PDA

View Full Version : Major Frustration

Gravel Rat
10-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Ya I'am getting a little friggin cranky. The chances of getting back into running equipment or driving truck is going down the drain.

Talking with one of the guys I worked with working in the dirt said things are pretty slow. He might be laid off because the contractor doesn't have any work lined up.

Its getting ******* disgusting how slow its gotten there has been slow times but its getting to the point it may drive contractors out of business.

Frustrated that I haven't been getting any clean up work. No hauling jobs no lumber deliveries. My gov't job is shift work and its taking its toll on me the 60 hour work shifts.

Yep just venting because I'am a little pizzed :dizzy:

Stuck at a job that I can't take anymore but can't quit because there is no jobs out there.

I don't know what to do I'am ending up with all the same stress and shift work problems my co workers have.

The only job openings is working for the highways maintenance contractor and I will take a 5 dollar wage drop and the management sucks donkey **** it is also shift work.

Moving to another area in B.C. isn't really going to make much difference if I was going to move it would be Vancouver Island but they are experiencing the same job losses.

I'am not moving to Crackouver you might aswell put a gun to your head Vancouver is a horrible place to live.

They say you should do what you want to do for a living isn't happening :cry:

iron peddler
10-29-2008, 04:27 PM
i think you confused this site with canadasucks.com, good luck:usflag:

AintNoFun
10-29-2008, 05:12 PM
instead of wasting the time to retype a a new post, just put a link to one of your old posts, there all the same!!!

Lawnworks
10-29-2008, 05:28 PM
What type of response are you looking for?

grassmanvt
10-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Yup, its as good as over, might as well shoot yourself now, no hope, all is over. Whoa is me.:hammerhead: Are you looking for sympathy or attention, you'll get none here.

Duramax8832
10-29-2008, 06:57 PM
The economic crunch is worldwide..I don't understand how some guys figure they are the only ones affected.

stuvecorp
10-29-2008, 08:13 PM
i think you confused this site with canadasucks.com, good luck:usflag:

That's funny.

(sorry to the other north of the border guys)

all ferris
10-29-2008, 08:14 PM
you want some cheese with your whine?

And if you're looking for sympathy I'll tell you where it's at - right between sh*t and syphilis in the dictionary.

ccstrebe
10-29-2008, 10:50 PM
What good timing. Just today I was thinking it had been a couple of weeks since your last post on the same subject, which had been a couple of weeks before that one, which had been a couple of weeks before that one, etc, etc., etc.

instead of wasting the time to retype a a new post, just put a link to one of your old posts, there all the same!!!

What he said.

ksss
10-29-2008, 10:58 PM
What good timing. Just today I was thinking it had been a couple of weeks since your last post on the same subject, which had been a couple of weeks before that one, which had been a couple of weeks before that one, etc, etc., etc.

What he said.

I see you newer guys are catching on. What I have never understood since 03' was he gets his lunch money taken after every one of these rants, and yet he continues to author them like it was the first one, oblivious to the responses and obvious lack of empathy displayed by his audience.

hosejockey2002
10-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Yup, its as good as over, might as well shoot yourself now, no hope, all is over.

He's in Canada, he can't get a gun up there....

cddva
10-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Five surgeons from big cities are
discussing who makes the best patients
to operate on.

The first surgeon, from New York, says,
'I like to see accountants on
my operating table because when you open
them up, everything inside
is numbered.'

The second, from Chicago, responds,
'Yeah, but you should try
electricians! Everything inside them is
color coded.'

The third surgeon, from Dallas, says,
'No, I really think librarians
are the best, everything inside them is
in alphabetical order.'

The fourth surgeon, from Los Angeles
chimes in: 'You know, I like
construction workers. Those guys always
understand when you have
a few parts left over.'

But the fifth surgeon, from Washington,
DC shut them all up when he
observed: 'You're all wrong. Politicians
are the easiest to operate on.
There's no guts, no heart, no balls, no
brains and no spine, and the
head and the asz are interchangeable.'

GR, have you considered a career in politics?

doubleedge
10-30-2008, 12:32 AM
I see you newer guys are catching on. What I have never understood since 03' was he gets his lunch money taken after every one of these rants, and yet he continues to author them like it was the first one, oblivious to the responses and obvious lack of empathy displayed by his audience.

:laugh::laugh:

Gravel Rat
10-30-2008, 04:25 AM
Another thing pizzed me off at work today frigging manager leaves a note saying the employees are using too much paper towel in the lunch room.

They gave us some cheap crap that you can't even wipe your face with it. It so cheap if you spill anything on the table it takes more paper towel to clean up the mess. The managers are told they have to saving money. They will probably cut back on our bottled water for the water machine we can't drink the tap water. It is frustrating to have managers that treat you like a pile of dog poo. You rarely get any respect. You try do a good job but you don't get recognized for that your just a employee and they let you know it.

