PDA

View Full Version : Mowing after fall clean ups?

Green Team Landscaping
10-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Do you guys(with BP blowers and Little Wonders) mow after you clean up a yard? I found that the yard looks like a giant wind storm hit the yard when I'm done because the blower is so powerful. Do you guys do it?

Wittapp
10-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Depends on the customer and the quote. If it is one of my regular contracts, yes. If it is an on call service, it is what the customer wants. If that is what you decide looks best, by all means, cut. Just make sure you include that in your quote

Dave in Dayton

Runner
10-25-2008, 02:30 PM
No. The mowing comes beforehand. The reason being, is that it does two things. Mainly, it shuffles all the material to the top so it moves more efficiently -MUCH more. And second, it is that much more ground up that it compacts much easier and more efficiently.

mattfromNY
10-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Around here, normally, by the time all the leaves fall off the norways and oaks, it is so late in the season, we're more worried about snow storms than wind storms.

2low4NH
10-25-2008, 03:19 PM
im with the above poster we get snow around the time all the leaves drop! but yes regular clients get a mow when im done others will if they want to pay for it. it gives a much better look that way

topsites
10-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Does it need it?
If yes, I do.
Otherwise, no.

rick74
10-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Topsites does it exactly how I do it.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Does it need it?
If yes, I do.
Otherwise, no.

Ditto, I find it looks best if a lawn had leaves everywhere when you showed up and when you leave there are hardly any leaves but there are fresh stripes

MOW ED
10-27-2008, 09:46 AM
The lawns grow here usually to the end of Oct or beginning of November. Leaf control customers see us every week for a partial clean and a mow, billed seperately. We also reduce the height of cut to about 2 1/4 to 2.5 or so for the final run. No scalping. People who just want a one time clean get the blowout and most leaves chopped up to dust by the mowers. If its a high profile lawn or the leaf load is heavy the Walker will come by to vacuum and make it look good. There is a price for all of this, as usual.

Groomer
10-27-2008, 11:26 AM
blow then mow then go.

scagdude
11-02-2008, 01:30 AM
mow then blow

DaughtryLC
11-02-2008, 01:45 AM
Blow & Mow

ALC-GregH
11-02-2008, 11:08 AM
I bag them with the 16b bagger on my Cub. No real need to move them around other then the beds and corners. Bag them and dump. Leaves a clean lawn with nice stripes. :) I did one customer yesterday, I was there about the same amount of time. Usually I SD the grass so I usually have more blowing to do. With the bagger on and catching all the grass, all I had was a 30sec dump, 3 times. After I was done, I realized it took less time overall to have it look better! I'm considering the thought of bagging all my customers next season as it just looks better overall.

NNJLandman
11-02-2008, 12:05 PM
All cleanups get leaves cleaned from turf areas, beds, paved ares, out of bushed, sticks picked up then the lawn gets cut. I find it to be very efficient. We blow the beds and paved areas off real well, and run over the lawn with the blowers moving the bulk of the leaves then cut the lawn with mower catch whats left and everything looks great. I gotta start taking pictures of my cleanups this year.

DixieFerris
11-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Hey New Jersey, we have pretty much the same routine. First couple times just bag/blow off the grass areas and pavement. Last couple times are complete cleanups including the beds too, and trim back all perennials, remove dead annuals, and blow back the woods lines. People love it

STIHL GUY
11-02-2008, 06:37 PM
i did 3 cleanups this weekend and i was all set to mow after all the blowing but i looked over the lawn and didnt look bad at all.

S L C
11-03-2008, 11:01 AM
No. The mowing comes beforehand. The reason being, is that it does two things. Mainly, it shuffles all the material to the top so it moves more efficiently -MUCH more. And second, it is that much more ground up that it compacts much easier and more efficiently.

DITTO !!! :usflag:

Wittapp
11-03-2008, 01:57 PM
After reading all of these responses, I have come to one answere about this question: common sense. There are propbably more right answeres to this question than there are customers out there. It is primarily going to depend on what the customer wants. I usualy mow as part of the process, what part depends on the situation. Good luck with all of them
Dave in Dayton