PDA

View Full Version : Book Recommendations - what's your favorite?

LawnLad
02-12-2002, 11:44 AM
I did a search and didn't find a ready answer to this question.

In the search for new information - I'm curious what books others have found helpful. I've listed a few below that I think are good reads.

Any comments on these books, or books that you wouldn't waste your time on would be helpful.

Books I would recommend:

E-Myth by Michael Gerber
You will be satisfied by Bob Tasca
The Millionaire Next Door by Tom Stanley
Guerrilla Marketing by Jay Conrad Levinson

I'll post more later once I get home to look on the shelf. But this is a good start.

augs dad
02-12-2002, 12:46 PM
Of the ones I have read, and being new to doing this as a business instead of a hobby, I found the following to be informative, real world, brutally honest and at times humorous. This guys has been there done that. Ordered from Amazon.

How to Start a Home Based Landscaping Business by Owen Dell
about $25.00

Gary in Central PA

CSRA Landscaping
02-12-2002, 12:59 PM
KJV.
Covers everything you need to know about how to conduct your business. ;)

SprinklerGuy
02-12-2002, 07:03 PM
Prefer the NIV myself.

Also, Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki

Bob Minney
02-12-2002, 07:39 PM
The Eureka Effect - the art and logic of break through thinking
David Perkins

walker-talker
02-14-2002, 11:10 AM
Lawn Care for Dummies......just kidding. This site has helped me way beyond any book possible. I truly believe this.

MATT

CSRA Landscaping
02-14-2002, 04:54 PM
Matt, I feel kind of ignant (southernese, don't worry) now. When I found this site it was truly an answer to prayer. I had no idea that anything like it even exitsed and I felt like one who had just found a diamond mine. This site has been a large help to me, I just hope that I can pass it on to someone else.

LawnLad
02-16-2002, 04:12 PM
I would agree with Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Great book. Cash Flow Quadrant was pretty good. Although Robert Kiyosaki gets a little repetitive in his books.

Richest Man in Babylon is a good, quick read.

Recently finished "Leading at the Speed of Growth" by Katherine Catlin. She talks about the different growth stages of a company and how as the owner/ceo you have to change your management/leadership style to effectively lead your company to your goals as the business is growing and changing. As the owner, you are sometimes your own worst enemy since the organization can only grow as large as your own capacity.

Anyone read any of John Maxwell's leadership books? Any thoughts on these?

JimLewis
02-19-2002, 01:56 AM
"Being Happy" is probably one of the best books ever written. It deals with how you think, act, deal with people, etc.

"Guerilla Marketing" is wonderful marketing advice. Best I've found on the subject.

"How to Win Friends and Influence People." is also phenomenal. Definitely in my top 10. Taught me a lot about dealing with people and sales. I re-read it often. And it's a shame more people don't.

"You Can't Steal Second With Your Foot On First" is an exceptional book for anyone who is or is thinking of becoming self employed. It challenges the traditional 'job-mentality' most people have.

Most specifically related to this business, I really like "All About Pruning" by Ortho. I'd say the majority of landscapers I know don't use proper pruning methods. This book educated me a lot several years ago.

And of course, I prefer the NASB to the KJV or NIV. But hey, it's all good!

eggy
02-19-2002, 10:35 AM
I ordered the E- Myth today. Should provide for some late winter reading.

RoyeDillon
02-19-2002, 10:45 AM
Can't go wrong w/ beliefs above. Pray can change things. When in doubt go the man above first & foremost & he'll guide your steps. Nilson ass. offer some good ones too.

LawnLad
03-04-2002, 06:49 AM
Just read "The One Minute Manager" by Kenneth Blanchard. It'll take about an hour to two hours to read. A very quick, informative reminder on how best to work with and manage employees. Most of it's common sense when you think about the individual elements, but how many of us really practice what the author is talking about on a day to day basis?

fshrdan
03-04-2002, 04:37 PM
I'm in the middle of _Natural Advantage: An Organic Way to Grow Your Business_, and it's a good read so far. Heeks uses organic growing methods as a model for sustainable business practices. It's a new slant on business that I think us landscapers can relate to perhaps a little better than others since we're familiar with the systems he draws from. i.e. soil types, N cycle, etc.

Also, _7 Habits of Highly Effective People_ is a great book which I need to read and apply more often.