PDA

View Full Version : Going Home/leaving b4 your staff, do you do it?

oOTurfmanoO
10-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Here is the senario:

You show up at the shop every morning b4 the staff, get them going on the day's assignment and spend time on the job site. The crew knows what they are doing and what the days goals are. You check in with your crew leader/foreman around 4:00 to make sure things are going well with no problems. You then ask him to call you when they get back to the shop as you are going home. Did you or do you do this?

Same senarion applies for mow days! The staff knows what the days goals are and will not stop until they finish the #x house. You really don't need to be sitting at the shop.
Do you go home?

Daily Lawn/Landscape
10-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Yes! that's why I'm the boss. Last year I would not even show up in the morning, the foreman made sure everything was good to go. I would call him after I knew they would be on the road to make sure everything went off without a hitch.

davis45
10-29-2008, 08:59 PM
Good thread but I would like to know how many employee's you guys have?

Swampy
10-29-2008, 11:29 PM
When I was a foreman for a smaller lawn care and landscape company. The owner had a full time job at a municipality, I had no set start time just a set number of mowing accounts to be done in so many days, the rest of the week was for landscaping and other odds and ends. Well three 12 hour days and one usually short 3 hour mowing day.

I relied on him to fill the rest of the week. Not to keep me just busy but keep the guy's busy cause they like money and beer. I made him a deal not just for us but for his company/personal health (seeing the bar was his second home, his third was the tv). At least three days that we are working your working after work I.E. submitting and writing bids, fixing/parts running to keep everything going, and renting equipment.

CALandscapes
10-29-2008, 11:36 PM
I generally do not show up in the morning to meet my guys at the shop; they know what the assignment for the day is, what tools to bring, etc.

On more intricate jobs I generally will meet them at the job site and go over the details with the foreman, as well as answer any questions that they may have.

Occasionally I will spend the day with the crew; this is generally for more complicated and/or important jobs where I feel it necessary for me to be there.

I do not feel bad at all about not being there in the morning or in the afternoon/evening when they finish up for the day. That is not a part of my job description. My job is to handle the clients, keep the jobs coming, ensure that we have the proper equipment in working condition, etc.

mngrassguy
10-30-2008, 01:24 AM
I may go home early, but I NEVER tell them where I'm going. It's none of their business. I might show up anytime anywhere.

Az Gardener
10-30-2008, 07:57 AM
I have between 6-10 employees depending on the time of year. I am where I need to be when I need to be there. It may be in the morning some days and from time to time I do end up at the shop/yard at the end of the day. Nothing really set in stone except for our weekly meeting on Tues morning. We all have our various jobs in a business, while I may not be there physically they know I am always available by phone anytime.

TXNSLighting
10-30-2008, 09:59 AM
No youre the boss. You do what you wanna do when you wanna do it. Keep the work comin and do what a boss does, and theres no problems.

Swampy
10-31-2008, 10:16 PM
No youre the boss. You do what you wanna do when you wanna do it. Keep the work comin and do what a boss does, and theres no problems.

Exactly. Right now just having work keeps people happy.