PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Or Echo?

Micheal2008
10-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Im sure this has been asked 1 millions times but just wondering your guys thoughts. We live like 2 mins from a ace hardware that sells echo and ive always been a stihl man myself but did check out there gear and brother end up buying the 755t echo backpack blower at $469.99, Which is cheaper then the stihl br600. Anyways ive been thinking about going with echo myself i tested his unit and liked it alot. And with a cheaper price tag then stihl also closest stihl dealer store is like 25+ miles away in a whole diffrent county.. Just really wondering if ech being alot closer to my house if i should go with them instead of stihl. I think with cheaper prices by $40 dollars off the backpack blowers and it being about 23 miles closer i would end up saving alot of money by going with them in the long run..

Also considering going with echo trimmer as well, ive used the fs90 stihl model and it seem to have pretty good bit of power it self. If i do go with echo what trimmer do you guys prefer? Thanks.

beano
10-24-2008, 06:00 PM
I run all Echo and have had no problems. I would never buy anything else but it all comes down to personal preference and dealer support. Every guy on here will tell you what they like and why its the best but its personal preference. Either choice will be good just make sure you have a dealer that will help you if you need something in a pinch.

Micheal2008
10-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Well the guys at ace When we bought his seem to have really good customer service they didnt have box for his unit and we wasnt going to buy, but they gave us free landscaping glose value at $18 a peaice and free echo tshirts just cause it was display unit and didnt have the box, but came with all manuals and warranty information and the free bottle of echo mixing oil.. Its just alot closer and be nice to know that i dont have to drive to whole new county to pick up anything or get a part.. And i know alot of guys run them on here and i was ifey at first but when i tryied his own and used it seem to be just as great as the sthil br600 if not better.. and air filter is placed right on top for easy to change access takes like 3 seconds lol...

KrayzKajun
10-24-2008, 06:08 PM
ive always ran echo. i love my SRM-210 trimmers. im only 5'7" so most trimmers are too long for me! LOL

Micheal2008
10-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Yeah i think i will go echo also. I was impressed with his blower, and yes i have used a br600 and thats what i was going to get till i used his and started looking more into them..

Also thinking going with eithier 210 or 230 trimmer how is the power in them? I mean i dont plan on cutting down 3 foot high grass with any of them but for regular use how do they work?

milike
10-24-2008, 06:11 PM
stihl...has been it..

beano
10-24-2008, 06:14 PM
I run all SRM 210's and love them. Light weight and reliable. Always been easy to start, good price and decent power for how light they are. As long as you dont plan on brush cutting with them, they should work fine. I have the 755 and its a beast, kind of heavy but very powerful and easy starting.

Micheal2008
10-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Well im hoping we dont get yards people havent mowed in a year lol..

stevenf
10-24-2008, 06:31 PM
I have both the SRM-210 and 230. The 230 is nice to have for a little extra power but neither the 210 nor 230 do good with thoughs abandoned property lawns.
WIth .95 trimmer line, I prefer my 210 over the 230 because of weight. There is a noticable difference between the two and the 230 starts to hurt my arm while edging long distances. The 210 is a feather!

huntw11871
10-24-2008, 06:49 PM
If you have a Kawasaki dealer near by I would go with them. I have not found anything that has the weight and power like them.

mowerbrad
10-24-2008, 07:17 PM
I have used stihl for the past 8 years and no problems yet. I was actually going to start buying echo equipment when I bought my newest trimmer in the spring, but when I went to the dealership to buy them the dealer told me that stihl would be the better choice. He said that they try to get all the commercial guys to buy stihl because through their experience stihl was a better commercial trimmer. They usually only try to sell the echo's to their residential customers because they are usually easier to start than the stihl's.

Micheal2008
10-24-2008, 07:21 PM
I have used stihl for the past 8 years and no problems yet. I was actually going to start buying echo equipment when I bought my newest trimmer in the spring, but when I went to the dealership to buy them the dealer told me that stihl would be the better choice. He said that they try to get all the commercial guys to buy stihl because through their experience stihl was a better commercial trimmer. They usually only try to sell the echo's to their residential customers because they are usually easier to start than the stihl's.

