PDA

View Full Version : Lost my day job today.........

AmsoilPower
10-24-2008, 10:43 PM
I debated on whether I should even post this, but I thought it may give some release. I was released from my day job today at fifteen minutes till time to go home and enjoy my 1st weekend off in a month. I was employed there for 9.75 years and worked 50+ hours per week forever and came away learning alot over the years. The economy has taken a drastic toll on the business and I was one of the highest paid. Excuses were given, but the boss is trimming the "higher ups" therefore the knowledge too.

I say this to inform everyone of this............I will remain a sponsor here for as long as I can and continue to bore you with my info on Amsoil. My day job was our main source of income by far, so right now I don't know what I am going to do. I know I have promised some 2-cycle samples to many of you from my last give-away. But for right now those are on hold. I will probably send them out 1 or 2 at a time, so please be patient. I am not looking for any sympathy here, I just wanted everyone to know where I stand as a sponsor here and regarding the samples.

Maybe I should start a lawn-care company:rolleyes:!!!!!!!

Backhoe Man
10-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Hate to hear that. Everything will work out. BH///////

lawnwizards
10-24-2008, 10:53 PM
it was probably lack of productivity on your part for posting too much on here. either that, or too many complaints from people on here. pick your poison hoyt. anyway, goodluck with your future endeavors.

mississippiturf
10-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Hate to hear the news. We are a blessed nation and will bounce back from the current situation. So will you.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-24-2008, 10:56 PM
I debated on whether I should even post this, but I thought it may give some release. I was released from my day job today at fifteen minutes till time to go home and enjoy my 1st weekend off in a month. I was employed there for 9.75 years and worked 50+ hours per week forever and came away learning alot over the years. The economy has taken a drastic toll on the business and I was one of the highest paid. Excuses were given, but the boss is trimming the "higher ups" therefore the knowledge too.

I say this to inform everyone of this............I will remain a sponsor here for as long as I can and continue to bore you with my info on Amsoil. My day job was our main source of income by far, so right now I don't know what I am going to do. I know I have promised some 2-cycle samples to many of you from my last give-away. But for right now those are on hold. I will probably send them out 1 or 2 at a time, so please be patient. I am not looking for any sympathy here, I just wanted everyone to know where I stand as a sponsor here and regarding the samples.

Lawn company! There ya go

BTW sorry about your "loss"

meets1
10-24-2008, 11:33 PM
I agree - who would of thought about a lawn care company!!

hate to here of your news though - hope everything works out for ya in the end.

topsites
10-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Before I tell you I am sorry to hear about this, I am going to tell you why.

I am sorry because you, just like everyone else in the corporate world, has been
led to believe that string of lies they feed to every single employee every single
day of their lives... The contents vary, but basically it boils down to canned BS
that translates to buttering you up because that makes you work VERY VERY hard
as you are told there is a BIG reward at the end and so on...

There was a lot of other stuff I was saying but I edited it all out, because...

For the fact that you are finding this out for yourself,
for that I am very sorry.

Peace

J&R Landscaping
10-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Sorry to hear about that! Good luck with your future endeavors.

Pennington Lawncare
10-25-2008, 12:11 AM
You can't keep a good man down and I'm sure you'll find something probably better than what you had. Good luck and may GOD Bless you Hoyt.

Wittapp
10-25-2008, 03:14 AM
Hang in there. I am sure it will all work out for the best.
Dave in Dayton

J & D Greens
10-25-2008, 03:19 AM
Sorry to hear about this, that it part of the reason I am working my way into the lawn care business. I am moving my cheese because over the past ten years my currant employer has made it clear that the only thing that matters is how much profit they can make, the bottom line is even if you are the best employee you are of no value to them if they don't make enough. And the sad thing is they have post history profit margins since the last contract. What a joke.

sweetz
10-25-2008, 03:23 AM
Sorry to hear that Hoyt. Times are getting tough everywhere & I do believe that it's gonna get worse before it gets better. A lawn care company might not be a bad idea. Some of the people on here and other sites have proven that you can be a nimrod and still be very successful in this industry (not saying that you are). Give it a shot, what have you really got to lose. Good luck my friend.

sweetz
10-25-2008, 03:30 AM
I know I have promised some 2-cycle samples to many of you from my last give-away. But for right now those are on hold. I will probably send them out 1 or 2 at a time, so please be patient. I am not looking for any sympathy here, I just wanted everyone to know where I stand as a sponsor here and regarding the samples.

If I was you, I wouldn't worry about giving away anymore free samples unless Amsoil is reimbursing you for these, which I highly doubt that they are. Worry about your family. Apologize, do whatever makes you feel better, but I think I speak for most all of us when I say that we would totally understand.

