PDA

View Full Version : Shindy Speed Feed Heads

Weedas_Lawn_Care
10-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Yesterday I was at the GIE Expo (love it) here in Louisville and that was the first time i took a good look at the Shindiawa Speed Feed Heads and I WANT ONE!!!! but my only concern is that i have a Stihl FS90 and I know that they make one that would fit it but would I like it or are they much different in performance and usage ways than the standard Stihl heads i know that there are a lot of guys on here that use them with other trimmers what do you guys think of them and did it take a while to get used to. Thanks for any replys

Turf Dawg
10-24-2008, 06:26 PM
You can do a search on here because they have been discussed many times. To answer your question about fitting the Stihl yes they do. I have speedfeed heads on Echo, Redmax and a Stihl fs90. In my opion they are the best heads out there. They make adapters to fit most every trimmer out there. I think you can order them from one of the lawnsite sponsers Mow Part .com

ed2hess
10-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Good little device but can't peek in to see how much line you got left on spool. The darn tangs are just too strong. The unit did last longer than the conventional Echo head but we went back to those this thing just not worth it.

punt66
10-24-2008, 09:01 PM
I wont use any other head.

shovelracer
10-24-2008, 09:26 PM
By far the best Ive come across. Ive run them for several years and wont run anything else. They last twice as long as the old bump feeds to boot. The reason I switched is cause i got tired of idiots taking apart the bump feeds and losing parts or not putting it together right. Before you know it they have spent 10 minutes fooling around only to have you fix the problem. These things are almost idiot proof. Almost. The only improvement they could make would be to make one that never ever needed restringing and never jammed, only then would it be idiot proof. Somehow I think that might be hard so I'll take these for now.

Turf Dawg
10-25-2008, 01:33 AM
Good little device but can't peek in to see how much line you got left on spool. The darn tangs are just too strong. The unit did last longer than the conventional Echo head but we went back to those this thing just not worth it.

Please do not take this the wrong way, but why do you need to peak inside to see how much line is left. I aways carry line in my backpocket and just stop and reline right fast when I run out. Then when I get back to the trailer I stick more in my pocket.

ricky86
10-25-2008, 01:48 AM
Yesterday I was at the GIE Expo (love it) here in Louisville and that was the first time i took a good look at the Shindiawa Speed Feed Heads and I WANT ONE!!!! but my only concern is that i have a Stihl FS90 and I know that they make one that would fit it but would I like it or are they much different in performance and usage ways than the standard Stihl heads i know that there are a lot of guys on here that use them with other trimmers what do you guys think of them and did it take a while to get used to. Thanks for any replys

Why not just buy a Stihl Autocut head C 25-2? It"s a "easy fill" head and is about $30.00

J & D Greens
10-25-2008, 01:48 AM
I like them, but need to keep line with you to reload (which takes no time at all and is so simple my kid could do it.), it seems to have much better balance than the stock head my echo 210 had.

cjleblanc
10-25-2008, 06:24 AM
I bought a speed feed this season. I precut all my line. Put some in my pocket, saves alot of time at the cemetery. Love it.

punt66
10-25-2008, 06:34 AM
if you guys remove the guard and use a good line like the titanium lines, you wouldnt have to reload for days. I 40' spool for $8 lasts me all season.

ElephantNest
10-25-2008, 07:38 AM
if you guys remove the guard and use a good line like the titanium lines, you wouldnt have to reload for days. I 40' spool for $8 lasts me all season.

LOL

I have employees that go through that much in a month.

lawnboy dan
10-25-2008, 08:49 AM
any one else notice that the shindy speed is heavy? great desighn but adds weight to your trimmer.

shovelracer
10-25-2008, 11:02 AM
How in the world do you get 40' to last a season. We easily use that in 1 day. It depends on what we are trimming but the hard stuff really rips up the line. Ive tried many and currently use stihl green .095. Seems to hold up good, a lot of lines split and fray which makes a less clean cut. I buy 1 giant spool each year and it usually lasts till fall.

Kelly's Landscaping
10-25-2008, 04:28 PM
I resisted trying them for a while but switched 3 years ago we have 8 261s and all have the speed head and we love them. I thought its size would be an issue but no its just one great head and the bottom of it is much thicker then older styles. So the guy I have who loves to have the head touch the ground at all times still gets a season out of one head. I get closer to 2 out of mine heehehe yes we actually have names on them so each person gets their very own trimmer on the crews. Itís a no brainier best head on the market nothing compares.

Jay's Lawncare
10-25-2008, 05:20 PM
any one else notice that the shindy speed is heavy? great desighn but adds weight to your trimmer.

buy the smaller speed feed head, the larger one does add weight but the smaller one is a gem

punt66
10-26-2008, 07:19 AM
How in the world do you get 40' to last a season. We easily use that in 1 day. It depends on what we are trimming but the hard stuff really rips up the line. Ive tried many and currently use stihl green .095. Seems to hold up good, a lot of lines split and fray which makes a less clean cut. I buy 1 giant spool each year and it usually lasts till fall.

try the extreme titanim line. Dont use a guard and the line wont be continuously cut to length. The line is the toughest line i have ever used. I used to go through regular line real fast too. Always had a big spool on the trailer and extra cut pieces in my pocket like most of you. My shindy stock head flew apart and i put the speed feed on to replace it. I also wanted to try better line. So i found this titanium line, took off the guard and rarely had to change my line. People on this site dont seem to believe me, thats ok, just trying to help, your missing out.

Prime Cuts
10-28-2008, 01:32 AM
The speedfeed is the best head we have used.. on any model trimmer

lawnboy dan
10-28-2008, 08:58 AM
yes-i will only buy the smaller size from now on

Dodge Truck
10-28-2008, 02:12 PM
best head i ever got....lol

Woody_1
10-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Just got one for my Echo. It's a bit larger than the stock head, but I think it will be OK.
I had to buy the addapter kit with the threaded insert to fit the Echo. I hope that insert will come off the trimmer threads when the time comes.

I had tried one of the Echo type speed feed, and didn't care much for it. For starters, it was hard to wind up the new string, it wasn't easy to get the string started either. It used a different method to start from the end of the line's instead of pulling it through.

metro36
10-28-2008, 07:16 PM
I love mine. As said before it is almost idiot proof. Saves me a ton of time over restringing a spool head in the middle of a job. Just insert the line, pull though the head wind and go. How much easier could it get. (Dont answer that:laugh:)

D & J Lawn Care
10-28-2008, 08:00 PM
orgean makes the exact model for $20bucks it,s new that fit the stihl, i have A shindi on my fs90 i switched the bolt from the stilh to the shindi, but because the head is bigger then the stihl you'll have to take the guard off or you'll have a short line

Turf Dawg
10-28-2008, 08:04 PM
How much line will the small ones hold? I might have to try one, always looking to cut weight.

S man
10-28-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm sorry but I have to say that I was sold on speedfeed heads for a long time but recently they have been vibrating really bad even with the string correctly put in so I switched back to the redmax pt104+ and haven't had any problems.

lawnboy dan
10-29-2008, 08:57 AM
i can reload an echo type head even faster than the shin speed head. the jury is still out on if the speed head is the king for me

pressley10r
10-29-2008, 09:00 AM
I like echo heads the best, i want to put one on my fs250 (i could spool 3 echo heads in the time it takes to spool a stihl head)