PDA

View Full Version : How necessary is a logo?

born2farm
10-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Looking ahead to advertising next year and still being in high school I'm trying to get my name out there but cant afford to spend a lot of money. I have tried designing my own logos but I dont like the way they turn out and dont give a professional look. My first idea was just to make a sign to put on the side of my trailer. It would just look something like this.

GOODMAN LAWN
AND LANDSCAPE
(419) 210-4***
LAWN MOWING, LAWN CLEANUPS,
LANDSCAPING AND SNOW PLOWING

This is just an idea and just wanted to get an opinion on if a logo is really needed.

DLAWNS
10-26-2008, 11:28 AM
I like the idea of a logo because it is yours and is unique. However if you are still in school and trying to save some money your idea is just fine.

Woody82986
10-26-2008, 11:48 AM
I've been toying around with getting a logo designed for a couple years. Just never pulled the trigger. I think that maybe an offseason aquisition for me. haha

NewHorizon's Land
10-27-2008, 10:05 AM
If you plan on staying in this for a long time get a logo ASAP. Use it on EVERYTHING. Shirts, trucks, business cards, letterhead, trailers, whatever you can put the logo do it. Get your truck lettered or a window decal even if its a small one. You need people to start seeing it and keep recoginizing the logo. Have it done professionally its not that much in the long run.

barefootlawnsandlandscape
10-27-2008, 10:29 AM
I agree with New Horizon. If you are building a business you need to brand your name. Get a logo and put it on everything, trucks, shirts, hats, hoodies, etc. You want people to see it over and over. If you have a good one they will remember it. Get a professional to do it. There is only so much you can do with Microsoft programs in the office package. When they see it in the yellowpages or online, they will remember the fact that they saw you in action.

How many successful businesses can you think of that don't have a logo. I can't think of any. Wal-Mart may be the only one, but they have recently changed their store front to include a logo that looks like a sun.

atasteofnature
10-27-2008, 10:37 AM
If your logo is going on your truck I just know around here in Nothern Indiana that DOT is cracking down on business logo trucks without DOT numbers. I like the logo and put it on everything. I just thought make sure in your logo order for your truck include your DOT numbers if that is something they are looking for in your area.

NewHorizon's Land
10-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Walmart has a logo. Its the smile face and the way the write walmart. Always in caps, blah, blah. Anyway get the logo made and eget some nice shirts and hats done and wear them everywhere.

TreePro
10-27-2008, 11:45 AM
NewHorizens is right. Definitely get a logo and use it on EVERYTHING. Every estimate, check, truck, shirt, etc. The more people see it the better.

Another idea, maybe before you pull the trigger on the logo, you might want to consider a few alternate names and motto's. A catchy phrase sometimes help people remember your name when they otherwise wouldn't and/or will get stuck in people's heads. Just a thought.

NewHorizon's Land
10-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Tree Pro is right about the name. We used to be called Justin's Lawn Care. It was ok. When we switched it made a big difference. A graphic artist will be able to help you with the name as well.

barefootlawnsandlandscape
10-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Forgot about the smile face. I guess I was thinking about their store front and semi-trucks. They just have WAL-MART on them.

born2farm
10-27-2008, 10:36 PM
you guys all brought up very good points. the only reason i am kind of leanient on buying a logo right now because right now im only looking as far as the end of high school do to possibly future careers and schooling. if i really get some jobs soon i will probably bite the bullet.

and on the name the biggest reason i used my last name is because we live in a small city and i have a very well known and well respected last name.

lawnjocky
10-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Be careful choosing choosing a logo and motto. I say this from personal experience. I have both and while they do get noticed, they can be limiting in the type of work attracted. I keep telling myself I need to change my own but after 20 years I worry re branding my business could be tricky.

NewHorizon's Land
10-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Lawnjockey I agree that trying to rebrand your business now would be difficult but if you want to it could be done. A marketing company could really help with this. I would say if you want to change and you plan on sticking with it for a little longer do it.