PDA

View Full Version : My Business Plan For 09'

Kennedy Landscaping
10-25-2008, 12:33 AM
Well guys I know it isn't perfect but it is alot better than I had before I believe. The main reason for doing this is was to make my parents work with me more I guess you could say. They always seem to be against everything, but this will hopefully help out alot.
Kennedy Landscaping &Maintenance Business Plan For 2009 Season

What services will my business offer?
Landscape Installation/Maintenance
Lawn Renovation/Maintenance
Mowing/Trimming/Edging/Blowing
Spring Clean Ups
Fall Clean Ups
Bush/Hedge Trimming
Snow Removal

How long will this last?
I plan to remain in this business at least for the remainder of high school and then go from there.

How will I be competitive in the market?
I will offer competitive pricing and top quality service

What challenges will I face?
I will have limited hours of the day to work.
I plan to grow my business as I am able and feel comfortable doing so.

Financial
What are main things that will need to be budgeted for?
Equipment Repairs/Maintenance
Equipment Rentals
Fuel

How long will it be until I begin to make a profit?
This year

What will be my operating expenses?
Fuel=$200.00/month
Maintenance=$100.00/month
Expansion as able

How will I make my business succeed?
I will give each customer personal attention to specific needs
Every phone call will be returned before the days end
Every issue or concern will be addressed promptly

What is important to my business?
Providing top quality service every time
Providing a professional image at all times
Keeping all equipment maintained and in top running condition

What do my customers want?
A top quality job at a competitive price
Someone who shows up on time
Someone who is both professional and dedicated

Equipment that is already available
46” Husqvarna Tractor Mower
36” Gravely Walk Behind Mower
22” Toro Push Mower
21” Toro Push Mower
19” Cub-Cadet Push Mower
Husqvarna Trimmer
Ryobi Trimmer
Poulan Pro Blower
Craftsman Blower
Ryobi Tiller
Misc. Hand Tools

What equipment purchases do I plan to make?
Back Pack Blower= $3-500
14’ Equipment Trailer=$800-1,000
Landscape Box For Trailer=$1-200
Quality Hand Tools=*****

Equipment improvements
Truck Windows Tinted Over Winter=$150-200
Back Window Of Truck Lettered=****

Where will I store my equipment?
I will store my things in the garage for the time being.
My goal is to find a shop over the winter
How will I advertise and promote my business?
Ads in the shoppers guide
Business Cards
Business Flyers
Truck and Trailer Lettering
Word Of Mouth

Comments and advice is much appreciated,please little or no bashing!

KS_Grasscutter
10-25-2008, 12:49 AM
Too wordy...

My business plan: stay in business, get as big as possible, and make as much money as possible.

J & D Greens
10-25-2008, 02:26 AM
My plan is to stay lean (expenses wise) and out of dept in 09 while growing in a pace that I will be able to handle.

Ooomwizard
10-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Keep it simple. Key to business is sales. Quote; "nothing happens till somebody makes a sale."

I keep my focus on client acquisition and retention. I price proposals and contracts to return a profit. Figure out your costs and figure in a good margin. As you've mentioned don't forget to add in your advertising and other non-direct (future purchases and equip maint) and operating costs. Add these into your costs into quotes as well and still allow a good profit margin for you to live on. Let non-profitable accounts or low bids go.

My example: direct job costs (materials, labor, supplies, etc.) X 2.5 is a good multiplier. It's a easy formula for me and usually accounts for all expenses, paying myself and making for a reasonable quote.

All the inquiry posts on "what to bid" can be as simple as this.

Looks like you've got it covered but bury yourself to much in the details. Get the customers and you'll grow well.

GL!

STIHL GUY
10-30-2008, 08:17 PM
yea i agree its very wordy

MileHigh
10-30-2008, 08:32 PM
What I learned in this biz this year that if you want to be real profitable...

You Must Offer As Many Services As Possible!

You would not believe the amount of work that can be had if you offer much more than just mowing. And I see that in your plan. Why would a customer want to keep you when you can't fufill all of there lawn needs. When the next company can handle there mowing, to there spraying, to there installs, to there blowouts, to there plowing. etc

My biggest goal is to achieve a Pesticide Applicators License, and start spraying like a madman. I've had to turn down so much work due to not having this license.

