PDA

View Full Version : Building a mower!

MikeKle
10-25-2008, 12:59 AM
I have finally found a use for my old Gravely promaster 30H outfront,I am going to build something I can actually get some use out of. I recently found a VERY cheap source for hydraulic parts(surpluscenter.com) and I decided to build either a VERY large walkbehind with a 30hp diesel and 72" deck,also with 23" tires!(walkbehinds are more versatile than a rider in my opinion).Or a sort of cross between a tractor and an ATV,again using the 30hp diesel, and 4 wheel motors,(4WD), and a PTO, all to be mounted on a heavily modified Big bear ATV frame. I figure I could use this for a number of things plus have a little fun with it! Most of the parts are coming from the outfront Gravely. The hydraulic pump I am going to use will allow it to reach 40mph. top speed! Anyone ever tried anything like this? I have a friend who is an expert on hydraulics helping me, and I am a pretty good fabricator and welder so it should turn out pretty cool!. Suggestions and comments are welcome.

JMiller08
10-25-2008, 01:04 AM
Sounds like an accident waiting to happen lol. Have fun man and lets see some pics!!!

DUSTYCEDAR
10-25-2008, 01:06 AM
Post some pics

gravedigger5
10-25-2008, 02:24 AM
I was thinking the walkbehind thing the other day. I recently bought a ferris 61 wb and the thing has been awesome. was thinking that a 72" wb would be even better on some of the big hills I do. Thought if I could pick up a deck some where and a wb chassis. hang the deck under it and spread the frame/wheel motors out to keep from scalping. Got a guy about 20 minutes away that deals in a lot of used commercial equipment. I can see a winter project brewing.:drinkup:

Tinkerer
10-25-2008, 02:43 AM
Have fun, but don't tell your insurance company.

Tharrell
10-25-2008, 11:18 PM
I bet you have a motorized barstool in your garage! ha ha ha

traman
10-25-2008, 11:50 PM
might look like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlfo4rQPHi0&feature=related

STIHL GUY
10-25-2008, 11:52 PM
sounds like a fun project. make sure you take lots of pictures