PDA

View Full Version : Fescue Seed in December ???

AtlantaLawn
12-25-1999, 12:41 PM
Has ANYONE - seeded with Fescue (k-31) in December / January in Georgia or anywhere it is somewhat cool- Will it take and will it germinate ????<br>ATLANTA LAWN <br>AtlantaLawn@mindspring.com

larryflint
12-25-1999, 03:08 PM
Try calling your local agriculture<br>extension office or one of the<br>agronomists at the state university.

larryflint
12-25-1999, 03:09 PM
Try calling your local agriculture<br>extension office or one of the<br>agronomists at the state university.

geogunn
12-25-1999, 08:42 PM
atlanta...--I'd bet it'll work great in your area, as long as you do all the usual preparation. loosen the top layer, mulch, ferterlize, etc. I overseeded my turf style fescue and mulched some thin spots about a month ago. the babies are doing great. I agree that this time of year is not optimum but it's working for me. good luck and happy Y2K!<p>GEO

geogunn
atlanta...--I'd bet it'll work great in your area, as long as you do all the usual preparation. loosen the top layer, mulch, ferterlize, etc. I overseeded my turf style fescue and mulched some thin spots about a month ago. the babies are doing great. I agree that this time of year is not optimum but it's working for me. good luck and happy Y2K!<p>GEO

geogunn

Lawnmasters
12-26-1999, 03:31 AM
Three things are needed for grass seed to germinate. Seed to soil contact, warmth, and moisture. You can provide the contact by aerating, dethatching, etc, the moisture you can help with by watering, the warmth you just have to wait on. It takes aprox. 5 consecutive days of soil temps around 60 degrees for the seed to germinate. This time of year be patient, when the conditions are right the grass will germinate, it will just take longer than if you had done it in Oct.<p>----------<br>Greg Pierce, CTP<br>Lawnmasters Lawn & Landscape

Lawnmasters
12-26-1999, 03:32 AM
Three things are needed for grass seed to germinate. Seed to soil contact, warmth, and moisture. You can provide the contact by aerating, dethatching, etc, the moisture you can help with by watering, the warmth you just have to wait on. It takes aprox. 5 consecutive days of soil temps around 60 degrees for the seed to germinate. This time of year be patient, when the conditions are right the grass will germinate, it will just take longer than if you had done it in Oct.<p>----------<br>Greg Pierce, CTP<br>Lawnmasters Lawn & Landscape

Eric ELM
12-26-1999, 04:41 AM
I noticed there are two double posts and a triple post on this thread. I noticed after posting here there is a problem with this thread, so I notified Chuck.<br>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html<br>

Bluesteel
02-09-2003, 12:22 AM
i don't know, december is kinda late, maybe bruce32 could help you out

KirbysLawn
02-09-2003, 09:02 AM
Bluesteel....this post is almost 4 years old, I hope he found his answer by now.;) Heck, he's not even a member anymore...

Bluesteel
02-09-2003, 12:24 PM
I know, but I thought this post was old enough to merit bringing up again.

baddboygeorge
02-09-2003, 02:56 PM
i have but it didnt germeninate till spring !!