PDA

View Full Version : Overseeding Job for Moron customer

corey4671
10-29-2008, 07:17 PM
One of my regulars calls me up and says they want to overseed. Fine. Shoot them a price for core aeration and seeding. Picked a day last week when rain was in te forecast for a couiple days later. I tell the customer that the rain will help, but that they need to keep the soil damp to aid in germination. They say fine. Fine. I tried to call yesterday to check and see that they were watering but got no answer. Called again this morning and the husband answered. I asked if they were watering....no...they have been in Florida all week and won't be back until Saturday. :hammerhead: Rain is in the forecast the middle of next week but this yard needs water. What should I do....There is no irrigation in place either.

dave k
10-29-2008, 07:33 PM
I would wait for them to come home and water their lawn and also sell them an irrigation system, you did your part now its time they do theirs.

Richard Martin
10-29-2008, 07:34 PM
I offer no warranty on grass seed for this exact reason. I can only do the work, I can't make the customer do anything except pay (hopefully).

ALC-GregH
10-29-2008, 08:09 PM
I tell them that I can't guarantee the seed will grow as water is the key ingredient and I'm not the person putting the water down. I also tell them to cover the entire lawn, not just a spot where they put a sprinkler at and turn it on. It has to be moved constantly to cover all the soil or seeded area.

topsites
10-29-2008, 08:14 PM
I would be so stupid as to suggest waiting until after it rains,
then again that probably makes too much sense.

STIHL GUY
10-29-2008, 09:24 PM
its their job to water not yours

Kennedy Landscaping
10-29-2008, 09:39 PM
I did an overseeding job, took me quite a while and they wont keep it watered no matter how many times i tell them. It didn't grow. Kinda made me mad

lawnprosteveo
10-29-2008, 09:43 PM
I quit overseeding for that reason. I just got tired of all the work Id do and then come back later to find a dry dusty yard. Then they would act like I did something wrong... Just not worth it to me.

jsw2008
10-29-2008, 09:56 PM
I actually charge a extra and buy a timer for their sprinklers if they don't have irrigation systems. If the yard is large and the sprinklers have to be moved, I charge extra and go move the sprinklers for them. People are absolute morons when it comes to watering and I have found it is easier to charge them and take care of the watering for them so I come out looking like I know what I'm doing when I overseed.

corey4671
10-29-2008, 10:30 PM
I tell them that I can't guarantee the seed will grow as water is the key ingredient and I'm not the person putting the water down. I also tell them to cover the entire lawn, not just a spot where they put a sprinkler at and turn it on. It has to be moved constantly to cover all the soil or seeded area.

I told them that as well...this is just under an acre and a half of turf so it would have to be moved. These people...the wife especially drive me nuts. She has a champaign taste with a Pabst Blue Ribbon budget.

I actually thought about offering to go buy some sprinklers...they don't own any..and have them pay me for them and to go and water the freakin yard....I put down enough seed that IF it will take root...they'll have a nice yard!

Tharrell
10-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Print these responses out and send them to your moron customer, maybe you'll get their attention. Tony

corey4671
10-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Print these responses out and send them to your moron customer, maybe you'll get their attention. Tony

they wouldn't get it that the thread is about them..

Tharrell
10-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Give me their email, I'll clue them in. he he he

corey4671
10-30-2008, 09:06 PM
Give me their email, I'll clue them in. he he he

umm...yeah...NO

brucec32
10-31-2008, 02:28 AM
It's more work but a powerseeder will put the seed down so that even w/o much irrigation you get pretty good results. Of course most won't be willing to pay for it. But in dry conditions or where there is not a practical way to irrigate (here we have restrictions that prohibit it) it's a way to get it to survive.

MOW ED
10-31-2008, 07:05 AM
I don't know if you are planting cool season, or something else but up here I have had people do the same thing but this time of year it isn't too bad. Its usually cool and the sun is not very strong, the soil has moisture and holds it quite well even after aeration. bruse32 has the right idea for survivability as seed to soil contact makes grass with water of course. Broadcast seeding (bird feeding) in itself has about a 20% germination rate at best. With aeration its a little better but 20 out of 100 grass seeds making it isn't great.
I watched some people seed bare soil, throw straw and leave. The straw blew away after a big wind but there is still small chutes starting to come up.

You did your part and then some for your customer. You may try what I do for future reference. See what the customers wants really are. Explain that aeration is good and broadcast overseeding will give some results. If they are interested in increasing the rate of germination then sell powerseeding at a higher price. No contracts, no guarantees but it would not be a bad idea to give the customer a sheet of recommendations such as don't scalp the lawn, water, fertilize, water, you see what I am saying.
Most of my customers will just want aeration and broadcast overseed and that is fine because I have given them options and educated them a little on what to expect. I think your customers lawn will be fine.

corey4671
10-31-2008, 09:42 AM
I don't know if you are planting cool season, or something else but up here I have had people do the same thing but this time of year it isn't too bad. Its usually cool and the sun is not very strong, the soil has moisture and holds it quite well even after aeration. bruse32 has the right idea for survivability as seed to soil contact makes grass with water of course. Broadcast seeding (bird feeding) in itself has about a 20% germination rate at best. With aeration its a little better but 20 out of 100 grass seeds making it isn't great.
I watched some people seed bare soil, throw straw and leave. The straw blew away after a big wind but there is still small chutes starting to come up.

