PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid grass

MWHC
12-21-1999, 01:14 PM
Was wondering if any landscape contractors have any thoughts on hybrid grass species that require very little mowing and upkeep. Any thoughts, fears, etc. I was wondering how long before these types of grass start showing up?

smburgess
12-22-1999, 03:35 AM
Found this in the paper. We've got a few years left !! I posted the article at my web site. http://members.tripod.com/southernlawncare/news.htm

larryflint
12-23-1999, 05:32 AM
Why would you want to plant grass that does not grow quickly?<p>If you are a mowing contractor you<br>income depends on the grass actually growing so you can make<br>money by cutting.<p>If you are talking cool-season turf<br>you would want to plant a triple blend rye for it grows faster and is drought resistant than blugrass<br>so you will make more $$$ by having<br>to mow it more often.<p>Your question as stated does not make any sense to me, maybe you<br>could elaborate?<br>

smburgess
10-22-2000, 10:38 AM
It makes great sense if the account is under contract (which 80% of my clients are), which means of course you get paid wether you cut it or not. This being the case, it allow me time to detail other areas of maintenance like - keeping shrubbery timed more often, bed cleanup, etc., still spending less time at the account and increasing profit to boot.

Mr.Ziffel
10-22-2000, 11:51 AM
In searching for seed for a recently planted area, I was offered a hybrid dwarf rye for the lawn area and some type of special pasture grass I can't recall right now which was said to peak out at 12". I was told these were done by selective breeding, not genectic manipulation, but I really am not too concerned about this as I think the Chicken Littles are just having a field day playing on the tree-huggers fears. For the last hundred years researchers have tried to improved crop-seed and this is just the latest iteration. I didn't go for it only because the cost was 3-4 times as much as regular seed [triple blend rye].

LARRY FLINT - maybe you should re-read the question before you jump all over this guy. He asked a straight forward question about thoughts and fears--no advocacy either way and personally, I think the stuff can play great role in the green industry. Your response was uncalled for.
Will M.

Eric ELM
10-22-2000, 12:47 PM
All I saw this guest do was ask a question, then give his opinion, and then asked him to elaborate. This guest, if it's who I think it is, has almost 1000 posts under another screen name and has been a member for over a year. If it's not who I'm think of, it's someone that is using this members old screen name as a guest and playing some tricks on him.

Rodney Anderson
10-22-2000, 08:41 PM
MWHC might try dwarf type tall fescue. Most improved tall fescue if, if planted correctly,grow well on their own.
Rye grasses are ok but will develope slowly in poor soil conditions. The tall fecues will grow about antwhere. Now if you are from far out west or down in the south I cannot help you. Try turf seed.com Another option is seed with a desired turf and select a PGR plant growth regulator.

Mr.Ziffel
10-22-2000, 11:32 PM
Oops! Well, I guess I shot from the hip on that one. Re-reading it, Larryflint doesn't sound quite the way I originally took it, but I thought it was a good question because I had had the same one. Didn't mean to jump on you larry, just took it wrong. Sorry.