Sounds like a very bad salesman lol.. Seems echo has been working great for plenty of landscapers here? Maybe that guy was about to quit his job or something :laugh:

mowerbrad
10-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Sounds like a very bad salesman lol.. Seems echo has been working great for plenty of landscapers here? Maybe that guy was about to quit his job or something :laugh:

This was coming from a dealer that sold both stihl and echo.

yard_smart
10-24-2008, 07:29 PM
go with the dealer that is the closest

Micheal2008
10-24-2008, 07:33 PM
go with the dealer that is the closest

Yeah thats what i was thinking.. Thanks

scagdude
10-25-2008, 02:19 AM
my dealer sells both stihl and echo but i use stihl because my dealer recommends it and said he has had less complaints/mechanical issues with stihl. but you shoul go with personal preference as well as dealer support. both are great commercial units so you can't you wrong with either one.

Happy Frog
10-25-2008, 05:24 AM
I had Echo of Stihl being better but Echo is Stihl the best...

Micheal2008
10-25-2008, 05:31 AM
I had Echo of Stihl being better but Echo is Stihl the best...

Shouldnt it be? (I heard a echo of stihl being better, But echo is stihl the best!)

George Mason
10-25-2008, 11:41 AM
I prefer Stihl, but I have an Echo blower that's about ten years old and I can't say don't buy one. At the end of the day they are all good quality products for the most part. It sounds like you have a number of good reasons to Echo, I can say my Echo blower is of high quality - performance and dependability.

Happy Frog
10-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Shouldnt it be? (I heard a echo of stihl being better, But echo is stihl the best!)

Yes, thanks for the correcting my early morning brain fart.

LALawnboy
10-26-2008, 02:58 AM
I've got to give another vote for Echo. I recently bought a Stihl FS 80 and BG 85 handheld. The blower was great, but the trimmer was a PITA to start. I've always used Echo and only decided to try the Stihl after my dealer (who happens to sell both brands) recommended the Stihl. Luckily, I was able to sell both, even though I took a loss. I don't think you can go wrong with either brands, I just jumped the gun and purchased them not thinking about dealer support (which was the main reason for me selling them). I've recently picked up a new Echo SRM-265 and much happier with it as well as with the local Echo dealer support.

George Mason
10-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Said once, but worth noting with the start up comment. This is just reenforcing what so many have said about the quality of both, but my Echo is about ten years old and MAYBE takes two pulls to start in cold and first pull warm. The Stihl FS90 I've only had since Spring, but I doubt I've ever pulled it twice to start it. I have the edger attachment, it does a fine job and I only use it for new edges - Mr. Edgit is my regular edger.

Lazer_Z
10-26-2008, 11:46 AM
I switched from Echo over to Stihl and will never regret the switch. My Stihl equipment has treated me great and so has my Stihl dealer.

pressley10r
10-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Dont get me wrong I like Echo stuff, all my handhelds are echo, but having said that, try to get (if your dealer still has some) the older grey echo trimmers, I do NOT like the new orange ones at all, and get AT LEAST like a 260 or 261 if not larger

ed2hess
10-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Dont get me wrong I like Echo stuff, all my handhelds are echo, but having said that, try to get (if your dealer still has some) the older grey echo trimmers, I do NOT like the new orange ones at all, and get AT LEAST like a 260 or 261 if not larger

The only thing I don't like about the orange ones is the weight....anything else I missed?

STIHL GUY
10-26-2008, 08:35 PM
i would go with the one with the best dealer support

pressley10r
10-26-2008, 09:38 PM
The only thing I don't like about the orange ones is the weight....anything else I missed?

IMHO, yes, in my real world experience they are down on power, ie the 265t vs 261t as well as what... 2 lbs heavier, harder to start, reluctant to warm up; not that any of this is Echo's fault, its the stringent EPA regulations, unfortunately other brands seem to have been able to deal with these regulations better than Echo.

jameson
10-26-2008, 10:35 PM
I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, but I replaced an aging Echo SRM-260S earlier this season with the new 280S, and the 280 is a veritable monster of a machine.

And to echo (pun intended) Mr. ed2hess, agreed - the extra pounds begin to add up toward the end of the day.

zeroturner
10-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Every single piece of Echo equipment I have owned has always performed great for me. I have tried other brands over the years, but I always go back to Echo.

Turf Dawg
10-27-2008, 09:02 AM
I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, but I replaced an aging Echo SRM-260S earlier this season with the new 280S, and the 280 is a veritable monster of a machine.

And to echo (pun intended) Mr. ed2hess, agreed - the extra pounds begin to add up toward the end of the day.

I will have to agree with the 280s being a monster. I had to buy one when I tried it. I will have to say this is the smoooothest runing trimmer I have bought in awhile. I put an edgit on mine and it seems to have balanced the weight better. I cannot bash Stihl though, because I have not had any trouble with my fs90 trimmers.