PDA

View Full Version : Need blower advice

justgettinstarted
10-25-2008, 12:22 PM
I am about to buy my first blower. I will probably buy used and residential because I don't have much to spend. What do I need to stay away from? Are there any residential that work well? Are the ones that have vacuum any good?

GNB
10-25-2008, 01:27 PM
I would keep saving until i can get a commercial one or i would buy a used commercial one.i wouldnt get a homeowners one.i like redmax.hope this helps

S.A.L.
10-25-2008, 02:44 PM
What do I need to stay away from? Are there any residential that work well?

Stay away from homeowner's models.
I just picked up a Stihl handheld for 170 still filled with its second tank of gas.
There are deals out there this time of year. Don't settle for a homeowner unit.

LALawnboy
10-25-2008, 03:08 PM
When I first started, I had only a residential grade handheld. If you're doing more than one yard weekly, save your money and get a commercial grade blower, whether it be handheld or backpack. The residential models don't last for anything and the amount of money you'll spend replacing is going to cost more than buying a solid commercial product.

On another note, Seth, how are you liking that Stihl?

bohiaa
10-25-2008, 04:58 PM
from time to time I will purchase a homeowner type of blower. the elcheep-o's from Home depot work well, under 100.00 and I can get 2 seasons from them.

had one that lasted 3 seasons, Never cleaned the air filter or anything.
There GREAT
the reason I purchase them is because of employee issues.

Ruben Rocha
10-25-2008, 05:18 PM
The best suggestion is a commercial blower for the long run. If you need a blower right now and am willing to have it fail shorttime get the absolute cheapest blower you can and save your dollars for something that will last for years. Just think of the waste of money as a education if you wish to stay in this industry. There is no comparision between the two.

It's tough when you see a commercial blower priced much higher than a residential one. But there is a reason. They last much longer.

I keep a cheap muli tool ryobi for backup and I really never use it. Don't know why. But I end up repairing it every year. And I mean I never never use it.
Oh I missed the part about the vacumn. That is up to you for your needs. But if you buy a tarp. just lay it on the ground blow the stuff on the tarp and ball it up. I am guessing you are talking about a hand held not backpack and you will soon find that the bacg on the blower does not hold more than you wish.

S.A.L.
10-25-2008, 07:54 PM
On another note, Seth, how are you liking that Stihl?

Todd,
It has worked out perfect. I actually find myself reaching for it more often than I originally thought. The back pack has been sitting on the truck except for blowing the big areas. Thanks again.

scagdude
10-26-2008, 03:22 PM
yes go commercial because in the long run like everyone has said you will actually end up saving a lot of money. how often are you wanting to use it? are you looking at backpack or handheld?

justgettinstarted
10-26-2008, 04:29 PM
yes go commercial because in the long run like everyone has said you will actually end up saving a lot of money. how often are you wanting to use it? are you looking at backpack or handheld?

Thanks. I have been looking for a handheld with vacuum. But I have been talking with a friend that has been in the business who says the vacuum really isnt needed. So now I am looking for a backpack. From what I can tell from this site, Redmax, Stihl, Echo, and Shindaiwa are the best. It looks like I might be coming into a good deal on a used Redmax backpack.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-26-2008, 04:36 PM
I will break the trend here. If you want to get a homeowner grade machine, mine is a Poulan Pro and I like it just fine, plenty of power for me. However I would suggest not using the vacuum feature, they have plastic impellers that shred the stuff and they wear out quick. I am in the market for a commercial back pack here maybe next season. But my reccomendation would be the Poulan, I've been using it for the whole season almost every day and not one problem with it. Just my 02

justgettinstarted
10-26-2008, 05:09 PM
I will break the trend here. If you want to get a homeowner grade machine, mine is a Poulan Pro and I like it just fine, plenty of power for me. However I would suggest not using the vacuum feature, they have plastic impellers that shred the stuff and they wear out quick. I am in the market for a commercial back pack here maybe next season. But my reccomendation would be the Poulan, I've been using it for the whole season almost every day and not one problem with it. Just my 02

Thanks. I will keep that in mind if this deal on the Redmax doesn't go through.