. They did not respond in a timely manor...so I went on a search. After 3 months of doing many e-mails I ended up with the outfit that owns the company that did not answer and another company that was more than willing to talk. The parent company...ASSA ABloy...owns 70 companies. I now deal with ASSA Lock Company. The Puck Lock I now use is one that I cannot get Bruno to even try to bypass....in fact Bruno will not even return my e-mails because he knows...what I have been trying to say...Difficult is the strongest word I legally can use because of the signed agreement...I signed. In a previous thread Cat Powered mentions the words I "cannot" say. Ken

greenred
10-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Im glad I saw this thread. My dad just had his single axle ATV trailer ripped off a few weeks ago. Right now he has a cheaper hitch lock on the new trailer. I called him and told him about the lock for sale on Kens webpage. He about crapped himself when I told him the price of the high end model with the ASSA lock on it. As I use the trailer all the time I will probably just buy him one as a thank you gift for letting me use it.

I have dual axle 18 foot trailer in storage back in my uncles side lot and it is not easily accessible and big dogs roam the lot. However I may need to move it in the future to a less secure location and may buy one of the locks for myself.

Fatboy Lawncare LLC
10-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Gravel Rat and Cat Power - I have not post much on this page but I felt I could add something to this talk. Early this year I got a wheel lock that does what you are looking for. It is called the Big Stick Once you put the wheel hub on it is easy to use and the wheel can't turn an it locks the lugs inside so you cant take the wheel off. I dont have the web page but found it on a search after I saw it at a boat show in columbus.

Fatboy Lawncare LLC
10-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Keep in mind that any wheel lock would absolutely HAVE to cover everything up so you can't get the wheel off by just unbolting it.
I found the page that I bought The Big Stick. its carrythebigstick.com Hope it helps somone. FB