PDA

View Full Version : Does Anybody Here Use an Aeravator

beaglegun
10-27-2008, 08:44 AM
I've been thinking seriously about getting an Aeravator. Does anybody have any experience with one. How does it work on less then soft turf and how does it work loosening skinned infields? What's the price of a 60" with a seeder?

lx665
10-30-2008, 06:09 AM
I have the Seed-avator and it does an excellent job. It will break up dry hard soil. One reason I purchased one was it allowed me to work when a regular aerator would bounce off the ground. I was also able to reduce the amount of seed due to a higher germantion rate. They are not cheap and you need to call a sale rep for a current price.

john

ICT Bill
10-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Beagle I do not own one but talk to a lot of lawn and landscape companies across the US, sports turf included. I am told once used you will never go back to anything else. I am told they are provide excellent results in very tough soils

STRINGALATION
11-04-2008, 02:34 AM
i have been drawn to the add for those and i have liked it for some odd reason. they had a model at the expo and i like how it rotates . reminded of a harley rake that also goes side to side while it spins

muddstopper
11-09-2008, 11:01 AM
I own a First Products tow behind Areovator. Best tool I have ever came across for overseeding. The first areovator I demo'ed was an attachment specificly to fit my Ventrac tractor, It mounted on the front of the machine with a two point hitch. The attachment had its own seed box. The price tag on the attachment was around $7grand, which was way more than I thought it would be worth. My mistake. I instead purchased the tow behind unit for a little over $2grand. With the attachment, for the tractor, I could cover about 1 acre an hour, includeing broadcasting the fertilizer and lime. With the tow behind, I now have to broadcast the fertilizer, lime and seed, which slows down the coverage time. Also the attachment was easier to manuver around trees, and tight spaces, the tow behind means I am always wiggeling to get those tight spots.

As for the performance, the harder and dryer the soil, the better the areovator performs. In wet mushy soil, it will do a good job of setting the seed, but I feel it does little to releave compaction in that type of situation. Vibrateing soil and water makes mud, but you will get a heck of a stand of grass if you put out seed before you areovate. In dry conditions, the vibrateing tines will fracture the soil in every direction and will actually help level out any bumps or dips in the surface. If you broadcast seed and siol amendments before areovating, you can actually get a pretty good amount of incorporation without haveing to till the lawn up. The surface will be smooth and have dimples looking like a golfball. In each dimple the seed will germinate leaving the lawn to look like it was plugged instead of broadcast seeded, but wil quickly fill in. I have also found that where the seed germinates in the dimples, the roots generally extend further down in the soil. Good root penetration equals better drought resistance.

I have also used the areovator to crimp straw after seeding. The tines will push the straw into each dimpled area locking it into place. If I am new seeding instead of overseeding, I will often just broadcast everything and then blow the straw, and then run over the area with the areovator to lock everything in place.

Another advantage I have found using the areovator is when doing prep work for new lawns. My area is extremly rocky, the more you dig, the more rock you pull up. Its pretty much impossible to get rid of all the rocks. With the areovator, I dont have to dig as deep and just bascily smooth the area with my harley rake and let the vibrateing tines breakup the hard pan when I am thru. This means less debris to hual off and a much faster preptime. Even if i am hydroseeding an area, I like to run over the soil first with the areovator. The little dimples the machine leaves in the soil acts as great anchor points for the hydromulch to stick to. This equals less erosions and also provides a place for the water to penetrate the soil. The dimple areas are also slower to dry out and require less irrigation.

I dont know if you can tell by my post, but I really like my areovator and consider it the best areation tool, as well as best overseeder, on the market. As well as being a little more versitile than any other areation or overseeding tool on the market. I just wish I hadnt of been so tight and had of bought the attachment instead of the tow behind unit. The unit paid for itself the first year and the only repairs have been to replace the belts, one time in 4 years.

syzer
11-09-2008, 07:05 PM
I would like to pick up the first choice walk behind aerator (ride on). I called them up, those puppies are 15k.

jmoore16135
11-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Real simple, works great on compacted skinned infields and compacted soil in turf areas. Get one and let us know how much you love it later.

greenskeeper44
11-14-2008, 08:36 PM
It does a real nice job at poking holes and getting seed in those holes. Id rather use a powerseeder because you get more consistent coverage instead of seed just coming up in the holes. Its good for low maintenance areas like long rough.

ICT Bill
11-14-2008, 09:52 PM
I keep coming back to the "it depends" answer
Budget, site, acreage, it is a very nice tool to have in the tool box though