PDA

View Full Version : Mowers with bagging System

Green Finger
10-25-2008, 03:06 PM
I was wondering for those with mowers who have the automatic bagging systems ie. Walkers, nagivators.

How many of you guys rigged the mower so it doesn't collect the grass. Preferablly mulching only

Or can you rig the machine to to mulch only?

Just wondering?

b121774
10-25-2008, 05:59 PM
I used these mulch plates that I bought on ebay that worked quite well on my Walker's. Paid $130 per plate which is kind of high for what it is but the results were good! You just bolt then into the rear discharge chute of the deck and it reflects the grass back into the deck to be recut.

Green Finger
10-25-2008, 10:12 PM
thanks alot

DLAWNS
10-26-2008, 09:43 AM
On my navigator you can switch the baffles under the deck to mulch up to 75%. I haven't really played with it yet, but if it will still leave a clean cut then I will sure like to mulch some of it up to take less leaves away. The only way to mulch all of it with the navigator is to buy the mulch kit.

Jason Rose
10-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Yes, unfortunately, the Navigator has the advantage here since they DO sell a mulch kit for their deck. Now you can find the one "b121774" was talking about on Ebay, at least sometimes, they aren't always posted on there... Glad to hear it works pretty well though.

Walker's usually require a whole new deck to preform different functions, bagging, discharge, mulch... They do have the 52" SD deck that not only discharges very nicely it also has a full mulch kit and mulches great too. Now, why they don't offer a mulching 48" deck, or a kit fo add to their 48" discharge deck, is anyones guess... I have a number of 4 foot gates I have to work through, and only the 48" GHS deck will fit. I bought a 52" SD deck but of course can't use it on these lawns. If they had a 48" SD/mulch deck I may have paid a new price for it! (got the 52" SD deck for a good deal, used.)

ed2hess
10-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Walker has a device that allows blowing clippings out the back. It holds the back lid open and works okay with a few modifications. We hung a second piece of plastic so it dropped the stuff down better so you don't get stuff on the trim guys or sidewalks. Nice thing about the old Scag Cougar it had baffles to swith between bag, sidedischarge, and mulching that work just fine and was easy to convert.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Two words......Mulch Kit

Lawdog302
10-27-2008, 10:04 AM
The problem with this scenario is that you but a machine to be awsome at what one thing, bagging. Whether it is a navigator or a walker you buy a machine designed to pick up clippings and they are the best at it. When you want to side discarge there are a million machines that are the best at it. Do the side discharge machines to the best at bagging? no. If you have a ghs walker, I would believe that the best thing would be getting an extra 52" side discharge deck for the walker that has the mulch kit for it would be the best deal. That you could bag, mulch, or side discharge and have the best of 3 worlds. I don't now if the navigator has other decks you can put on it. IMHO