PDA

View Full Version : Can you seed in Va at this time?!?!

nitro121
10-28-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't do landscaping. I mainly cut lawns and do aerations/seeding/fert treatments. But my worker found someone who needs a total lawn renovation. Now I think it's to cold to plant anything right now. But what do I know.

He says that Rye will grow in this kind of weather....that there is plenty of time for it to germinate. Please help. I hope he doesn't sell it to the customer. He was going to sell them this "starter" package for the winter and then come back in the spring w/ an "aggressive" package to get them some grass.

Any help is appreciated. I'm in between Richmond and DC. And it is down in the 30's at night and 50's during the day.

Peace

CHARLES CUE
10-28-2008, 09:34 PM
i would wait till next year soil temp would be to low you dont want a unhappy customer
Charles Cue

ICT Bill
10-30-2008, 05:45 PM
I don't know where you are in VA, it has mountains on one end with ski resorts and an ocean on the other that is zone 8, it depends on where you are. If you are around DC we don't see frozen ground until mid January usually. There is plenty of time for the seed to get established at the end of october, September was very dry, usually the best time to renovate but not this year. We'll probably see 8 or 10 days of 70's between now and January

ODU Lawn Man
10-31-2008, 10:01 AM
We just did a lawn renovation in Manassas about a week ago and the grass is coming up pretty well.

ICT Bill
11-11-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm just north of you in Maryland, the soil temps haven't gotten below 60 yet. last nightwas a hard freeze so they may have dipped into they sixties but the sun is still pretty strong

weather looks like you could seed successfully for another couple weeks

karlgrooms
11-11-2008, 10:36 AM
I don't know where you are in VA, it has mountains on one end with ski resorts and an ocean on the other that is zone 8, it depends on where you are. If you are around DC we don't see frozen ground until mid January usually. There is plenty of time for the seed to get established at the end of october, September was very dry, usually the best time to renovate but not this year. We'll probably see 8 or 10 days of 70's between now and January

Here in WNC it has unusually dry since August.. I've been wanting to aerate and over seed since Sept. but it has just been to hard and dry. Seems like the rain has been splitting North and South of the area. If we get the fore casted rain, I'm thinking about aerating and seed this weekend. If not it will be the spring.

I think you should have some success but time is wearing thin.

greenskeeper44
11-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Last year my partner killed his yard around mid september we got too busy to seed it. It was seeded Nov 1 and on christmas eve I pulled up and there were seedling sprouts. It slowly developed over the winter and matured nicely over spring. This was Barenbrug RTF tall fescue blend. Were in louisville, ky so similar climates to Virginia. I think its better to seed it now rather than spring because you at least get root growth through the winter and spring where as spring seeding you only have one season of growth before entering the summer season. Also it doesnt mess up your pre-emergence. Just make sure you tell them to be patient and wait for it to mature in the spring

topsites
11-13-2008, 01:18 AM
I would wait until after the leaves are all down, and cleaned up.
I'm outside of Richmond and around here we do September, October, December.

Otherwise you'll just risk messing up the seed as most won't germinate fully
until spring, but to answer the question yes, you can.

Also agree better now than waiting to spring, even if most of it does little until then it has that chance to sprout at first sign,
waiting until spring is all right in some cases but you would be taking a chance of missing that perfect window.

Smallaxe
11-13-2008, 08:17 AM
Up here I just did a dormant seeding after a good cleaning of the ground. I will add more in the spring.

Is that even a valid concept for you guys down South?
If you would do a dormant seeding in January as the ground starts to freeze, it would seem that seeding a couple months prior should work, for getting established yet this season.