High School still huh? If your serious about lawn service/snow removal, you don't really need a diploma...I'm not telling you to drop out, just think about all the time you will be able to throw into you business. Get a G.E.D.

^^^I know some people are gonna rag on me for that, but it's what I truly believe. My time spent in high school was a waste. Drugs, Alcohol, Girls, Bad Associations. I dropped out asap, and got my ged, my parents in full support at the time.

Good Luck Lawn Freak...Sounds like you got your head on straight to me.

LouisianaLawnboy
02-13-2009, 12:12 AM
NO WAY BladeScape.

Stay in HS! What happens if you have to stop cutting grass? A GED is not the equivalent of a Diploma. Its just not!

Lucky Star Lawn Care
02-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Too busy... but that might be good for your parents backing. But for yourself just write down a couple quick notes and put them somewhere you will see them everyday. Maybe not a plan but goals. Just a thought... $200 for fuel a month would be awesome! And there are a lot more challenges you could list.

HOOLIE
02-13-2009, 08:51 AM
I don't get it...some of you high school guys act like you're broke unless you're making 5 grand a month part time. When I was in high school I made $3.35 an hour, was lucky to get 20 hours a week, and that was it. If I had had 5 steady lawns to cut at $30 a pop, I would have been thrilled with it.

No way would my parents have ever let me dedicate every non-school moment to working. Your parents are probably feeling the same way.

If I had dropped out to cut grass, my ass would have been kicked all over the house. If any of MY kids were to try this, I'd kick some sense into them too.

Not to knock anyone's work ethic and motivation but keep things in perspective while you're a kid still.

White Gardens
02-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Here's what I would do if you are serious.

Contact your local SBA, and they'll give you the direction to go to get local help for making a "true" business plan. There is no such thing as a "Wordy" business plan. A good plan should be a minimum of 3 pages with demographics, local market value, planned growth, etc.........

My first Biz plan was 3 pages, my updated one is 7 and I'm not finished yet.

What this does is that it shows your parents you are serious about what you do and you will also have a legitimate business plan you can present to your banker when you feel you need financing. Do it right and you won't have to ask for your parents help.

In the summer, I would talk to your local JC and try to take a business class. Any extra education along with a high school diploma will make you more successful in the long run.

I'm not saying you should go to college and get a degree in hort or biz, but you should always want to learn more about your biz and how to make it run better.

Besides, the more you know about what you are doing the better your clients will be informed.

Kennedy Landscaping
02-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Just to clarify, I will NOT drop out of school to do this. Too many bad things can happen in the long run from it. This plan has since been revised a few times since I posted this. Pretty much I've got my parents to the point where I just buy what I need to or what I find feasable as far as equipment goes. Now on big things like the trailer and whatnot I still run it by them. But the plan for this year short and sweet. Sell atleast one Toro push mower to leave me with my Cub Cadet. Purchase an FC75 STIHL Stick Edger. And that should hopefully be all of the equipment purchases for the season. Plus some trailer racks to try and be more efficient. Advertise alot, and I already told my parents after I get my equipment purchases out of the way I will start saving up for my new truck. And hopefully have the money to buy it in two or three seasons. I am looking at around a 2005 or newer Ford F-350 1 ton dump. The reason for the dump is I fell it would be well utilized in my business. And also allows for future advancement with my business. Questions or comments are welcomed. I could go on and on about this...

White Gardens
02-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Go nothing less than an F-450 if you want a dump.

Green Finger
02-13-2009, 12:02 PM
I don't get it...some of you high school guys act like you're broke unless you're making 5 grand a month part time. When I was in high school I made $3.35 an hour, was lucky to get 20 hours a week, and that was it. If I had had 5 steady lawns to cut at $30 a pop, I would have been thrilled with it.

No way would my parents have ever let me dedicate every non-school moment to working. Your parents are probably feeling the same way.

If I had dropped out to cut grass, my ass would have been kicked all over the house. If any of MY kids were to try this, I'd kick some sense into them too.

Not to knock anyone's work ethic and motivation but keep things in perspective while you're a kid still.

I AGREE WIT YA BROTHER:nono:

stuffdeer
02-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Everyone is saying this business plan is too wordy...

