PDA

View Full Version : how to charge and bid

MidwestLawnService
10-29-2008, 07:23 PM
i was wondering how you guys charge and bid jobs, this is my first year and i sometimes think i'm undercharging or over charging

Florida Gardener
10-29-2008, 09:53 PM
will you be doing cutting by monthly pricing or per cut pricing? either way, figure out how long you think it will take to do the job and how much you want to make per hour. it also depends on your area. Some guys on here cant make much profit on just cutting while in other areas the profits for cutting are way better......also, think of your overhead and add that into the mix. HTH

MidwestLawnService
10-30-2008, 12:48 AM
thanks for the advice

Thomas Wall
10-31-2008, 07:09 PM
If you're talking about mowing jobs, I found that a quick way to come out ahead every time is to find out how much each lawn you do costs YOU! So say you have a 2000 sq ft lawn, and to do that it costs you x ammount gas for your equipment, x amount for gas in your vehicle to get you there, x amount for your time and any employees time, weedearer line, etc. My brother and I have a small lawn maintenance business and we've found that if we charge a penny per sqare foot we come out making around $35.00-$40.00 per hour. (Not bad for a 17 and 15 year old!) I have gotten pretty good at being able to use this system so that when I drive up to a lawn, I can say, "OK, this lawn is 50'x30' so $15.00, and the back is 50'x 20' so $10.00, so I need to charge at least $25.00 for this lawn. hope this helps!:usflag:

CapitalLawnGroup
11-02-2008, 06:04 AM
I usually go by a dollar a minute. This works for cutting and any kind of tree trimming, or flower bed work.

SSmith
11-02-2008, 09:53 AM
I usually go by a dollar a minute. This works for cutting and any kind of tree trimming, or flower bed work.

Why would you charge $15 for a job that people will pay $30 for?

Our customers are paying us to mow their lawns for them because they either don't want to (too busy or don't wanna do the work) or don't have the means to (too old). It's a luxury to almost every single residential customer, not a necessity. Again, it's a LUXURY. Do you pay more for a meal when you go to a restaurant rather than cooking the same thing at home? Of course. Why? Better quality, less effort...a luxury.

Don't screw yourself.