PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite PC software for flyers, graphics etc.

Exact Rototilling
10-29-2008, 12:03 AM
And . . . I was also wondering if MS Office 2003 is better than 2007. As we all know newer isn't always better.

Also what are your opinions on MS Publisher specifically? Any better options out there for the PC?

Team-Green L&L
10-29-2008, 12:07 AM
The standard in graphic design is Photoshop CS3, not to be confused with PS Elements (a program designed for picture editing). I will use Illustrator for elements like dotted lines, waves, and other small elements. There is really no comparable product for the beginner all the way to the advanced artist.

Just be sure to create a vector drawing of any logos or graphics that may end up on signs, vinyls, and other large print. Vector art is the only digital graphic that will expand without a distortion in pixel quality.

Turboguy
10-29-2008, 07:25 AM
Personally I would not waste my time and money on MS Publisher. I think the question is, exactly what are you hoping to accomplish with the program? It would help give a better answer.

If I was going to go with one program I would go with Photoshop as Team-Green suggested. It would let you work with photos, text, etc and layout any graphics you need for ad's signs etc. The learning curve is not bad. CS3 is the standard but older versions do a pretty good job. I am using CS2 at the moment but one computer I use would not install CS-2 and I use my old PhotoShop 5.5 on that one and can do pretty much the same things. You could pick up an older version of Photoshop on Ebay pretty reasonably.

Illustrator would be the best choice for designing logo's and the like although you could do it in PhotoShop. I question how much time you will spend designing logos so to me it would be less important. The learning curve for Illustrator is a bit steeper as well. I have Illustrator and don't use it that often.

I also have Pagemaker which would be similar to Publisher and used to use it a lot but much of what I used to do in Pagemaker I can do better in Photoshop. One of the things you might find in using Publisher is whoever you want to submit the file to may not accept Publisher files. Quark Express seems to be the standard in that type of program with Pagemaker in second place and little support for publisher. Quark may have a conversion for Publisher files. I do have Quark as well but don't use it. If you decide to go that way I can check and see if there is a converter.

KingOfCupCar20
10-29-2008, 01:37 PM
paint.net is an excellent alternative to photoshop i use it numerous times a day...best of all its FREE!...it has damn near every option photoshop does.