PDA

View Full Version : Scag Blades

jsteveharris
12-25-1999, 02:00 PM
I have seen recent post about using a combination of high lift and regular blades together. I have a scag ultimate 48 hydro with the floating deck. What would be the best combination for bagging and mulching?<p>----------<br>Steve Harris<br>From The Ground Up Landscaping

geogunn
12-25-1999, 08:33 PM
jsteve--I just tried what you are asking about yesterday. two blades per spindle on a lesco 48. I was amazed at the results in mulching heavy leaves. as previously discussed, couple of passes and the leaves were mulched down into the grass. I did double gator blades. can't wait to try it out on heavy grass. won't be long! the days are getting longer and I'd say the spring garden equipment is being stocked in wal-mart as we speak! good luck and happy Y2K!<p>GEO

Eric ELM
12-25-1999, 08:57 PM
Steve, The higher the lift of a blade, the more power it takes to spin the blades. What Geo used, double Gators, will take the least amount of power to spin. Double high lifts would take the most power to spin, so any thing in between will work. I use a high lift and a gator combination on my Dixie Choppers all season long.<p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html

SLSNursery
12-26-1999, 06:59 AM
In the old forum, I mentioned that we use regular lift on the left and center spindles, with a high lift on the discharge side. This works to pack the bags or prevent clumps. I don't think it has too much effect on mulching though. I have also noticed over the years that different grades of blades are available. Scag OEM blades are usually pretty heavy, while some aftermarket brands are cheaper but also lighter, and do NOT last as long. <p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply<br>http://members.aol.com/scagrider

lawncare3
12-22-2002, 01:33 AM
?

TaylorLawn
12-22-2002, 07:22 AM
J. Steve,

I started a thread similar to this call "muclhing with SCAG Turf Tiger" Check that one out too, there are some good pro's and cons, Im going to try it next week, Ill let you know how it turns out...Eric