My business plan is 16 pages long, without references, I think this isn't even close to be "wordy" enough.

grassyfras
02-13-2009, 11:30 PM
I think you need a better competitive advantage.

lukemelo216
02-13-2009, 11:56 PM
I agree with the few other on here, its not nearly long enough. My first business plan is 3 pages long, and I am going to the bank with in the next 3 weeks, and I hope to have it more at 5-7 pages. Take the others advice go to the sba.org and look up how to write a real business plan. It is much more in depth than just those little questions. And when you answer, you need to go into some detail. For example, when asked how you will promote your business, you said ad in the newspaper or something like that. Ok, that could be anytime during the year. The banker, who would want to see your business plan, is going to say ok when is this ad occurring?

It should read more like...............During the the months of February, March, and April, we will run a daily ad in the local newspaper informing those of the services we offer. Following the completion of the last ad in April, we will slow down to only running two ads per week, running them on thursday and friday during the months of May through September. In the month of october we will begin to run daily ads again for our fall services. This ad will run until the 31st. To finish off the year, we will run newspaper adds from November 1 to December 31st for our snow and ice management services.

Now this isnt by any means a perfect example, but it is pointing you in the right direction. They need exact detail. And it should be like that for everything you explain, not just the advertising, EVERYTHING. Again like the others have said, look into sba.org its one of the most useful sites i ever found, next to lawnsite of course.

Lucky Star Lawn Care
02-14-2009, 12:20 AM
My business plan is also a few pages long....I saw this as being more of a goal list and not a business plan. And thats why I said it was to wordy for what I thought it was. Definately not a business plan

Grass Happens
02-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Yea, a real business plan is going to be a multitude of pages, with source information, references and research. Plus the ubiquitous pie charts, can't forget the pie charts :). In all honesty, something is FAR better then nothing! at least he has some sort of plan written down, he's doing better then I am!

HOOLIE
02-14-2009, 12:45 AM
Just to clarify, I will NOT drop out of school to do this. Too many bad things can happen in the long run from it. This plan has since been revised a few times since I posted this. Pretty much I've got my parents to the point where I just buy what I need to or what I find feasable as far as equipment goes. Now on big things like the trailer and whatnot I still run it by them. But the plan for this year short and sweet. Sell atleast one Toro push mower to leave me with my Cub Cadet. Purchase an FC75 STIHL Stick Edger. And that should hopefully be all of the equipment purchases for the season. Plus some trailer racks to try and be more efficient. Advertise alot, and I already told my parents after I get my equipment purchases out of the way I will start saving up for my new truck. And hopefully have the money to buy it in two or three seasons. I am looking at around a 2005 or newer Ford F-350 1 ton dump. The reason for the dump is I fell it would be well utilized in my business. And also allows for future advancement with my business. Questions or comments are welcomed. I could go on and on about this...

I didn't think you were going to dropout, that's never a good idea. You just need to think if you want this ultimately to be a career or not. If not, then don't waste your youth cutting grass. It probably seems great since I'm sure you're not paying rent, utilities, alimony, child support, etc. If I lived at home still, I'd probably have enough saved to be retired by now. That...is not reality.

You know how people in the media say Kobe Bryant is old? Well he's not really old, but he's been playing 100+ NBA games a year since he was 18, so he SEEMS old. Same concept applies to a 30 year old man whose been mowing from dawn til dusk since age 15. Then you decide you want to try something different, but you forgot to go to college since you were making bank at age 20. Most Americans change jobs several times, and many change careers at some point. So while your in high school there's no need to approach this as a do-or-die business. Just cut some lawns, save the cash for later, and have some fun along the way. You'll thank me later :)

Lucky Star Lawn Care
02-14-2009, 12:47 AM
DEFINATELY better than nothing its something good to get started with. I would like to revise my original business plan now that I have a little more knowledge about whats going on.

Kennedy Landscaping
02-14-2009, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the advice guys! I may end up revising this plan, it was just a little something to show my parents I was serious.

Exact Rototilling
02-14-2009, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the advice guys! I may end up revising this plan, it was just a little something to show my parents I was serious.
I hope it works out for you - I only hope my son is as motivated as you are when he get to your age. :weightlifter:

I don't buy the argument that you need to offer every possible landscape related service. That's a topic for another thread.