Like I said I could get a job with the highways maintenance contractor tommorow if I wanted. The management is so bad they wonder why they can't keep employees.

The B.C. gov't stupid idea years ago to privatize highway maintenance and ever since then its gone down hill. A good steady gov't job is now done by private contractors every 4 years the contracts get bid lower and lower. The owners of the companies take the money fill their pockets and do the bare minimum required. Most contracts are so low the road maintenance suffers like roads not being plowed in the winter. To save money they won't put salt on the road.

With the current work situation truck drivers might be force to work for 16 dollars per hour. There is very little work for truck drivers or owner operators. It went from enough work to keep a dump truck going 10 hours a day 7 days a week to parked and take the insurance off the truck.

Equipment operators will be laid off for the first time ever in their life. Most of these operators that have been running excavators for 20-30 years never been laid off first time ever in their career. A eye opener for these guys now are facing a lay off till further notice.

The contractors that have been business since 1960 have never seen it so bad that they might have to sell everything off to stay afloat. These guys have been through all the cycles and this one is the worst drop.

As the month goes by things keep getting slower contractors machines sit not making money but the big payments keep rolling in. I don't know how these guys can sleep at night.

Even the price of scrap steel dropped to 25 dollars a ton from 290 a ton 2 months ago, so excavators are not even worth anything in scrap value :laugh:

The scrap yards are laying off employees can't keep them working with the low scrap prices. The price of scrap hasn't been that low since the 1960s.

RockSet N' Grade
10-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Groveling Rot, there is nothing wrong with you except you may need to be rewired. Join the military and they will show you what to do with those fuzzy dice of yours.........

larryinalabama
10-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Groveling Rot, there is nothing wrong with you except you may need to be rewired. Join the military and they will show you what to do with those fuzzy dice of yours.........

Canada doesnt have a Military

Gravel Rat
10-30-2008, 03:48 PM
I don't like war so I won't be joining no army.

The way it looks now if your in construction industry you will be lucky to have a job by December. As for the excavation contractors they might have to call it quits. When its getting down to 1 job a month its pretty hard to keep going. Re-mortage the house and lay off all the employees sell off equipment for a loss.

People are broke simple as that the gov't over taxes people, 90% of your money goes to tax. The cost of living far exceeds the wages. House prices are un-attainable for the average person.

I guess the gov't will realize they screwed up when there is no good paying jobs left and everybody is un-employeed.

Gravel Rat
10-31-2008, 03:11 AM
Well found out today another gravel mine is going to start laying off employees no gravel sales. The gravel sales to the US market has dropped off and the B.C. market is dropped off.

Another place to find a job scratched off the list the mines were doing pretty good now they have to cut back on the staff. Might even shut the whole operation down if it gets any slower.

YardPro
10-31-2008, 07:18 AM
the sky is falling.... the sky is falling.....

gravel rat.. answer this question...

do you read the responses that people write...

you seem to just ignore the fact that most people in your threads point out that you are constantly posting the same negative thread, just reworded....

It's getting old...

YellowDogSVC
10-31-2008, 09:55 AM
GR-- Go to daveramsey.com and look around. You may find some hope there.

Gravel Rat
10-31-2008, 01:43 PM
Would you like to see guys you know loose their jobs ?

Not much you can do when the employers have no work. Even the largest gravel mine company in the world is feeling the drop in the economy.

Lets put it this way many guys don't know if they will have a job next year if the trend continues. Who knows if their will be any excavation contractors left if the trend continues. Nobody is spending money. Realtors have been hit pretty hard go from record house sales to no sales.

You can keep saying I think the sky is falling. When your seeing friends loose their jobs and the ones that are working are worried about loosing their job. When you have a familly to feed and bills to pay that gets pretty stressfull.

All I know it looks like I will be stuck working for the gov't for awhile untill the B.C. ecomomy recovers 2-3 years from now.

Maybe when you guys in the USA start loosing your jobs you might think there is a problem.

grassmanvt
10-31-2008, 04:12 PM
None of us has denied trying times, but none of us bitches constantly about it like yourself and some of us even attempt to change things rather than be complacent. Personally, I've been buying up equipment at relatively cheap prices. Using some and selling some when its needed. Cash talks. One persons problem is another's advantage.

Gravel Rat
10-31-2008, 04:30 PM
All the contractors are in debt because they have bought new equipment over the last 5 years to replace worn out equipment they started with.

Right now most people are strapped for cash with credit cards maxed to the limit and large bank loans.

People went crazy with spending money its why this boom has crashed hard and hurts.

Most excavation contractors have minimum 2 grand a month equipment payments most contractors have 5 grand payment each month for equipment.