Richard Martin
10-25-2008, 05:23 AM
Stick in there Hoyt. I'm sure if your employer could have kept you they would have. It can be a tough world sometimes.

CustomKare
10-25-2008, 10:34 AM
First of all sorry for your loss.....The bi-product of this false corporate economy is that for years to come it will resinate poor performance and no loyalty to companies from thier employees. Rightfully so. Im sure you gave your 50 hour dedication perhaps the next job you will be more cautious going forward with a new employer. This played out over and over is a great thing believe it or not. People will get back at the corporate giants with poor performance and encourage a flood of entrepenuers that will bring back the small companies again. It will be painful but I believe the game clock needs to be re-set. In time the folks that sold us down the drain by outsourcing and lining thier pockets I believe the "We're gonna take it back" attitude will provail from the "worker" and things will get better. Good luck.....be one of the leaders and find what you like to do and start small and grow a business. I won't be to far behind!

gwtx2
10-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Sorry to hear that. Everything happens for a reason. It will work out better than before if you remain positive.

corey4671
10-25-2008, 01:09 PM
let this situation be the driving force that makes you get up every morning with a spring in your step to show your former employeer that they in fact were the one that lost out. It's time to be what you wanted to be when you grew up! I've made it my mission to prove to myself that leaving my job of 9.5 years was the best decision I ever made. True I'm concerned with how I'll get through the winter, but I have NO intention of going back into the corporate workplace working for the man if I can avoid it! You WILL come though this smelling like a rose.

traman
10-25-2008, 01:34 PM
pack up the car with amsoil and hit the flee market,car shows etc.set up web site ,get on e bay.become a professional jobber and tell the man to stick it.

Green Finger
10-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Hey Brother I'll be praying for you and the others who are going through.

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not to your own understanding but in all thy ways acknowledge the Lord and He will direct your paths...Proverbs

Flyers and a mower for next year
check with UPS it's going into the peak seasons
Check with the school system bus driver

Stay strong

Happy Frog
10-25-2008, 04:27 PM
I am very sorry to hear that Hoyt, that really sucks.
I wish you the best and hope you'll find a new position soon.

DUSTYCEDAR
10-25-2008, 04:34 PM
GOOD LUCK
can you hold a red flag and watch the traffic go by"THE BOSS"

Tharrell
10-25-2008, 05:06 PM
What was your job?

AmsoilPower
10-25-2008, 05:38 PM
What was your job?

Parts Manager for a large dealership. He had Stihl, Toro, Kubota, Honda, Wright, Landpride,ASV and a bunch of others.

Thanks everyone for the support and kind comments.

coolluv
10-25-2008, 05:52 PM

I feel your pain. I was let go on Friday at 10:00am. The owner of the company that I worked for told me he had no choice. I have been in the construction industry for over 20 years. The previous company I worked for I was with for 8 years. They where headed out of business and I saw the writing on the wall and quit before they let me go.

I started worked for this company the next week and never missed a beat. I have only been with them for 8 months and the last few months I saw the same situation playing it self out again. I was surprised in a way, but I really knew it was coming. The problem is the construction work is drying up everywhere. I have been looking for another job for a while, knowing that the company I was with was on shaky ground. But there are no construction jobs. Most companies are barley hanging on.

I know its not limited to construction. I was pretty down yesterday and I trust the lord has a reason for what is going on. Have faith brother. I have been a part time LCO for three seasons. I have been hesitant about going full time because I always had a good job with all the benefits. A Company truck and a great salary is hard to walk away from. Maybe this is the kick in the A$$ I needed. I'm going full time this spring and see what happens. All this means is now I have to get serious and plan my attack for the next year. I know it helps to talk about it. You have to get it off your chest. I'm nervous about the future and I'm sure you are too. Its only natural. Keep a positive attitude and don't let it get you down.

We both will be Ok.

Good Luck and God Bless.

Dave...

greenred
10-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Parts Manager for a large dealership. He had Stihl, Toro, Kubota, Honda, Wright, Landpride,ASV and a bunch of others.

We have probably met several times over the years as I have done a bit of business with that dealership. I am sorry to hear of your circumstances. I hope you land on your feet.

AmsoilPower
10-25-2008, 10:04 PM
We have probably met several times over the years as I have done a bit of business with that dealership. I am sorry to hear of your circumstances. I hope you land on your feet.

What is your name?

DLAWNS
10-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Hey man, Sorry to hear that. You seem like a pretty motivated guy, and I'm sure you will land on your feet. Good luck with everything.

nosparkplugs
10-25-2008, 10:17 PM
It's always "nerve racking" when your let go unexpectedly; however I would think their is always signs?. Now whether a person reacts those job indicators or "red flags" varies. I personally would not ride the ship to the bottom, and get out before it sunk or, I was let go. Some are not so lucky and must work regardless of job environment, that's whats sickening!! Don't feel bad their are going to be more folks loosing their jobs before this economy pulls up.