All the best :waving:

MikeKle
02-14-2009, 09:46 AM
How does getting your trucks windows tinted improve your business, my advice take the money for window tinting and put it towards a commercial grade trimmer and/or blower,those Ryobi, poulan, and craftsman hand-helds will not last long! They are made for homeowner duties and not for daily use. I too thought I could get away with using this grade of hand helds when I got started, but I soon found out they are hard to keep going day after day.You can find new and lightly used commercial grade stuff for fairly cheap. Finally, How are you getting all your gear around currently if you dont have a trailer? Buy a 16' instead of a 14', they are more readily available (around here at least) than the 14' and usually cheaper, and you can grow into it over time.Good luck

Tommy Boy
02-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Austin,

Too few people actually take the time to write a plan, let alone follow one. Only a few things to add:

1. You need a system to measure results (Performance Goals) During 2009, BLANK Company will increases sales 11%, the how do you plane to do this?
2. You need a marketing plan for the year (month by month) and cost projections. What to expect to get from you marketing? How will this help
3. What is you plan for adding revenue for doing additional work for existing customers?
4. Review your plan every quarter and make adjustments if necessary

Good start and keep good books.

pjanders
02-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Whatever you do, stay in school. Graduate from high school and go to a good community collage if you can. Use the money from the lawn work to pay your tuition. Take as many business and writing classes as you can. They are the two most important skills to have when you are trying to sell an idea (or yourself) to someone else.

As you get older your interests will change. The time may come -- and sooner than you think -- when you want to start a business that doesn't involve cutting grass. When that moment arrives everything you did before that time will be training for what you might end up doing for the rest of your life. Look at every experience in your life as a way to learn and improve yourself.

You sound like you're off to a good start. Good luck!

--
Paul

Exact Rototilling
02-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Even though getting a GED might actually take more work to complete than graduating from HS...many view a HS diploma as superior.

Just finish HS and be done with it. :waving:

yard_smart
02-17-2009, 04:06 PM
here is an actual business plan. I pulled out my financial parts

yard_smart
02-17-2009, 04:13 PM
well it wont up load its too big but give me your e mai land i'll let you take a look

TJLANDS
02-17-2009, 04:21 PM

I remember those days pumping gas 3pm-11pm making $3-4 an hour clearing $150 a week....and i was happy:laugh:

Kennedy Landscaping
02-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Guys, you all have good advice for me and I appreciate it all. I will more than likely revise this plan soon. Yard Smart I'll shoot you a PM

yard_smart
02-18-2009, 02:07 PM
here is my business plan . . http://www.easypropropertyservices.com/BusinessPlan

and as far as Hoolie's post is concerned - I am 20 yrs old, and go to school full time studying business mgmt. and marketing. I am looking to do 100k this year. Why is it so wrong for us young guys not to be happy with the 7/hr job working at the gas station? I am an entrepreneur and when I see an opportunity to make money i jump on it! I will not live in a $100k house i will live in a $250k house I set my goals high and will work my a$$ of to get there. Settling for anything less is unacceptable

Kennedy Landscaping
02-21-2009, 09:00 PM
here is my business plan . . http://www.easypropropertyservices.com/BusinessPlan

and as far as Hoolie's post is concerned - I am 20 yrs old, and go to school full time studying business mgmt. and marketing. I am looking to do 100k this year. Why is it so wrong for us young guys not to be happy with the 7/hr job working at the gas station? I am an entrepreneur and when I see an opportunity to make money i jump on it! I will not live in a $100k house i will live in a $250k house I set my goals high and will work my a$$ of to get there. Settling for anything less is unacceptable

Fixin to read that plan right now.

lukemelo216
02-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Yes Freak, I strongly recommend reading that plan it is very helpful. I took a look at it, and was in amazement. I am meeting with my banker on Tuesday, and am working to put my finishing touches on my plan, as soon as I saw his, I put the breaks on and reworked my entire plan from scratch. I have only got about 1/4 of the way done and im on my 5 or 6 page. Before that my plan was three pages long. I didnt copy any of his work, but just structured it similarly and went into greater detail than what i previously had. Its great. Thanks a lot Easy.

