PDA

View Full Version : Flyer Critique

J.Henderson
02-12-2002, 03:29 PM
This is my first attempt for a flyer. It may be a little rough.

stslawncare
02-12-2002, 03:46 PM
it says something to the effect of make it trimmer on the other side. something about that just doesnt sound right.

J.Henderson
02-12-2002, 04:10 PM
Thats what I mean about being rough....What is a better phrase for trimmer

SprinklerGuy
02-12-2002, 06:51 PM
That looks real familiar......hmmmmmm

Stonehenge
02-12-2002, 08:04 PM
Those two do look similar - template maybe?

I'm not a big fan of exclamation marks!!!!! At least not a bunch of them. But that's my personal taste, and who knows if that means anything to the market at large?

I'm wondering about 'trimmer' also. I think I get what you're trying to say, but am struggling to come up with something better. What are all the attributes of a lawn you maintain? Greener? More lush? Thick? Full? Clean, neat in appearance? Try to turn that into a new splash line.

I looked in the dictionary and trimmer (adv) is a word, but it seems just a bit awkward in this case.

gogetter
02-12-2002, 08:16 PM
Jeff, "Greener". The grass is GREENER on your side of the fence.

heygrassman
02-12-2002, 08:40 PM
J, I would remove the snow removal, unless you are expecting another significant accumulation before spring. This could leave room for Apps if you are going to do them, Aeration, Dethaching,....

just a thought.

jf

groundsguy1970
02-12-2002, 08:52 PM
I would NEVER write ANYTHING that even HINTED @ the fact that I might not be there at their disposal ( whether I am or not) EVER,EVER,EVER.....it shows low self esteem.
:D REMEMBER.......you are THE MAN.:cool:
You take care of things and remain @ the top every minute of the day. You are cool, calm, and collected under all conditions.
NEVER show ANYTHING BUT THAT!!!

:cool: peace:cool:

SprinklerGuy
02-12-2002, 09:18 PM
Groundsguy.....who are you talking to?

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
02-12-2002, 10:37 PM
Allright jeff im going to be a little rough on ya b/c ii wish someone would have been a little rough with my first flyers many years ago..... First I wouldnt put your Adress on any flyer unless you have an office building, u dont want crazy people driving by your house and u want it to look as professional as possible. Second, dont have them fill anything out!! make it as user friendly as posible, put your # in huge font at the bottom so its very visible. Third, colors are important... u want something thats going to catch the customers eye and intice them to read more. Fourth, Pick a logo and stick it on your ad. last but not least have a printing company help u with the design and print, it will look a lot more professional Heres a pic of the flyer im currently using:) it kind of got distorted when i scaned it... good luck!

1MajorTom
02-12-2002, 11:05 PM
Eric,

Your flyer looks good, but you do have a few spelling errors.
No, I'm not trying to be a wise butt here, because I make spelling mistakes too. But it's better someone tell you so you can fix them. I do think spelling is important when trying to make a first impression.

Installation should have 2 L's
Maintenance is spelled like this.
Can't tell from your scan or not if residential has a "t" in it, but if it doesn't, it is supposed to.

Then your last line.

I just think it would sound better if it said this:

"The Quality you would exPECT from a Five Star Company".
You have except

My intentions by posting this are not to be malicious. I just know that if I posted something, I would want someone to tell me if they saw something wrong with it.

SprinklerGuy
02-12-2002, 11:22 PM
N/M

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
02-12-2002, 11:25 PM
crap...i scanned the wrong one...thats the messed up one. our printer ran 2500 like that...heres the corrected one

J.Henderson
02-13-2002, 12:11 AM
Here is updated flyer after the critiquing

Nebraska
02-13-2002, 01:04 AM
Guys this is rather mundane but I say "flyer" and my printer says "flier"......I have a line that says "redeem this flyer....." he wants to say "redeem this flier...."

What is the correct word for the piece of paper that I am using to convey information?

Or does it even really matter?

LawnLad
02-13-2002, 10:52 AM
You say po-ta-to, I say po-ta-toe....

Websters: 3rd definition of Flier - an advertising circular. For Flyer - it lists it as a variation of flier. I guess either one works.

J Henderson - I like your updated version. I'd agree on some of the earlier critiques.

Here's a suggestion if you guys aren't doing it... create an Archives for all of your printed material. I look back at what we did 10 plus years ago and it's a hoot.

Another suggestion, collect your competitors information. You'll be able to emulate some of the good points they make in their flyers/fliers if you like certain elements.

Lastly... if you've got the extra dollars, use a professional graphic designer to do your layouts. The $100 to $200 you'll spend with them will buy you a lot more credibility with those that you're trying to target. Thinking we can do our own graphic design work is like a customer thinking that the Scott's 4-Step program is going to give them a golf course quality turf. Let the professionals do what they do best!