PDA

View Full Version : can a belt drive WB pull this?

RLS24
10-25-2008, 04:56 PM
I have a Lesco 48" WB. its belt drive. I want to get one of those stand-on style sulkys for it. Now, I'm about 6'2" and 235 lbs, is this all gonna be too much for the WB to pull? its an older model but it was well taken care of and the gear box is fairly new.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
10-25-2008, 05:03 PM
lose some weigh...........you need to be walking.............

Genlandscape
10-25-2008, 05:07 PM
It's 'weight' and 6'2" @235lb. may just be enough to kick your azz!! How many hp is the engine, my 12.5 kawi exmark metro pulls a sulky just fine.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
10-25-2008, 05:17 PM
It's 'weight' and 6'2" @235lb. may just be enough to kick your azz!! How many hp is the engine, my 12.5 kawi exmark metro pulls a sulky just fine.

i made sure he was in a different state....:hammerhead: lmao

txgrassguy
10-25-2008, 05:26 PM
If it does, it won't for long on anything other than minor slopes.
the main culprit is the drive belts and their propensity to stretch.
Should you do decide to use a sulkie, invest in belt dressing.
And never, ever, change gears on the fly. Those Peerless tranny's have no provision for a gear change if the output shafts are spinning - even slowly.

Genlandscape
10-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Good thing, sounds like a big dude. LOL If a hydro wb will pull it the gear machine should do the same. Not much difference except for smoothness of operation. If your belts are good and adjusted properly I don't see you having any problems, as long as you have the horsepower.

RLS24
10-25-2008, 05:51 PM
it has the 12.5 hp Kawi on it. I just put 2 new tires on the back and all new belts so im good to go there.

A-Land
10-25-2008, 06:21 PM
it has the 12.5 hp Kawi on it. I just put 2 new tires on the back and all new belts so im good to go there.

Yeah that doesn't sound like enough power..... I wouldn't bother.

Puddle of Oil
10-25-2008, 06:33 PM
if its a gear box, no. there not that strong. speaking of heavy, i got a funny story. well while i was on my way to another job i noticed two guys mowing a lawn. one was large the other was skinny. they had a walk behind with no sulky and a ztr. Can anyone guess who was on what mower? The skinny guy was on the wb and the big dude was on the rider. and this guy was huge, hahaha. Ive seen em a number of times before and its the same setup. skinny guy does all the walking. hahaha

A-Land
10-25-2008, 07:08 PM
if its a gear box, no. there not that strong. speaking of heavy, i got a funny story. well while i was on my way to another job i noticed two guys mowing a lawn. one was large the other was skinny. they had a walk behind with no sulky and a ztr. Can anyone guess who was on what mower? The skinny guy was on the wb and the big dude was on the rider. and this guy was huge, hahaha. Ive seen em a number of times before and its the same setup. skinny guy does all the walking. hahaha

Buy them a sulky and see what happens lol....................

wallzwallz
10-25-2008, 07:30 PM
I used to weigh around 260 lbs and used sulkys on belt drive walk behinds. No problems, the gear box is strong enough, the belts are the weak link. If belts are adjusted correctly, it works fine. The gear boxes worst enemy is what someone already posted shifting on the fly. My 135 lb guy eats the tranny just as fast as I would, every 3-4 years.

RLS24
10-25-2008, 08:12 PM
I know to treat the gearbox well. honestly I keep it in 1 gear and never take it out. i figure if i never shift it at all, that will help prolong it. I hope some more people reply here, I'm getting some mixed feedback.

A-Land
10-25-2008, 08:25 PM
I know to treat the gearbox well. honestly I keep it in 1 gear and never take it out. i figure if i never shift it at all, that will help prolong it. I hope some more people reply here, I'm getting some mixed feedback.

You just don't have enough horsepower. 12.5 hp isn't enough. It doesn't matter how well you keep the tranny.

BTW - You're probably wearing that gear out faster fyi

Kelly's Landscaping
10-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Well the tranny is around 200 dollars a small price to pay if your wrong I say do it you seem to want to ride just know it costs a little extra for the privilege. No different then me on my clutches I always engage them at full speed I hate to idle down so I have replaced the one on my lazer 3 times so I'm on my 4th the mower does have 3200 hours so its not that bad. If you do blow the motor then upgrade to the 15 hps like most of the mowers that size come with now and your be fine.

Just step off the sulky when going up hills it will remove most of the strain on flat ground you should have no issues.

slone
10-25-2008, 09:20 PM
I never had any trouble with my older lesco and bobcat ransome mowers with 12.5 hp. Motors. I was 6.0ft. And 240-250 when i ran mine. I still have both mowers. Never had to change a trans. On either machine

Richard Martin
10-26-2008, 05:14 AM
You just don't have enough horsepower. 12.5 hp isn't enough. It doesn't matter how well you keep the tranny.

BTW - You're probably wearing that gear out faster fyi

12.5 hp is more than enough. The 700 series Peerless tranny has been used in millions of applications. From lowly 10 HP rear engine riders to 17 HP walkbehinds and everything in between. As long as you don't shift while the clutches are engaged it will be fine and it can easily handle a 450 pound walkbehind pulling a 250 pound man. Even up hill!

Most Peerless trannies are still in fine shape long after the engine has died on most mowers.

A-Land
10-26-2008, 10:32 AM
12.5 hp is more than enough. The 700 series Peerless tranny has been used in millions of applications. From lowly 10 HP rear engine riders to 17 HP walkbehinds and everything in between. As long as you don't shift while the clutches are engaged it will be fine and it can easily handle a 450 pound walkbehind pulling a 250 pound man. Even up hill!