Kennedy Landscaping
02-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Not complete by any means but it is about seven pages long so far :)
Kennedy Landscaping & Maintenance Business Plan- Updated Feb. 21 2009

Introduction:
With over four years of experience I would like to introduce you to my company. Kennedy Landscaping & Maintenance is a full service lawn and landscape company that is tailored to our customers needs. We offer a service for every season to ensure that the customer’s property is looking the best that it can every day of the year. We service many different “types” of properties, including Mid-Class residential homes, High-End residential homes, and commercial properties. At Kennedy Landscaping & Maintenance we take pride in doing a top notch job on our customers property so that it looks spectacular when we pull away. We also do our absolute best to provide these top notch services at an affordable and reasonable price tag. If there is anything a customer needs to have done, weather it is grooming the lawn or changing that light bulb on the porch, we will always be more than happy to help out. Any job big or small, the only name a customer needs to know is Kennedy Landscaping & Maintenance.

Detailed Service Listing:
At Kennedy Landscaping & Maintenance we offer a variety of services to fit our customers needs all year round and ensure that they don’t have to be stressed about all the things that need to get done around the house. Below is a detailed listing of the services that we are currently providing. There may also be minor things that are not in this list, however, if requested and the request is reasonable the service can normally be provided.

Weekly/Bi-Weekly Lawn Maintenance:
This service includes mowing, bagging, and removal of all grass and clippings. Flowerbeds will be raked free of all limbs and leaves to leave a manicured look throughout the week. Trimming and Edging is also performed, and to finish it all off, all hard surfaces are blown free of any debris. We will also remove trash and minor limbs from the customers lawn as well free of charge.

Flower Bed Watering Systems:
Most customers are not sure of what this service is, this is an environmentally friendly way to nourish plants and bushes inside of flowerbeds. This system consists of ¼ flexible low-pressure tubing that is ran from a central manifold to individual sprinkler heads throughout the garden. This system uses very little water and ahs been proven to decrease watering bills and hassles. Simply turn the faucet on and let the drip system do the work. These systems are cheap to install as well as maintain.

Flower Bed Mulch Installation:
This is the best way to keep that prize flower garden looking perfect all year. During this process we remove all old mulch from the bed, as well as remove any weeds that may have emerged. After removing all the old material, the bed is re-edged for a manicured look, then the new fresh mulch is installed and hand spread to ensure a nice even covering around and in between all plants and fixtures.

New Landscape Installation:
A new landscape can totally change the look of a property. There are so many options to installing a new landscape feature, weather it is a simple flower garden a customer wants, or a large one. At Kennedy Landscaping & Maintenance we have the capabilities to install a beautiful feature at an affordable price.

Existing Landscape Maintenance:
This service ties in with Flower Bed Mulch Installation, but in addition to re-mulching a bed, this service includes pruning and trimming of selected plants and bushes.

Small Brush Removal:
In the even of a storm or other even that causes limbs to fall from a tree, we can remove them from the lawn to leave the customers property looking like new once again. Or if there is just that pile behind the garage that was going to the dump before the truck broke down, we can grab that too.

Leaf Pile Removal:
This service explains itself. If the customer enjoys raking the leaves themselves but just don’t like the hassle of bagging them up and hauling them to the dump. They can simply rake them all into central piles, call us, and we will be out to remove the leaves from the property.

Spring Cleanups:
If a customer wants to get the lawn in shape for the up coming spring and summer season, this service is perfect for that. The typical cleanup is removing any leaves that may be left over from the previous fall, removing any brush that is fallen. We will also trim plants and bushes, re-mulch beds if desired, as well as de-thatch the lawn to get all of that dead grass out of the equation. This service can be altered in many different ways to fit the customers desire.

Fall Cleanups:
This includes removal of all leaves from the lawn and flower beds. Bed mulching can bush trimming can be performed as well during this process if so desired by the customer.

Lawn Overseeding:
If the customer likes to have a lush green lawn during the growing season, this service can do just that. We can overseed a lawn with a slit seeder, which cuts vertical incisions into the ground and drops the seed of choice.

Core Aeration:
One of the main keys to having a nice green lawn is air. If the roots cannot get air the grass cannot grow as hearty as it could otherwise. This service removes round “plugs” of earth and deposits them on top of the lawn enabling water to get down to the roots of the grass and as well as allowing the roots to breath therefore growing stronger and greener grass.

Gutter Cleaning:
The clogging of gutters can lead to premature rotting of the wood on a customers home. As well as cause “rutting” below the gutter where the water flows over the top of it from the drain spout being clogged up. During this service we remove all debris from the gutter and downspout, then run water through the system to ensure that it is completely free of clogs and debris.

Bush & Shrub Trimming:
During the course of this service, we will trim the customer’s bushes and/or shrubbery and haul away all clippings and debris to ensure a clean, manicured look when we leave the property.

New Tree & Plant Installation:
Weather it is a pallet of annuals or a new tree by the back patio that needs to be planted, at Kennedy Landscaping & Maintenance we have the capabilities to complete the task on time and in a costly manner.

Caring For Our Customers:
At Kennedy Landscaping & Maintenance our customer’s mean everything to us, we don’t have a problem spending that extra ten minutes on a customer’s property to fix that last little detail that makes everything look perfect. Our customers will receive a series of letters throughout the season including listings of new services, scheduling notifications etc.

Customers will have my cell phone number in case the event of something happening that would require our immediate attention or an unplanned change in a schedule, we will always try our absolute hardest to accommodate a customers needs. If payment is an issue, since we are a relatively small company, we are willing to accept late payments within a reasonable amount of time at no additional fees. Each customer also receives a receipt after a service is provided to retain for their records. If a customer is unhappy with a service or the way it was completed, I will have a discussion with the customer to see what it is that was not satisfactory, and do anything and everything within my power to fix the problem and make it right so the customer encounters no further inconveniences.

Kennedy Landscaping & Maintenance’s Equipment:
At Kennedy Landscaping & Maintenance we believe in having our equipment in top running condition and looking its best all season long. Our equipment consists of just about anything we need to get any job done. If we don’t have it, we find it and complete the job the correct way.

Trucks: Our main truck is a 1994 Ford F-150 that is outfitted with proper materials and supplies to get the job done. Also as a backup, we have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 that is used for work if the main truck were to ever be out of commission for a period of time.

Mowers: We have a total of five mowers, one 36”, one 46”, and three 21”. Our main mower is the 36” Gravely which was purchased during the 2008 season. All of these mowers are ready to go and do a quality job in the event of a break down on a primary machine.

Trimmers/Edgers: We have a total of two trimmers, both are in great shape and ready to handle any task we need them to. We also plan to purchase a stick edger during the spring of 2009 to make our edges just that much more manicured and perfect.

Blowers: We also have a total of three leaf blowers, two which were purchased brand new during the summer of 2008. The remaining blower was purchased back in 2003 but is still maintained and prepared to run at top condition and perform on the front line if necessary.

Other: We have a variety of misc. equipment that is needed to get the job done. Such as pressure washers, tillers, shears, sprayers etc.

Advertising:
Advertising plays a key factor at Kennedy Landscaping & Maintenance, we have a variety of different methods as to attract a good customer base and further build our company. During the first few weeks of February we hand out approximately 150 flyers to high end and mid class residential homes. During the beginning few weeks of March we distribute another 150 flyers to the same target homes. About mid March, we will run weekly ads in the county wide paper that state a few of our services and contact information. We generally get a decent return from the newspaper ad. We also have lawn signs that we place at our select properties in busy locations. Our customers are also involved in a referral program that will give them an incentive to tell their piers about Kennedy Landscaping & Maintenance. Kennedy Landscaping & Maintenance also has a website that can provide potential customers with a list of services as well as pictures of work that we have completed. Throughout the duration of the season, customers are given numerous business cards that they can distribute if they desire. Our vehicle also has decals which provide our company name and number for potential customers.

cobaltgoldgoblin
05-19-2011, 08:32 PM
All you need are good customers with money who like you. If you're as balanced and hardworking as you sound in your business plan, the only thing you will have a challenge with is well paying customers. Most customers aren't independent business people and are thrifty and can't appreciate a good independent business. They can't give you good advice or very much money for projects because they aren't business owners. You are, so find people to work for who are independent business owners, and they will be your bread and butter.