Sorry for your income loss

puppypaws
10-27-2008, 11:34 PM

I'm sorry for your loss but believe me it is going to get worse and there will be a great deal more jobs lost before the summer of next year. The recession is already formed and a depression is not out of reason.

sweetz
10-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Oh I think we are going to go through a depression. I'm not wishing for it, but I do believe it's gonna happen.

RHill
10-28-2008, 12:56 AM
Sorry to hear about your job loss, It is going to get worse before it gets better. I am afraid the lcos are going to hurt as well. When people start to cut back, services such as ours sometimes are the first places they look. Spend more time with your amsoil business.

mowranger
10-28-2008, 09:54 AM
MAN, that is the greatest news you could have got all year, crap maybe in your entire life! Now you have the time to get your plan together and make something for yourself. Just do not fall back into the work for someone else again! This in the US of A baby the hot bed for do it yourselfers! Roll your selves up you have some work to do for yourself!

Oh, just wanted to tell you I have been there and done the whole lost your job thing with a kid on the way in the middle of it! Worked for a small company named Wrangler that ended in Dec 1995.

No kidding you can do it! Good luck!

All_Toro_4ME
10-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Sorry to hear that Hoyt. Sometimes theres some good articles on msn money etc that discuss how to react/cope when you've lost your job. They bring peace to you to read. Its no easy feat to get through it. Just focus each day and treat the job hunt as though you're still employed, looking for the next position full time.

AmsoilPower
10-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Well......I found out today that my former employer from where I lost my job from (a OPE dealership...not Amsoil) less than a week ago, will offically close Oct. 31st at 5:00 pm. This in no way brings me satisfaction as this now affects many more families than just mine. I was there for a long time and consider everyone a part of my family. I guess I was just given a week head start for job hunting purposes. If anyone thinks they are safe from this economic situation, I suggest you don't wake up. Keep :sleeping: for a while longer.

newz7151
10-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Well......I found out today that my former employer from where I lost my job from (a OPE dealership...not Amsoil) less than a week ago, will offically close Oct. 31st at 5:00 pm. This in no way brings me satisfaction as this now affects many more families than just mine. I was there for a long time and consider everyone a part of my family. I guess I was just given a week head start for job hunting purposes. If anyone thinks they are safe from this economic situation, I suggest you don't wake up. Keep :sleeping: for a while longer.

can you rent a portion fo the building and run your mower parts store from there?

AmsoilPower
10-29-2008, 11:52 PM
can you rent a portion fo the building and run your mower parts store from there?

Nope. Wouldn't be interested in the building anyways. Too much $$$$

Pennington Lawncare
10-30-2008, 12:07 AM
So the entire dealership that sells so many brands of mowers is going completely out of business? Any competing dealers nearby? This might turn out to be an opportunity for you or someone in your area to pick up a dealership for one of the top brands. What's going to become of the stock of mowers and other equipment?

puppypaws
10-30-2008, 12:21 AM

Nothing is guaranteed in today's economic situation. There are jobs being lost as I am typing this.

Maybe Barrack can make things a little more tolerable, I don't believe anyone can take us entirely away from this faltering economy without many years of hard work.

AmsoilPower
10-30-2008, 12:25 AM
So the entire dealership that sells so many brands of mowers is going completely out of business? Any competing dealers nearby? This might turn out to be an opportunity for you or someone in your area to pick up a dealership for one of the top brands. What's going to become of the stock of mowers and other equipment?

There are a couple dealers in town but nowhere near half the size of this place. Trust me, my head is:walking: with all kinds of thoughts:rolleyes:

greenred
10-30-2008, 02:54 AM

Wow they are closing shop? Damn Im sorry to hear that. The Springfield Area is going to lose a hell of a local dealership. Im also sorry for the employees.
I wonder who if anyone will pick up Toro, Scag, and Wright in this area.

PROCUT1
10-30-2008, 03:12 AM
Sorry to hear....Its bad all over....It will get better.....

Now we just need FFGW or one of them guys to explain to you how you should have planned your life better or worked harder....

mngrassguy
10-30-2008, 03:25 AM

Took the words right out of my mouth. Maybe it's time to become "the man". Good luck Hoyt and God bless.

Oasis-Outdoor
10-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Amsoil,

Sorry to hear about your job loss. I have gone through the same thing with a Fire Dept., where I worked full time. In my case, the "chief" didn't have the guts to fire me in person. He let the whole dept. know by our alpha pagers, which are used to send out administrative messages.
Anyhow, believe me you will get through this. It is hard to keep a good man down, and you sound like a hard worker. Something good will come your way! Best Wishes!