You did your part and then some for your customer. You may try what I do for future reference. See what the customers wants really are. Explain that aeration is good and broadcast overseeding will give some results. If they are interested in increasing the rate of germination then sell powerseeding at a higher price. No contracts, no guarantees but it would not be a bad idea to give the customer a sheet of recommendations such as don't scalp the lawn, water, fertilize, water, you see what I am saying.
Most of my customers will just want aeration and broadcast overseed and that is fine because I have given them options and educated them a little on what to expect. I think your customers lawn will be fine.

yeah this little backwoods town will NOT pay for powerseeding. These folks about freaked as it was at what it would cost....

I had to educate the manager of the local co-op yesterday on the proper rates for overseeding with ryegrass...he was trying to tell me that 100lbs would be MORE than enough to seed 80k sq ft of turf. That might be ok for pasture...NOT turf!!!:hammerhead: this is the tyoe of mentality I ahve to deal with around here!!!

corey4671
11-14-2008, 10:08 AM
update....I seeded this yard on Oct 22. It sat for a week with no rain or watering at all. We had a decent rain last Friday and we've had rain almost every day this week. This was a mixture of tall fescue and annual ryegrass. So far, I've really not seen anything. Starting to get a bit concerned.

david shumaker
11-14-2008, 04:32 PM
update....I seeded this yard on Oct 22. It sat for a week with no rain or watering at all. We had a decent rain last Friday and we've had rain almost every day this week. This was a mixture of tall fescue and annual ryegrass. So far, I've really not seen anything. Starting to get a bit concerned.

What has the temperature there been? You overseeded a little late and if it's cold, the soil may not be warm enough for the seed to germinate. I try to seed here bt the middle of Oct. at the latest.

tilawn
11-14-2008, 05:28 PM
just wondering did you also put down an application of fertilizer to help that new seed get a boost?

corey4671
11-14-2008, 07:12 PM
What has the temperature there been? You overseeded a little late and if it's cold, the soil may not be warm enough for the seed to germinate. I try to seed here bt the middle of Oct. at the latest.

ever since I put it down we've had wild temperature swings...start the week off in the 70's the weekends have gotten down close to freezing. bad thing was we had no rain for a week after I seeded it. I wouldn't say it's been COLD and the ground temp should still be warm...grass is still growing.

corey4671
11-14-2008, 07:14 PM
just wondering did you also put down an application of fertilizer to help that new seed get a boost?

are you kiddin me? they about had a heartattack at what the seed and aeration cost!

KS_Grasscutter
11-14-2008, 07:21 PM
are you kiddin me? they about had a heartattack at what the seed and aeration cost!

Wait... you seeded without fertilizing?

tilawn
11-14-2008, 09:16 PM

IMO it is kind of useless to put any seed down without some fertilizer I always just figure it in the package price, take it all or none their choice.

david shumaker
11-15-2008, 08:28 PM
I always use starter fertlizer at the same time I aerate and seed.

Armadillolawncare
11-16-2008, 12:49 PM
I also include fert with my overseed bids. About 6 weeks later I will hit it with another round of fert to get it really to fill in nicely. That 2nd shot of fert really helps thicken it up.

1wezil
11-16-2008, 01:00 PM
I did an overseeding job, took me quite a while and they wont keep it watered no matter how many times i tell them. It didn't grow. Kinda made me mad

I had one of those nuts last year I aerated and reseeded there lawn and then no body watered it .then they moved in and said the lawn looked like **** and that I didn't do anything I said I would do with there lawn . It took for ever for them to pay . we no longer deal with them and now this fall they had someone put in some real cheap irrigation for them because they found out the grass looks so much better with water ! DA ! The water shoots out from the house over the sidewalk and on to the road about 8ft a real CHEAP SET UP !

corey4671
11-16-2008, 01:28 PM
sounds like I need to go back and sell them on some fert huh?

tilawn
11-16-2008, 06:48 PM
sounds like I need to go back and sell them on some fert huh?

ummmm Most definitately i generally use 20-10-10

Barefoot James
11-16-2008, 07:45 PM
I never use NPK and have had the most success of my life seeding yards. The secret is good prep work, educating the client, use a turf revitilizer power seeder, pennington smart seed with myco, top dress with at least 1/16 inch good finished compost and spray lots of compost tea - see thread on organic side (Barefoot Yard Pics) for more pics and details. The other key as it relates to this thread is water. I PUT THIS IN CAPS AS THIS IS SOOOOO IMPORTANT. I NEVER DO A JOB WITHOUT IRREGATION. I WILL BUILD IT INTO THE PRICE TO GET HOSES, SPRINKLERS AND TIMERS (WITH BATTERIES). Seeding does not happen without water frequency (not volume) to get the seed to germinate - I only seed in the fall and start here in KY in late Aug and even after a month of 4 times a day (10 mins) minimum water they have to water everyday till we get some major freezes like we have coming up this week 11.16.08. So this takes commitment on both sides or I just flat out tell them -Not interested in failing! I know why I grass grow's - I have eliminated the guess work or luck. So what if you lose some jobs. Lay down your laws and keep selling. In my second year 70% my new jobs this year came from referal.

Stay professional and focus.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=124343&d=1225495841

greenskeeper44
11-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Barefoot just trying to steal some more ideas from you but how many times do you apply the compost tea to the newly seeded lawn. We seeded about 40 lawns this fall. All the ones with irrigation did great but the ones without it were questionable. I know its the homeowners resposibility to water but this fall you know was hot and fairly dry. Would the CT give homeowners without irrigation a better chance?