PDA

View Full Version : Safety and Security - Statistics and News

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Have you run into any data, statistics, or news items that involve the use of outdoor lighting to improve the safety and security of property?

If you have, or if you know of some sources for this info, please share them here.

Have a great day.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-25-2008, 03:25 PM
I seem to recall seeing a video from about 8 to 10 years ago that showed the effectiveness of low level, multi-point lighting VS soffit mounted flood lights. In the video an "intruder" was walking around the perimeter of the home. In the example with the outdoor lighting system, the intruder's motion was clearly visible, in the example with the glare bombs, the visibility of the intruder was hampered by deep shadows and glare.

Anyone know where the source of this video might be?

Have a great day.

worx
10-25-2008, 04:24 PM
I am posting comments on the other thread you started that might should be on this one?:hammerhead:

worx
10-25-2008, 05:06 PM
I did find this article:

NightLightingFX
10-25-2008, 06:30 PM
FYI, This won't help you in your search for documented info but maybe you might find it interesting. I have some unofficial stats that I have just recently been promoting in my presentations and on my website. Unique had featured a commercial project I did last Oct in thier news letter. In doing this article I found out that this Hospital that I did outdoor lighitng for - Once the lighting system was in place their vandelizm issues were extinquished. You can read the article on my website in my "Featured Work" page. Also I just put a security quote on my home page in my "Security & Safety" thumnail pic. www.nightlightingfx.com
~Ned

Lite4
10-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Ned,
Thanks for that. You know I hadn't even considered a vandalism deterence. We have alot of that that happens here with rival gangs leaving their tags on signs, fences and buildings. It costs a lot of money sometimes to keep removing the graffiti.
James, instead of looking for a video online perhaps we should just make our own. That way we can demonstrate all of the variables necessary for the true data on how visible an intruder is under different lighting levels and types. I could do this and release a story to the local news media for a TV news story. That would be some good publicity. Better yet, try to get it to a national media outlet like 60 minutes or one of the major morning shows. That could help the industry nationwide. Could also be a good first step towards awareness and credibility to insurers.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-28-2008, 12:19 AM
The video was produced by Nightscaping and they are going to send me a copy of it. I will post it here for all to see.

Great ideas and enthusiasm Tim... I am counting on some more joining us and working together to develop this idea further. If I can get some "free time" soon I will work on a flow chart of sorts. What needs to be done, what information exists, areas of research, etc etc. Fun winter work!

Lite4
10-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Let me know how I can help.

Mike M
10-29-2008, 06:19 AM
I was exchanging biz cards at a chamber event with a security company guy, who told me he recommends lights all the time to his customers.

These guys already understand the value of lighting systems. I've thought about joint advertising.

"Don't be left in the dark" call for a professional consultation...

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Messaging your market and clients on the benefits of outdoor lighting: Beauty, Safety, Security is a pretty good idea Mike. Years ago I ran a series of ads, one after the other. Each ad had the same format but dealt with a different benefit of lighting. My thinking was this would keep the ads simple and appeal to different segments of the market.

That being said... Mike, would you be willing to support this 'movement' by joining a committee to do the work? Are you a member of the AOLP?

Have a great day.

worx
10-29-2008, 08:09 AM
I like the idea of forming some type of "public awareness and research committee" for the advancement of outdoor/landscape lighting. I would imagine most successful organizations have something like this in place. We should determine our best avenues of networking and reaching the uninformed. If we don't make it happen,.....it won't.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-29-2008, 08:22 AM
I agree with you Steve. This is exactly the type of thing that the AOLP should be involved in. Now, we have to support it... with not only our minds and our mouths, but with our feet.

The AOLP is an association directed and managed by volunteer members. So if we want "them" to form committees and work on our behalf, we need to stand up, get involved and join those committees.

I am willing to be involved in this manner, who else here would join me?

Have a great day.

worx
10-29-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm in....my family, my business, and my future depend on it!:walking: