PDA

View Full Version : My website

ropinghorns
10-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Tell me what you think. My son in law did this one. I use it to show my customers that I am not fly-by-night. Not all of my equipment is on there and some of that is not mine , but does it give the right impression? Let me know.
http://www.lantermantractor.com

RickR1818
10-25-2008, 10:38 PM
I like it for the most part. Clean and to the point. My one suggestion would be to change the picture at the top. It is a great idea to show you and your tractor but I would like to be able to see your face. It will generate more of a connection with your visitors and potential clients.

ropinghorns
10-26-2008, 07:33 AM
Thanks, only you and my mom said the same thing.But, once you see my face, you may think I'm ugly and not want me to work for you.lol

WebMan
10-26-2008, 12:23 PM
As far as the photo, yes, your face should be out of the shadow. You are looking at the camera which is good but I can't see your eyes. Your site's entire concept seems to be to "sell" me based entirely on you and your honesty, experience, and skill. So having a facial shot conveys honesty and that's a minor thing that should be fixedbecause it is necessary to that concept.
However the main thing about the site is it is only a brochure.
That's one way to build a site and many people do that; however it doesn't really "sell".
Your site takes for granted I understand the benefits of all the things you do and why you have the right equipment and skill to do it. As long as I do; you have a good approach.
However if all I know is I want a good looking lawn or landscape that uses as little water as possible (since you are in OK I imagine that's a concern) then I don't know why I need your equipment, experience & skill. I may just as likely choose a less qualified contractor who speaks more to me by "educating" me on why I need "them" or benefits they would give me that you would--but I don't "get it" from looking at your site.

I would bet you are my best choice (as a person here looking at your site) but as "Joe Customer" there in Tulsa I don't know if I would understand why you can do what I need and provide me with the benefits I want...remember, benefits sell--features don't. And your web site is a brochure that tells me all the features of your company but you might stop and think about each page and see if there are opportunities for you to re-state or re-iullustrate your features and capabilities into the benefits I would gain by using them. Benefits save me money or time or bring me pleasure...in the most basic sense all sales decisions are about relieving "pain"... not necessarily physical pain but the pain of a crummy looking lawn, high sprinkler bills or whatever. Find a way to take the great advantages you have in experience and proper equipment and present them to me as "pain relievers" ...how those services & skills & your experience will take away whatever pains I may have from my landscape/lawn problems.

Do that and get it to the center of the page (it's another 15" monitor size site people here love) instead of the top left and make it easier for me to see and read and you could turn a "decent" brochure type site into one that generates sales.

ropinghorns
10-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Webman, you are great. That is just what I needed to hear. We will take that to heart I promise and build on those ideas. Thank you very,:dancing: very, much.

Turboguy
10-27-2008, 05:47 AM
I think it looks pretty good. I can agree with Webman's comments and one other thing, you have no meta tags except for title. You might want to add description and keywords.

From an overall standpoint it does look graphically well designed and interesting and I think you have done well.

Isobel
11-27-2008, 11:36 AM
I really like the simplicity of the site. Also that your picture is right there on every page. I would however have a picture where we can see your entire face, that is, out of the shadow.

The only other thing that was a little bothersome is the constantly changing picture on the left hand side. I found it distracting while I was reading the text.

ritchiem
11-27-2008, 12:32 PM
The site lacks content and SEO basics. The site offers a basic web presents, however only people you send there are going to see it. Without some better effort to SEO (search engine optimization) you are not going to get many potential clients via a search engine.

A couple of your images can be optimize better for faster downloads.

I would also recommend moving the nav bar under the header. I found it hard to find at first. Once I did I had no problems.

mdvaden
11-28-2008, 10:52 AM
The selling aspect of the site is fine.

This is a niche I've been in myself, and I'd call you up just based off what's on that one page. The 28 years of experience jumps right out. Your site conveys just the right amount, and I think you would fare best by explaining any additional over the phone, which means the call is the most important part. And I think your site is perfect for nabbing a caller.

Anyhow, I think it looks quite decent. It could be nice to see your face, but the way the image looks, sort of gives an authentic outdoors working with a tractor look. In other words, the photo feels right.

Share more about what you want the site to do for you. If you want it to be found via searching on the internet, the SEO thing may be worthwhile to improve.

Much depends on how big a city you are drawing from. The bigger the city and more competitors with websites, the more irrelevant SEO is anymore.

The simple example I give is this:

Say in Portland, if 100 landscapers each hire the one and only BEST website and SEO company, and that company optimizes all 100 websites, then who will be on top of the search results?

After looking for a moment, I think I agree with the suggestion about the navigation bar / menu.

WebMan
11-29-2008, 04:56 PM
WhileI am all for SEO (after all that's the kind of stuff I do sometimes). Tulsa is not, at least I would imagine, one of the most competitive markets in the nation for landscapers with websites.
SEO is going to be difficult because of the very long slideshow script, which occupies the majority of your <head> area, some basics could still be done and would certainly help. But the post above mentioned it quite well. It looks to me like you have lightened up your face, a little bit from the original photo... Maybe a little touch up work there :)... one thing I would do is change your bulleted list to a black font.
I understand the red theme of the website. However in that small text. The red does not stand out well against the white background, and so I would suggest using black, just for that bulleted list.
One thing a lot of people forget when you get into small fonts is while they may be easy for you to see; there's a lot of different quality in monitors, and a lot of people whose eyesight is not as good as it was 20 years ago (as I well know) and you don't want to make people have to squint or look for their reading glasses to see something as important as the items in that bulleted list. You've got a pretty good webpage and an example of some very nice work. So I would suggest maybe a little search engine optimization. Just to make sure you get noticed.
It shouldn't be too hard to get on the first page of most of the search engines as long as the people searching put the term Tulsa in the search.

JDUtah
11-29-2008, 07:07 PM
I took a couple mins and pulled the face out... Here are a couple pics...

Original...
http://www.billlanterman.com/images/header.jpg

And some optional touched up photo's...
If you want to use one of them I can e-mail it to you... I prefer the first or last one...

ropinghorns
11-30-2008, 08:48 AM
Can you take off some of that belly? If customers think I am thin they may think I will work for food.lol