Most Peerless trannies are still in fine shape long after the engine has died on most mowers.

I'm about his size. I have a 48" wb, 18 hp hydro. I would not want to run a 12.5 hp, that's a loss of 1/3 the power. In tall grass or on a gradual hill, I have a feeling the machine would bog down.

I didn't even know they made 48" machines with that low hp on them.

RLS24
10-26-2008, 04:48 PM
yeah i was looking at the mower today and its got the 14 hp kawi on it, I have no idea why i thought it was 12. but anyway....

traman
10-26-2008, 05:30 PM
i have a 15hp metro exmark belt drive ,going on five years now pulling a sulky and me 260 lbs.i run in 5 gear 99% of the time ,so long as the tires dont slip it pulls me just fine

Kennedy Landscaping
10-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Yeah that doesn't sound like enough power..... I wouldn't bother.

Ditto, sorry to burst your bubble man but it would probably be safer to walk

RLS24
10-26-2008, 07:27 PM
I dont mind walking at all, just some of my lawns are pretty large and wide open and I was thinking I could increase productivity if I could "ride" in those wide open spaces, thinking I could maybe go a little faster. I would prob only use the sulky on 3 or so lawns, some of the smaller ones I'd rather walk because I think it would make the mower more maneuverable.

STRINGALATION
10-26-2008, 07:31 PM
JUST BOUGHT A SULKY COUPLE WEEKS AGO FOR MY BUNTON and you guys got me worried

1. 6-ft tall 270ish
2. older vari-speed bunton john deere combo supposedly able to shift on the fly
3. 13hp-onan engine i believe tecmusah tranny
i'm new to the sulky world but i felt like i was flying around with no problems i was aware of butt oh and i do not change gears on the fly because i get to many different responses about that but i have rode it in 5th for the first time and man i cam out the back yard and around the block to the front like a pro

S.A.L.
10-26-2008, 08:03 PM
You'll be fine.
All these guys saying "NO" have no first hand experience. They're just speculating.
I've got one on my 13 HP Kawi and I run in 5th all day long, 35 lawns a day.
I've got an older WB with only 10.5 HP and it pulls me just fine too, all day long.
Not that height has anything to do with it, but I'm 6'2" 200 pounds.
I run around in top gear and the motor at +/- 70%. Saves gas too.
I'm not walking 35 lawns a day and ZTRs are too slow for my lawns.

delphied
10-26-2008, 09:34 PM

Dont waste your money. It doesnt have the guts for it.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
10-26-2008, 10:08 PM
You'll be fine.
All these guys saying "NO" have no first hand experience. They're just speculating.
I've got one on my 13 HP Kawi and I run in 5th all day long, 35 lawns a day.
I've got an older WB with only 10.5 HP and it pulls me just fine too, all day long.
Not that height has anything to do with it, but I'm 6'2" 200 pounds.
I run around in top gear and the motor at +/- 70%. Saves gas too.
I'm not walking 35 lawns a day and ZTRs are too slow for my lawns.

ztr are tooo slow:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:
been on one:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

delphied
10-26-2008, 11:28 PM
There is no speculation on my part. I have a TTHP with 17hp. That mower is a hydro drive and it works with a Proslide but its not all that great. When I used the velke 2 that I have, I liked it even less. I also have a 44 Toro WB with 13 hp and belt drive. I weigh 205 and cant figure why anyone would try to say the performance of a sulky is just dandy behind a belt drive. Its a band aid at best and a good way to harm your mower at worst.

J&R Landscaping
10-26-2008, 11:55 PM
It should do flat land work just fine. Make sure your engine to tranny belt is adjusted correctly and in good condition!

S.A.L.
10-27-2008, 11:33 AM
ztr are tooo slow:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:
been on one:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Of course I've been on them.
They're fine for big areas but too cumbersome on my small properties where profits are high. And ZTRs take twice as long to load and unload compared to my WB.
Trust me bro, been there, done that.:weightlifter:

Frue
10-27-2008, 12:45 PM
it will pull you but get off on all hills, be prepared to replace alot of belts and probably once a year replace the trany splines....

topsites
10-27-2008, 12:58 PM
The biggest problem is usually the couplings, if you have the 36-spline fine spline
couplings they will tear up within a season or two requiring replacement.
Once that happens it is best to make the switch to the 9-spline coarse gear
couplings, whether your mower already has those or once you make the switch
the problem pretty much disappears.

Other than that I found there are some long-term issues involving the bottom pulley
and the key in the shaft plus the part inside the transmission involving needle bearings.
This problem took 5-8 years to manifest itself on mine, requiring considerable repair.
And the repair takes a day plus the parts and all sorts of fun logistics, several hundred
dollars and all DIY but I can tell you I don't walk my mower.

However, you might consider always walking it when going up a hill,
I do that with mine and I weigh 170 with a 15hp engine, so power-wise
12.5 hp is a bit on the low side but it's enough.

I used to weigh around 260 lbs and used sulkys on belt drive walk behinds. No problems, the gear box is strong enough, the belts are the weak link. If belts are adjusted correctly, it works fine. The gear boxes worst enemy is what someone already posted shifting on the fly. My 135 lb guy eats the tranny just as fast as I would, every 3-4 years.

Yup, very easy solution:
1. Either pick one gear for everything and leave it there, use the belts to
adjust for speed changes and be done with it, do NOT shift it!
2. Always come to a complete stop, then shift.

Personally speaking, I think it best to never shift, pick a gear and leave it there.

Weedas_Lawn_Care
10-27-2008, 03:02 PM
as long as your drive belt are tight and in good shape it shouldnt have a problem on hills and things you may have to switch to a lower gear but thats about it if it does have trouble just check the belts out