PDA

View Full Version : Just Say No to Gator Blades

A-Land
10-25-2008, 07:32 PM
I've been experimenting with different blade set-ups for a while now.

At the beginning of this year, I was running regular gators and would need to be sharpened about every 15 hours, I would say.

By chance, I ended up getting a pair of the Scag "eliminator" blades. They were more expensive than the gators, but I needed blades ASAP and they were what was in stock.

Low and behold, these blades now have over 75 hours on them, and look brand new. No dings, no nothing. They have even been in use for leaves for the past few weeks.

So for those who swear by the gators, try some Scags. The blades are made from much better material, and will make up their slightly higher cost in a matter of weeks.

I'll try to get a picture to prove my point......

I have a major picture update in the works with all kinds of new stuff so stay tuned :laugh::laugh::laugh:

sweetz
10-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Man I WISH I could get 15 hours out of ANY blades before sharpening them. Gotta love the sand down here!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

jkilov
10-25-2008, 08:45 PM
True, 10hrs is as far as mine go before in need of sharpening, and that's when the going is good.

I'm eager to see the 75hr pics of those blades. Are they made of chrome-moly steel or something?

A-Land
10-25-2008, 08:46 PM
10-15 I would say on the gators.....

Yep no sand at all up here!

Sym
10-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Man I WISH I could get 15 hours out of ANY blades before sharpening them. Gotta love the sand down here!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

that would be a dream!!!

A-Land
10-25-2008, 08:47 PM
True, 10hrs is as far as mine go before in need of sharpening, and that's when the going is good.

I'm eager to see the 75hr pics of those blades. Are they made of chrome-moly steel or something?

Scag is owned by a Metal crafting company, evidently it's just hardened steel. The dealer told me they are a b---- to sharpen because the steel is so hard.

sweetz
10-25-2008, 09:37 PM
that would be a dream!!!

You aren't kidding!!!!:usflag:

A-Land
10-25-2008, 09:41 PM
how many hours do you guys get??

dura to the max
10-25-2008, 09:50 PM
ive never cared for gators either...they dont mulch or cut well at all...

i try to use oem blades whenever possible too...gators are way overrated...

jsw2008
10-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I don't like gators either. I think they cut like crap. I had some on for about 5 hrs this summer and took them off because I was having to double cut and put my regular Fusion high lifts back on. The difference in cut was night and day. I will say that Gators work great on leaves and I am putting back on this week to start leaf clean ups, I just won't cut grass with them.

traman
10-25-2008, 10:15 PM
are you referring to those marbane blades?? there like 18.00 a peace no?

dura to the max
10-25-2008, 10:15 PM
^^^^jsw2008, what kind of mower you cutting with?

GravelyGuy
10-25-2008, 10:46 PM
As already said, Gators are excellent for leaves, they suck for regular cutting. I can't live without them in the fall.

The Gravely OEM marbane blades are crazy expensive, but they are really long lasting. I have a set with over 500 hours that still have a ton of life left in them.

M & MD Lawn
10-25-2008, 10:52 PM
i don't like gators either. I think they cut like crap. I had some on for about 5 hrs this summer and took them off because i was having to double cut and put my regular fusion high lifts back on. The difference in cut was night and day. I will say that gators work great on leaves and i am putting back on this week to start leaf clean ups, i just won't cut grass with them.

i agree!!!

mowerbrad
10-25-2008, 10:54 PM
I ran the gators all season this year, from start to now. They work great for leaves, when I have them working in tandem with the vac on my mower the leaves are shredded into nice mulch in the bags. But cutting regular grass I do have to slow down in order to not have to double cut. But the good thing about them is that they compact the grass more in the bags so I don't have to unload as often.

sweetz
10-26-2008, 12:01 AM
I don't like gators either. I think they cut like crap. I had some on for about 5 hrs this summer and took them off because I was having to double cut and put my regular Fusion high lifts back on. The difference in cut was night and day. I will say that Gators work great on leaves and I am putting back on this week to start leaf clean ups, I just won't cut grass with them.

I agree also.

how many hours do you guys get??

I get about 4-8. I'm in St. Petersburg, FL & the soil in this area is pretty much all sand.:cry:

Hawg City Lawns
10-26-2008, 12:45 AM
i have 2 sets of gator fusions and i got 50hrs out of one set before sharpening now im on about the 20th hour of the second set still lookin good

greenred
10-26-2008, 12:52 AM
I went to the dealer this summer to buy some new brand name gators, had been a year or two since I bought a new set. They wanted 26 or 28 bucks a piece for them and that was not for the magnums.

Ordered Gator Style blades from here http://www.expressmowerparts.com/ and they hold up and perform just as well as actual Gator blades for a fraction of the cost.

28 bucks a blade is just ******* ridiculous.

DLCS
10-26-2008, 01:06 AM
I have a set of gators collecting dust for the past 3 years. I use double blades in the fall, work really well on leaves.

dura to the max
10-26-2008, 01:14 AM
i like the exmark mulching blades for any type mulching better than gators...

corey4671
10-26-2008, 02:15 AM
I have a set of gators collecting dust for the past 3 years. I use double blades in the fall, work really well on leaves.

DO you not get a lot of blowout with doubles?

dura to the max
10-26-2008, 02:07 PM
DO you not get a lot of blowout with doubles?

i personally get a lot of blowout w/ gators...

thats why i DONT use them on leaves.

ed2hess
10-26-2008, 06:25 PM
are you referring to those marbane blades?? there like 18.00 a peace no?

Scag blades cost me $26 this week for 48" and $29 for 36" size. These are the wavy blades. On the new Scag 61" velocity deck I can go two week easy or around 35 hours between sharpening. A little less on smaller units but it depends if I am cutting in any weeds.....no weeds and the blades will bo a lot longer. I only use up one set of blades a year under very heavy use.